Profile for Twicga > Reviews

Content by Twicga

Twicga

Destiny Limited Edition (PS4)
Destiny Limited Edition (PS4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as innovative as we were told to expect., 5 Oct. 2014
This is not what I expected, and was certainly not the typical Bungie game. I found it to be repetitive ("protect Dinklage whilst he works a computer" is how nearly every mission ends), and the story is the most uninteresting, pretentious tripe you could think of.

I was enamoured by the description of this game as a massive online fps, with space travel that takes you across the solar system and a variety of missions and such. To be fair, the multiplayer is really well done, but you can't pause even if you're alone on a mission and just need a wee. Don't even dare tell me that this game is huge; it has big fields of play across the handful of planets whilst your ship slightly improves the loading screen aesthetic (a novelty that quickly wears off when you realise that you've paid for a slightly different loading screen). You have one place to go per planet, and missions usually reuse this same area. A message to game developers: THIS IS NOT SPACE EXPLORATION. I want to go explore, but there is no point. You might come across a chest or dead ghost, but if you want reward you might as well traipse up and down one area shooting everything you see in the hope they drop something interesting. This quickly becomes boring.

This game is not the big space opera we were told to expect. I feel cheated.

This game has taught me never ever to trust game developers again. Even if they're the people behind your favourite childhood fps. Although, to be fair, we should probably place the blame firmly on the publishers. They're the ones who probably told Bungie to cut it down so they can earn some of that sweet DLC money.

3 Meter Extended Micro USB Charging Cable for PS4 Controllers
3 Meter Extended Micro USB Charging Cable for PS4 Controllers
Offered by Noors

3.0 out of 5 stars Did the job for a short while., 5 Oct. 2014
Worked for a week, then the micro-USB jack began to fall apart. I repaired it but it lost its rigidity, and has now (after another week of usage) been rendered completely broken beyond repair as my efforts to place the male end back into position has frayed the metal teeth (I'm afraid I don't know the terminology). It was good while it lasted anyway.

World War Z
World War Z

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely entertaining and very well researched., 15 July 2013
This review is from: World War Z (Kindle Edition)
This book is extremely entertaining; it really immerses you in an entirely believable Daemonium of severed limbs and burning cities, as well as tales of hardship; overcoming the reanimated foe.

I haven't seen the Film, but I can tell you this sets an extremely high standard for it to meet.

Read it. You will love it.

Complete Old English: Teach Yourself Audio eBook (Kindle Enhanced Edition) (Teach Yourself Audio eBooks)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a few unfortunate faults,, 5 July 2013
I love reading this and reciting snippets of Ænglisc. It's a great experience to be able to connect to your roots; especially given how pure and advanced the spelling system was at this stage in the language, and before it was littered with Romance terms and Norman borrowings.

However, I find it disappointing that the pronunciation of the Ænglisc is very modernised. The speakers even use a non-rhotic accent, giving you additional need to build your own pronunciation system as you can't adopt the speaker's (the evils of learning long dead dialects).

But it is fun, and very interesting.

An Introduction to Elvish: And to Other Tongues and Proper Names and Writing Systems of the Third Age of the Western Lands of Middle-earth as Set ... of Professor John Ronald Reuel Tolkien
by Jim Allan

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Introduction, 4 May 2013
I bought this hoping for a complete course in the tongues of Middle-Earth. Upon receiving, I realised the subject was a lot less learnable than I hoped. But, the book does an excellent job of introducing the languages, and the committed reader will soon pick up the Elvish tongues at a basic-to-sort-of-advanced level. I have been reading it for 3 days now, and I already possess the knowledge to translate sentences of Quenya easily, albeit with dipping into the Lexicon occasionally for assistance with unencountered words.

HOWEVER, and this is a pretty big HOWEVER (hence my use of the rarely employed "caps lock" key of my keyboard), this is outdated. There are numerous inaccuracies, and I found myself browsing the interweb for assistance with the "reconstructed" pronouns of Quenya, which are mostly incorrect. Please consider that this IS NOT (more caps!) the blind ignorance of the rather excellent Authorship, as I have only the greatest respect for Jim Allan and his fellow students of the Eldarin tongues, but it is, in actuality, the result of outdated research. These words written in this book were before the release of "The Etymologies", and there are a few grammatical rules which have been proven wrong, as well as the extensive Proto-Eldarin section, which is only partly correct.

Nevertheless, I thoroughly recommend this for the beginning student of Tolkien's languages, but one with a little bit of previous knowledge of grammar and linguistics (perhaps a dip-in student of Latin or Greek). Read a quick guide to linguistics ("the Pocket Linguist", or "Aitchinson's Linguists - Teach Yourself" for the hardcore gangsta), there are quite a few on Amazin' Amazon, or browse the endless wonder that is the Interweb for some linguist guides, and I'm sure you'll feel comfy traversing the epic early research that is "An Introduction to Elvish". You'll be telling Quenya jokes in no time! And after a little bit longer, you'll be telling your friends to jump into an orcish cesspit in an extremely threatening tongue (yes it covers some bits of Black Speech! Yay!) After this book, you'll find yourself wanting to expand your vocabulary; I find myself googling for new bits of Quenya to translate this early on in the reading.

PS Use a highlighter; the book becomes so much easier!