Profile for Cee Jay > Reviews

Content by Cee Jay

Cee Jay (Dorset, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Back Pain: What Really Works ("Daily Telegraph" Books) ("Daily Telegraph" Books)
by Arthur C. Klein

5.0 out of 5 stars unlike any other "fix your back" book, this one is actually helpful, 5 May 2014
I have tried everything to mend my back after a radical neck dissection in 1996. I've suffered moderate to severe pain ever since, and a paralysed scapula which means I can't use my left arm. The medical profession has made me feel that I'm making the pain up, or exaggerating it. I've tried everything "alternative" and been on oxycodone, morphine, gabapentin, dothiepin, everything. Nothing helps.

This book not only tells you what methods might help, it also rates their success based on actual user reviews. I was so grateful to learn that other people have the same experience (of the medical system) as I did: they also felt fobbed off and passed around the houses.

There were only 2 pain relief methods in the book that I hadn't tried (Rolfing and inversion) so they are now on my list and I have a little hope for the future again.

If you, or anyone you know, has unresolved back pain, you must read this book. I got it at the library but would pay money for it, if only for its sympathetic ear.

66fit Professional Inversion Table
66fit Professional Inversion Table
Price: 179.00

4.0 out of 5 stars a strong bit of kit, 5 May 2014
I am desperate for relief from the back pain that's plagued me for 20 years. I've been on every pill, tried every therapy (yoga, acupuncture, physio, Shiatsu, swimming, walking, meditation, everything).

I happened to read Arthur C.Klein's book "Back Pain: What Really Works" and it mentioned inversion tables. I'd never even heard of it, certainly it's never been mentioned by any of the doctors & nurses I've seen over the years.

I ordered this model which arrived actually a day earlier than stated, so I wasn't in.
I'm not much good at constructing flat packs, but 2 of us had this up & working within 40 mins (the written instructions don't seem to have much in common with the photos, and the photos, being all black instead of line drawings are no help at all, so we winged it).

It took a bit of tinkering with the pins (standard pin system that you get on gym equipment) to find the right setting for me, then we tried it on husband, who is twice my weight and a foot taller. It held his weight without complaining or wobbling, and he inverted properly on setting 2 after a few tinkers with the height and foot adjustments. If you aren't able to invert by lifting your arms over your head, or you can't get yourself back upright by lowering your arms, then you need to adjust the height measurement an inch either way.

It's a weird feeling at first, you feel like you're going to fall on your head but you won't if your feet are in properly (adjust the ankle pin to trap your feet in properly, release it to get out again). Have someone 'spot' you the first few times, until you get the hang of it.

We also tried lifting a small hand weight in the "lying triceps dumbbell extension" exercise, and it was really hard! I can see why bodybuilders like using inversion to make a workout more challenging.

I think we're going to go for setting 1 now, which gives a more vertical inversion. It's too early to tell if this is going to help my back (I have rhomboid pain, rather than the much more common lumbar pain, but I'll try anything).

Nasalcrom Nasal Spray Relieves Nasal Allergy Symptoms - 26 Ml
Nasalcrom Nasal Spray Relieves Nasal Allergy Symptoms - 26 Ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an end to hayfever misery, 5 May 2014
I'm a gardener and I'm usually suffering from itchy weeping eyes, sneezing and infected sinuses by now, even on anti-histamine tablets and Beconase nasal spray.

In desperation I asked my GP to go on a list for immunotherapy, but he suggested I try to get hold of this Nasalcrom, which isn't stocked in the UK it seems (although I could get the eye drops).

I can't believe how good it is: I only use it once or twice a week (it says up to 4 sprays a day) and am in the gardens 8 hours a day, but have no allergic symptoms at all. I can breathe again :)

It was well worth the cost (20, not on prescription)

The Better Bag Maker: An Illustrated Handbook of Handbag Design
The Better Bag Maker: An Illustrated Handbook of Handbag Design
by Nicole Mallalieu
Price: 15.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A superior home-sewn bag, 5 May 2014
I love how professional these bags look, not home sewn at all

I usually buy Kipling bags as they're lightweight, full of pockets & pretty too, but they are expensive. Now I can start making my own

TRESemme 2805U Volume Curl Tong - 32 mm
TRESemme 2805U Volume Curl Tong - 32 mm
Offered by Premier Life Store
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate Middleton style curls, 29 Jan 2014
I'm lazy with my hair, I really can't be bothered to "do" it, but on occasion I need to look presentable in public. I have dry frizzy ends which even serum can't tame, and it always looked tatty until someone suggested I use a jumbo curler. I can now do my hair in about 10 mins.

It's brilliant: heats up almost instantly, and gives large loose curls (like Kate Middleton's) rather than tiny tight curls that the smaller barrel tongs give. My hair now looks styled rather than strawlike

Trixie Biker Bag, 35  28  29 cm
Trixie Biker Bag, 35 28 29 cm
Price: 24.70

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly useful puppy carrier, 29 Jan 2014
I bought mine in 2011 and it's still going strong: in fact No.2 pup is asleep in it right now. Nothing has broken on it, all the zips are intact and so are the handles.

While they're little puppies (up to about 4kg) I bike them around in it, but once they get heavy they start to affect my steering too much, and they go in the DoggyRide trailer instead.
No.2 pup has been to the vet's in it (it's great for the car as well as on the bike), and she's using it as a bed/crate while we housetrain her (she was pooping in the crate, but won't poop in the Trixie because it's that much smaller).

I'm now looking for a larger version of the Trixie Biker Bag, so I can get both dogs (10kg adult weight each) in the car.

