Profile for Person > Reviews

The Four Loves
The Four Loves
by C. S. Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars Always a classic, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Four Loves (Paperback)
The Four Loves was not what I expected. Having been brought up on the Chronicles of Narnia I anticipated page after page of "Aha!" moments and warm nostalgic fuzzies. Surprisingly I found myself disagreeing time and again. His misguided notions of women and homosexuality grated on my liberalist views. He sometimes leans towards the anecdotal and sentimental. This is meant as disclaimer, but if you can overlook his sometimes less politically correct views I sincerly encourage you to read this essay. In the beginning some of his points seem mere common sense, not the profound insights we expect from Dr C.S. Lewis. Yet the reader who bears with him will be richly rewarded. C.S. Lewis builds his argument slowly and deftly weaves his tapestry until the full picture is revealed in epilogue. Despite my initial criticism, his simplicity of style is in fact a strength of this piece. His non-fiction is just as accesible as is his childrens fiction- and just as pleasing. Overal a fulfilling read.