Profile for Cee Jay > Reviews

Content by Cee Jay

Cee Jay (Dorset, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Sowing Seeds in the Desert: Natural Farming, Global Restoration, and Ultimate Food Security
by Masanobu Fukuoka

2.0 out of 5 stars nothing new, just buy O.S.R., 23 Sep 2014
I loved the One Straw Revolution. This one doesn't add anything, so just buy OSR

Hold it!: How to Sew Bags, Totes Duffels, Pouches and More
Hold it!: How to Sew Bags, Totes Duffels, Pouches and More
by Nancy Restuccia

2.0 out of 5 stars dated, not on trend enough for me, 23 Sep 2014
Dated, and I found I already had most of the patterns in Mary Mulari's book "Made for Travel"

Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Mitochondria, Not Hypochondria (Diagnosing & Treating)
by Sarah Myhill

4.0 out of 5 stars Dr Myhill: she gets it, 23 Sep 2014
If I had any doubt that I have CFS, this book confirmed it. I have lots of the symptoms (which aren't just fatigue), and this book's given me more & better info than any GP has over the 20 years I've been suffering, and the support & understanding you just don't get from friends & family who think you're putting it on (when they only see you on your 'good' days, not your bad).
I did groan when I discovered I'd have to buy loads of good bacteria drinks, vitamins & supplements (been there, done that, didn't work), but Dr Myhill claims great success with her methods, and I'll give anything a try, because at the moment just vacuuming the house exhausts me for the whole day.
To her credit, she recognises that ill people tend to not have much money, being unable to hold down a good job, and she doesn't just try to push the reader into spending £££s on her tests & supplements.
It's early days ~ if the regime cures me, I'll upgrade the score to 5 stars

"ADOPT ME" Yellow Colour Coded Medium Vest Dog Harness (Needs A Home) Donate To Your Local Charity!
Offered by Friendly Dog Collars

4.0 out of 5 stars fab idea, but expensive for what it is, 23 Sep 2014
What a great idea. I discovered this vest when I was fostering some Yorkies, but I didn't order as it was too big (and too expensive). I sewed my own out of scrap fabric using Simplicity 3939 pattern, adding the satin-stitched lettering myself. The dogs got SO much attention wearing their "adopt me" jackets while out on walkies. Terrific idea. I'm going to get an "ignore me I'm training" and a "don't feed me" one next

GLOWMASTER LUXURY FLEECE HEATED ELECTRIC OVERBLANKET BLANKET THROW CREAM BROWN
GLOWMASTER LUXURY FLEECE HEATED ELECTRIC OVERBLANKET BLANKET THROW CREAM BROWN

5.0 out of 5 stars the dogs are addicted to it, 23 Sep 2014
Brilliant, much better than the short-lived Lidl / Aldi one I had previously. It's big enough to wrap me and four dogs up in on the sofa.
Temp number 2 is enough for us in the autumn, the old one never got hot enough, then it died. We saved a lot of money on heating by using a heated blanket, only putting the central heating on when it dropped below 15c in the house

Kong Jump-n-Jack, Large
Kong Jump-n-Jack, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars tougher than a staffie, 23 Sep 2014
This review is from: Kong Jump-n-Jack, Large (Misc.)
I ordered the large for our staffie who destroyed every toy we bought her, in minutes. The Jump n Jack survived her jaws but she bored of it, preferring her tug toy "HAPPYPET TOUGH TOYS FRAME BALL"
So, it got passed on to our friend's Frenchy pup, and it's his favourite toy EVER. He loves the erratic bounce, and we're in stitches as he leaps at it, like a goalkeeper, in totally the wrong direction. It bounces really well on concrete, rolls really well on grass, but is less fun on the beach.
A big advantage over round balls: it doesn't roll away down a slope like balls do (we've lost so many tennis balls that way).
It's also the only toy my dad's toy poodle will play with.