Psychopath Free: Recovering from Emotionally Abusive Relationships With Narcissists, Sociopaths, & Other Toxic People
by Peace
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars this will sort your head out, 3 Nov 2013
I've read dozens, probably all, the books on narcissism, but I missed this one because I wasn't searching for 'psychopath' even though that's what I called my ex.
When this little book arrived I wanted to hate it: obviously self-published with a thin curling cover & low-quality graphic of a caged bird flying free, and written under the hippy pseudonym of 'Peace'.

However, it is right on the money, a brilliant little book that will sort your head out if you've been tangled up with a narcissist, sociopath or psychopath, whatever you want to call them. Those people who twist everything you say, who lie to your face without blushing, who belittle & insult you then claim THEY'RE the victim. All those nasty little mind games they play, they're right here.

It's written very well, only the odd typo (sorry, I'm a proofreader) and is mercifully free of annoying prose. It's down-to-earth, practical, BS free. It explains how your relationship started out like a fairytale: s/he showered you with compliments & praise, lavished gifts on you, called you the best thing that ever happened to them, called you 'soulmate' after just a few weeks. Then things start to go wrong, and you find s/he is insulting you, winding you up, being mean, flirting with their ex on social media. They break up with you, and while you are left heartbroken & confused, they're already in another relationship, and it's being flaunted right in your face (on faceb00k).
"Peace" explains that this was all a set-up, it was all staged, deliberately to ensnare you, make you fall in love, and then dump you. It's a game to the controller, they never did care for you, and they don't care for their other exes or their next partner (victim) either.

You didn't get caught out because you're stupid or because you're a masochist: you got caught because you're a caring kind person who tries to see the best in people. Because you would never treat someone so badly, you fail to recognise or believe it when someone does it to you: you forgive them, you give them another chance, you believe them when they say "it'll never happen again". Later on, when they really start to gaslight & crazymake you, you'll think you're going mad. They will TELL you you're going mad, imagining things, being paranoid, crazy. They will accuse you of being the things they are being: nasty, lying, abusive. They will shout at you and then say they never shouted, YOU were shouting. They will deny saying or doing things that you know darn sure they did, and they will convince you that YOU said or did those things. They are that manipulative & devious & unpleasant.

Your friends & family won't believe you because they always see the good (false) side of the abuser, who turns on the charm like a tap (faucet).

This book shows you the red flags that you missed or dismissed, it explains why nobody ever believes you when you say what your partner does in private, and why you "don't just leave".
Once you retrain yourself NOT to give these people a 2nd, 3rd or 10th chance, you are well on your way to avoiding being caught out time after time after time. You can break the cycle.

This one stays on my bookshelf with the work of Lundy Bancroft & Patricia Evans.

1,500 Color Mixing Recipes for Oil, Acrylic & Watercolor
1,500 Color Mixing Recipes for Oil, Acrylic & Watercolor
by William F. Powell
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars better than art school, 20 Oct 2013
I'm really impressed by this book: it's taught me more about colour mixing than 7 years of art school did. If you're unsure how to mix a certain blue, for instance, look at all the colour chips and find out exactly what shade to mix with what.

The section on skin colour mixing is of most use to me: my brain says to use cream (for white skin) ~ I'd never have thought of mixing raw sienna + white + alizarin or yellow + burnt sienna + cadmium orange (for Latino skin tones).

There's an interesting index at the back. Say you want to paint a chestnut coloured horse: the index directs you to paint chip #315, which is cadmium vermilion + ivory black; "asparagus" (green) is made of white + cad yellow medium + viridian (paint chip/swatch #60).

Included are two clear plastic mixing palettes: allowing you to exactly measure out 6 parts of blue, 4 parts yellow, etc. It also tells you how to mix interesting greys (it's not white + black).

It's taken so much guesswork and frustration out of my painting.

Procter Pest-Stop Sure-set Plastic Mousetrap Twinpack
Procter Pest-Stop Sure-set Plastic Mousetrap Twinpack
Price: 4.06

5.0 out of 5 stars 11 mice in two days, 10 July 2013
I'd been using the old style wooden traps (Little Nipper) for years, and catching a mouse now and again (we get mice in our garage, and they eat our stored work clothes, camping equipment & pet food. We've had 100s of damage).

Then I found a nest in the roof, after following the squeaks & scratches I could hear. I found the babies but no adults, so wanted a new more effective trap than the wooden ones. With the wooden traps, the mice were stealing the bait without setting off the trap.

I bought 4 traps (two black, two white, they are the same design) and caught one mouse within half an hour (baited with peanut butter) then a further ten mice over the next 2 days. Shocked, surprised and pleased.

I'm now leaving the four traps baited in different places around the garage. Look where you see mouse poops or food piles (they were stealing sunflower seeds and piling the husks up in places) and leave traps where the mice go, and not just on the floor. We've caught mice on each of the shelves that line the garage walls. We can't store our stuff in the house, the house is too small, and we've closed up all the gaps that we've found, but they're nesting in the garage roof.
Move the traps around because the mice aren't daft, they get to know where the danger is.

Unlike the wooden traps, you don't need to touch the mouse to release it from the trap: just open the plastic jaws and out it falls. I put the dead mice on the dog poop compost heap, they soon disappear: composting bacteria eat them up in just a few weeks, along with all the dog's poops (I don't use this compost on edible crops, only on the flower beds).

Highly recommended trap, these are the best, well worth the money (I bought them on amazon, but they're available in most garden centres)

STV148 - ULTRA POWER MOUSE TRAPS - TWINPACK
STV148 - ULTRA POWER MOUSE TRAPS - TWINPACK
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I got 11 mice in two days, 10 July 2013

Highly recommended trap, these are the best, well worth the money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8