Profile for buster > Reviews

buster

Sum Of The Parts [Blu-ray] [2014] [NTSC]
Sum Of The Parts [Blu-ray] [2014] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Genesis

1.0 out of 5 stars Any programme that can get the 5 members of the classic line-up in a room together after all these years should be a good thing?, 13 Oct 2014
Hmm,

Any programme that can get the 5 members of the classic line-up in a room together after all these years should be a good thing? you would think so, but, really, this is second rate.

It seems to have been put together by someone with not much previous knowledge of the band, but who had researched them. In other words, there's lots of well-known 'singles' material from the albums featured (which actually presents them as hardly 'progressive' at all, but a consummate tight pop outfit). They label the band as 'progressive' but then fail to back that up with examples. All we get is the obvious example of Supper's Ready and an occasional blink-and-you've-missed-it snatch of Home By The Sea or similar.

So, from Selling England we get a few seconds of 'I Know What I Like', that's it. No Wind & Wuthering at all. No mention of Steve's solo career or his emergence as the champion of early Genesis as star of his own tribute band (if you get a chance to see him, do, it's absolutely wonderful), a bare mention of Tony's.

There's little new information here, it's all been done before - the Charterhouse days, Johnathan King (shudder), Ant's stage fright (although it was good to see him interviewed), the fox's head and the red dress, the problems with the Slipperman costume, Phil's eventual acceptance of the singer's role. There must be so much to a band with that much history that we don't know about, it was a glorious, and missed, opportunity to bring out something fresh.

I would much rather have seen more of the band interview than, for instance, Al Murray. With great respect to him, I couldn't care less what he thinks of them, what is his opinion supposed to mean to anyone?

If you love Genesis, you already know more than you'll learn on this disc. Save your money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2014 10:49 PM BST

Live In Amsterdam [Blu-ray] [2014]
Live In Amsterdam [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa

5.0 out of 5 stars As Close To Perfection As It Gets, 2 April 2014
If there's such a thing as perfection, this is it

Once again I find myself asking why this woman isn't a global superstar, selling out stadiums, and, (from an entirely selfish point of view) how lucky are we that it's still possible to buy tickets to see her in comparatively small venues and stand a few feet from her at the foot of the stage while she delivers her own songs with her own band?

I caught this show at Hampton Court last year and was, of course, blown away. Beth is on stonking form, as always, that incomparable voice, kittenishly seductive one minute, raw with emotion the next, and always bang on the note.

It's a dream backing band without a weakness. JoBo is content to play as sideman to Beth's starring role, but comes out to play enough magical solos to keep his own fans more than happy.

The sound and picture match the quality of the music and are beyond reproach.

What can I say? Buy it.

LEICKE KanaaN PC VGA to TV Composite Video RGB Converter + Scart Adapter + 3.5mm Jack to 2x RCA Phono Audio Cable | FREE SHIPPING WITH SUPER SAVER DELIVERY
Offered by LEICKE Germany

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well and Good Value, 11 Aug 2013
Needed a converter so I could watch online tv content on my non-HD plasma. Worked straight out of the box and, using the composite output, produced about the same picture quality as VHS, if you can remember that. More than adequate for general TV watching.

Wagner - Tristan Und Isolde [Barenboim] [DVD] [2009]
Wagner - Tristan Und Isolde [Barenboim] [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Ian Storey

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Introduction To Tristan, 22 Nov 2012
My first exposure to the full opera (have heard the Liebestod many times).

This dvd was bought on the strength of other Amazon recommendations, and a wish to see Waltraude Meier in a starring role, having seen her as Waltraute in the Barenboim Gotterdamerung dvd, and I'm glad I picked this one. Difficult to believe this was 'one take' at a specific performance at La Scala.

The principals all sing and act well. Ian Storey brilliant in his portrayal of the role of Tristan, particularly when his voice blooms in the fortissimos. He looks a bit subdued during the curtain call, as if he felt he could have done better, I don't know why.

Unlike Waltraude Meier, who soaks up the deserved ovation with a grin from ear to ear - she knew she'd been fantastic.

The production is pretty monochrome, except for a bit of greenery when day breaks towards the end of Act 2, Isolde's crimson royal 'wrap', and the line of blood which trickles down her face, very effectively, during the Liebestod. I found the 'fade to black' transitions between close-ups and wide shots to be a bit distracting.

The sound is full and clear, my only gripe being the lack of Dolby Digital. You can choose stereo or DTS.

Anyway, thoroughly recommended.

Wagner - Der Ring des Nibelungen [DVD] [2009] [2011] [NTSC]
Wagner - Der Ring des Nibelungen [DVD] [2009] [2011] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ John Tomlinson

5.0 out of 5 stars New Favourite DVD, 7 Nov 2012
I've listened mainly to Puccini, Verdi and Mozart operas over the years, and this was my first exposure to The Ring. I bought this version on the strength of other Amazon reviews and watched it over 4 days on my home cinema setup with a large projected image and Dolby Digital 5.1.

I could go on and on about the production, the acting, the singing, the orchestra, the quality of the sound recording etc, but will content myself by saying this dvd blew me away and opened my eyes to what is possible in opera. John Tomlinson and Anne Evans in the pivotal roles of Wotan and Brunnhilde are both magnificent.

I own hundreds of dvds of all sorts, music, comedy, films, tv shows etc. This has immediately become my favourite of them all.