ARRAY(0xbbe622a0)

Profile for Seeker > Reviews

Content by Seeker

Seeker (England)

Faith Styles: The Way People Believe (Spiritual Directors International Book) (Spiritual Directors International Books)
by John R. Mabry
Price: 11.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Style rather than stage, 22 April 2008
an interesting look at belief position as a style category rather than as a developmental stage (compared to Fowler's stages of faith development). Mabry defines his categories based on what people believe and how that manifests itself in terms of 'religious' involvement, 'spiritual' practices and self-perceived areas for growth/development. The book lists some advantages and disadvantages for each style and there are suggestions on how to relate to and help each style (not all are theistic/religious). There is also a brief analysis of how spiritual director/client relationships might work (or not) based on the relative styles of each. I was able to relate to one of the styles, so it was helpful for me in clarifying some of the issues I face.

My only caveat is that it is a relatively slim volume offering an introduction to this approach and is based on the experiences of a limited sample of mainly Americans - although some non-Americans took part in Mabry's research.

Thirst
Thirst
by Mary Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars Thirst-quenching!, 1 Mar 2008
This review is from: Thirst (Paperback)
This is the first book of Mary Oliver's poems I've read and have bought some others as a result. Her words transported me to moments of real depth and honesty. I found my 'thirsty soul' moved and refreshed by such poems as 'The Place I Want To Get Back To' and 'When I Am Among The Trees'. A book to read and return to!

After the Church: Divine Encounter in a Sexual Age
After the Church: Divine Encounter in a Sexual Age
by Claire Henderson Davis
Price: 8.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth reading!, 4 Jan 2008
This book is an exploration of key Christian themes (the Fall, Babel to Pentecost, Incarnation, the Trinity, the Body of Christ, Worship) from a post-church perspective. The author re-interprets them in a way that makes more sense to her than church-based interpretations.

If Christianity is to be really meaningful today, it needs to connect with people's everyday lived experience - it needs to scratch where people itch. The author identifies contemporary unmet needs and simmering anxieties, and shows how Christian themes and texts can be re-interpreted to have something relevant to say. This book reveals an interesting step forward in post-church Christianity.

My only criticism of the book is that it is too short at 77 pages - I was left wanting more.

There is Nothing Wrong with You: Going Beyond Self-Hate, A Compassionate Process for Learning to Accept Yourself Exactly as You Are
by Cheri Huber
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars how to stop torturing yourself and start being kind to yourself instead, 18 Jun 2007
I cried when I read the first page of this book - it was such a relief because I suddenly felt free from having to mentally torture myself anymore. It felt like permission to finally stop. I disagree about the typeface - I like it, it's like having a conversation with someone rather than reading a textbook. If you're reading this review, then this book might be just what you need - it was definitely what I needed to help me start dealing with my self-hatred!

Life
Life
by Edward Monkton

5.0 out of 5 stars LIfe, the universe and gay shopping, 29 May 2007
This review is from: Life (Hardcover)
This book always makes me laugh - Monkton is a genius for his quirky take on life (and death - see the Penguin of Death - my favourite of his books). His comments are witty and observant, and the illustrations are great (if you're ever short of something to do on a rainy day, you could always colour them in yourself). We recently gave a copy of this book to some friends as a wedding present and they loved it.

Living Free
Living Free
by H.A. Williams
Price: 16.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Look beneath the surface and see what's really there, 18 Jan 2007
This review is from: Living Free (Hardcover)
This a short book with Harry Williams' views about this time of change for the churches (and whether they can read and adapt to the signs of the times), the ways in which 'God' is to be found in the everyday fabric of people's lives, and why people of 'good will' don't always find the 'God of the churches' attractive/realistic. One criticism, the final chapter seemed odd given where the fourth chapter left off - perhaps written earlier? And I wished the book had been longer! Harry Williams is someone who seems to have seen below the surface of things to what is real and worthwhile. Definitely worth a read (as are True Wilderness and True Resurrection).

The Penguin of Death
The Penguin of Death
by Edward Monkton
Price: 5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Profoundly and hauntingly moving, 13 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Penguin of Death (Hardcover)
I picked this up in a bookshop, also attracted by the strange title, whilst looking for a Christmas present for a friend. I was so delighted by it that I bought 2 copies, one for my friend and one for me! EM is witty, insightful and joyful. If you want to treat yourself or a friend, buy this book!

On Being Liked: 17
On Being Liked: 17
by James Alison
Price: 10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars This could change your way of thinking, 1 Oct 2006
This review is from: On Being Liked: 17 (Paperback)
Yes this is difficult to understand in places and yet it is worth perservering. I think it offers insights to individuals, groups and cultures as to why we, as humans, seem to make the same mistakes over and over again. It offers a chance to re-evaluate the way in which we relate to ourselves, to others, to the world and to what is sacred/divine.