Back Pain: What Really Works (Daily Telegraph)
Back Pain: What Really Works (Daily Telegraph)
by Arthur Klein

5.0 out of 5 stars unlike any other "fix your back" book, this one is actually helpful, 5 May 2014
I have tried everything to mend my back after a radical neck dissection in 1996. I've suffered moderate to severe pain ever since, and a paralysed scapula which means I can't use my left arm. The medical profession has made me feel that I'm making the pain up, or exaggerating it. I've tried everything "alternative" and been on oxycodone, morphine, gabapentin, dothiepin, everything. Nothing helps.

This book not only tells you what methods might help, it also rates their success based on actual user reviews. I was so grateful to learn that other people have the same experience (of the medical system) as I did: they also felt fobbed off and passed around the houses.

There were only 2 pain relief methods in the book that I hadn't tried (Rolfing and inversion) so they are now on my list and I have a little hope for the future again.

If you, or anyone you know, has unresolved back pain, you must read this book. I got it at the library but would pay money for it, if only for its sympathetic ear.

66fit Professional Inversion Table
66fit Professional Inversion Table

4.0 out of 5 stars a strong bit of kit, 5 May 2014
I am desperate for relief from the back pain that's plagued me for 20 years. I've been on every pill, tried every therapy (yoga, acupuncture, physio, Shiatsu, swimming, walking, meditation, everything).

I happened to read Arthur C.Klein's book "Back Pain: What Really Works" and it mentioned inversion tables. I'd never even heard of it, certainly it's never been mentioned by any of the doctors & nurses I've seen over the years.

I ordered this model which arrived actually a day earlier than stated, so I wasn't in.
I'm not much good at constructing flat packs, but 2 of us had this up & working within 40 mins (the written instructions don't seem to have much in common with the photos, and the photos, being all black instead of line drawings are no help at all, so we winged it).

It took a bit of tinkering with the pins (standard pin system that you get on gym equipment) to find the right setting for me, then we tried it on husband, who is twice my weight and a foot taller. It held his weight without complaining or wobbling, and he inverted properly on setting 2 after a few tinkers with the height and foot adjustments. If you aren't able to invert by lifting your arms over your head, or you can't get yourself back upright by lowering your arms, then you need to adjust the height measurement an inch either way.

It's a weird feeling at first, you feel like you're going to fall on your head but you won't if your feet are in properly (adjust the ankle pin to trap your feet in properly, release it to get out again). Have someone 'spot' you the first few times, until you get the hang of it.

We also tried lifting a small hand weight in the "lying triceps dumbbell extension" exercise, and it was really hard! I can see why bodybuilders like using inversion to make a workout more challenging.

I think we're going to go for setting 1 now, which gives a more vertical inversion. It's too early to tell if this is going to help my back (I have rhomboid pain, rather than the much more common lumbar pain, but I'll try anything).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2014 2:46 PM BST

Nasalcrom Nasal Spray Relieves Nasal Allergy Symptoms - 26 Ml
Nasalcrom Nasal Spray Relieves Nasal Allergy Symptoms - 26 Ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an end to hayfever misery, 5 May 2014
I'm a gardener and I'm usually suffering from itchy weeping eyes, sneezing and infected sinuses by now, even on anti-histamine tablets and Beconase nasal spray.

In desperation I asked my GP to go on a list for immunotherapy, but he suggested I try to get hold of this Nasalcrom, which isn't stocked in the UK it seems (although I could get the eye drops).

I can't believe how good it is: I only use it once or twice a week (it says up to 4 sprays a day) and am in the gardens 8 hours a day, but have no allergic symptoms at all. I can breathe again :)

It was well worth the cost (£20, not on prescription)

The Better Bag Maker: An Illustrated Handbook of Handbag Design
The Better Bag Maker: An Illustrated Handbook of Handbag Design
by Nicole Mallalieu

5.0 out of 5 stars A superior home-sewn bag, 5 May 2014
I love how professional these bags look, not home sewn at all

I usually buy Kipling bags as they're lightweight, full of pockets & pretty too, but they are expensive. Now I can start making my own

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8