Profile for V. J. Edwards > Reviews

Content by V. J. Edwards

V. J. Edwards "victoria_edw"

Page: 1 | 2
Pandaemonium
Pandaemonium
by Christopher Brookmyre
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, but disappointing ending, 8 Jun 2010
This review is from: Pandaemonium (Paperback)
I discovered Chris Brookmyre last year and devoured his books as fast as I could buy them; when this arrived I finished it in a couple of sittings. He's still a favourite author and the book gets 4 stars for style, pacing, story, characters - well everything except....

This was the first time I've had to wait for publication and maybe that built the expectation a bit too high - but really, how far are we supposed to suspend credulity? These same teenagers who have inventively, courageously and bloody-handedly fought the demons throughout are expected to believe the proposed military solution? How does the military plan to account for all the civilian body parts? Talk about a flat ending.

Doctor Who: Beautiful Chaos
Doctor Who: Beautiful Chaos
by Gary Russell
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Completes Donna's story beautifully, 27 Feb 2010
I bought the abridged CD reading of this book last year and was not wildly taken with the adventure. Recently, however, having had the luxury of time, I have yomped my way through all the new series novels and this one stands out. The story as written is so detailed that considerable amounts of text had to be excised for the audio CD and I think that the quality of the story suffered as a result.

The abridgement does not do the story of Donna's family justice at all, and the closing chapter of the book actually made me cry - it is a lovely addendum to the story of Donna Noble and leaves you feeling considerably better about her being returned home to her mother's care. Sylvia Noble has generally been portrayed as a bitter and judgemental battleaxe - this story rounds her out very well.

I thoroughly recommend getting hold of this book whether or not you have heard the audio CD.

"Doctor Who": Dead Air: (10th Doctor, Audio Original)
"Doctor Who": Dead Air: (10th Doctor, Audio Original)
by James Goss
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but too short for decent plot development, 16 Feb 2010
I recommend this book, honestly. It's just that ...

Having paid the full pre-order price for this audiobook I was very disappointed on receipt to find that it is only half the length of the usual Doctor Who audio offering - and even more so to find on coming on line to post this review that the price has been nearly halved already.

That said, it's a good story and, as ever, well read by the estimable Mr T, who does some lovely Merseyside accents. It's just a shame that the running time gives no time for plot subtleties and you can see each development coming for miles. The effect was like reading a short story in the Doctor Who annual when you had anticipated one of the better novelisations.

Four stars, as despite the excellence of the reading I was disconcerted by the fact that the bass balance appeared to have been turned up on DT's voice to emphasise the notion that this was a restored analogue recording - this became quite offputting after a while.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2010 11:23 AM GMT

Quite Ugly One Morning
Quite Ugly One Morning
by Christopher Brookmyre
Price: 7.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Wickedly funny, acerbic genius, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Quite Ugly One Morning (Paperback)
This was the third copy of QUOM that I have bought - first the audiobook, read with great gusto and a virtuoso display of different voices by David Tennant; then, as that was an abridged recording, the original book. This time, I was buying it to give to somebody else!
Christopher Brookmyre was a new discovery last year, and I loved his books so much that I now own all but the latest. I highly recommend this author if you can put up with his occasional anti-politician and -religious rants. Oh, and the gore of course. And the ripe language!
The thing is, of course, that the sum of all these parts is so much greater than the whole. The man is a genius - this was his first book and is a good place to start. Go buy!

"Doctor Who": The Doctor Trap: (Abridged Book)
"Doctor Who": The Doctor Trap: (Abridged Book)
by Simon Messingham
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 9.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Audiobook is NOT background listening material. The hardback is much better., 25 Mar 2009
The audiobook was an enjoyable story, but sufficiently puzzling at points that it required my full attention. Having subsequently read the hardback edition I could see why - as with Beautiful Chaos, I don't think that the abridgement covered all the background and plot points well enough, and would recommend the hardback if choosing between the two.

That aside, the audiobook is a good enough offering - Russell Tovey reads well and with reasonably good characterisation in his voice. I prefer the books actually read by David T. and Catherine T., but this would definitely sit happily alongside those.

Sleepers [DVD] [1991] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Sleepers [DVD] [1991] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Nigel Havers

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't praise this one highly enough, 25 Feb 2009
Buy this, it's great. All you need to know, really, but I know that's not enough for a review!
This is one of the best pieces of drama the BBC ever produced, packaged for and only available through the US American market (Region 1). Developed and set in 1990, it will resonate strongly with viewers who have any memory of the Cold War but is a touching, funny, moving, thrilling, altogether delightful story of two Russian "sleeper" agents dispatched to Britain in 1965 with orders to become more British than the natives - at which they are hugely successful. Twenty five years on their existence is rediscovered by the KGB and the story revolves around their attempts to stay ahead of their masters, the CIA and the British secret service - all depicted as gloriously, wonderfully parodied studies of national stereotypes.
It's marvellous. Get it!

Doctor Who: The Story of Martha
Doctor Who: The Story of Martha
by Dan Abnett
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic addition to the canonical story, 25 Feb 2009
I really enjoyed this book, enough to read it twice in quick succession. This is all the more impressive as I really don't particularly like the character of Martha Jones and would mark her lowest of the "new Who" companions.
Starting and ending with Martha's arrival back in Britain, different segments of the story have been written by different authors and I think this is a strength. I found it really interesting to fill in some of the gaps of her year abroad whilst the Master ruled and was particularly gripped by her visit to Japan. Thoroughly recommended.

Doctor Who: Series 4
Doctor Who: Series 4
Price: 11.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Become a geek like me ..., 14 Oct 2008
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 4 (Audio CD)
I would frankly buy this CD for "Song of Freedom" alone, but happily feel confident that Murray Gold's work, and Ben Foster conducting the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, will more than repay the investment. Don't miss this, you really would be missing out. Many tracks from the music for series 1 to 3 are consistently high on my "recently played" list on iTunes - Murray Gold is a genius, pure and simple. Four weeks, five days and counting ...

Doctor Who - The Complete Series 3 Box Set [DVD] [2007]
Doctor Who - The Complete Series 3 Box Set [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Price: 15.21

4.0 out of 5 stars A mixture of good, better and best, 14 Sep 2007
(Note to only previous reviewer, J. Blake - this set has 6 DVDs in it. Looking at the details on Play.com, I believe this is four of season episodes, 1 of The Runaway Bride and 1 of Confidential).
OK: the good? Gridlock and the Dalek story - I think it was a very poor idea to print the Radio Times cover spoiler showing the human dalek, but the story was frankly tepid anyway. And Gridlock - Russell T. seems to think that Dr Who needs guest stars. Well - sometimes, when there is a good story and they are recognisable. Neither of these applied to Gridlock! However, Dr Who is incapable of being less than Good.
The better? Nearly everything else. The best? Hmmm ... let me see ... everything else, really. How do you choose between John Smith in 1913 and John Simm in the 21st Century?

Domestic Pleasures
Domestic Pleasures
by Beth Richardson Gutcheon

5.0 out of 5 stars Domestic Bliss, 25 Jun 2007
This review is from: Domestic Pleasures (Paperback)
I have a simple rule for buying books - if I cannot bear to lay the book back on a shelf after a few pages, it comes home with me. Domestic Pleasures passed this test after the first sentence! It is one of my favourite books of all time and has been frequently re-read. I have not felt the same about any other of the author's books, this is a one-off wonder of rapturously wonderful storytelling and I would recommend it to anyone.

Page: 1 | 2