Profile for Angie Walker > Reviews

Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore
Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read..., 17 Jun 2014
Highly recommend this book. Very entertaining, enlightening and beautifully written. I look forward to reading the sequel which shall be my next purchase.

The Poisonous Past
The Poisonous Past
Price: 3.45

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing and invigorating read!, 17 April 2014
This is a 5 star novel with a 4 star rating because there are some issues with the editing which, I feel, need to be addressed. I felt that two of the characters names were mixed up at one point in the book and I found that really confusing (Jed and Jake). I'm frustrated to rate this only 4 stars as I really loved the story. It provided a fresh perspective on Thatcher's Britain (for those too young to remember her reign), the Miners' Strike and a stark look at the issues faced in communities across Scotland today, and throughout the world. The exploration of youth apathy is important and much-needed in the current climate. I am unsure as to whether this book was self-published as I couldn't find much info on Glenmill Publishing, but in the right hands this could be a big hit. I look forward to reading more of this writer's work.

In Search of Adam
In Search of Adam
Price: 2.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A most magnificent debut..., 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: In Search of Adam (Kindle Edition)
Judging by the reviews, some people seem to miss the point of this book. It is a very tough read but it's one that should be pushed upon every adult in the country. The issues in this book are very real. There are many abused children in our midst. My hope is that this extremely well-written novel makes each of us more aware and alert. Many children don't have a voice. Many children just like Jude. Another important point is that bereavement in children is very often overlooked which can have far-reaching consequences. This novel is realism at buteits finest. Thank you for writing it, Caroline Smailles.

Soul Destruction: Unforgivable (a story of drug addiction and prostitution)
Soul Destruction: Unforgivable (a story of drug addiction and prostitution)
Price: 1.82

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 4 Nov 2013
A realistic portrayal of prostitution and drug addiction. The characters are well drawn and the story engaging. Can't wait for the next book in this series.

Stumbledirt
Stumbledirt

5.0 out of 5 stars More, please!, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Stumbledirt (Kindle Edition)
Beautifully written, Stumbledirt is a novel which draws you into another world from the outset. The characters are rich and fulsome, well-drawn and strangely familiar. The story twists and turns and holds the reader's attention throughout. There are some difficult topics addressed in the novel with sensitivity and skill. The humour is plentiful and at times laugh-out-loud hilarious. The story is one which I think will stay with me for some time and I really will miss the comings and goings at Stumbledirt. Excellent debut.

Woman Walks into a Bar
Woman Walks into a Bar
Price: 1.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A jolly good read, 30 Sep 2013
I really enjoyed this book and am happy to have helped the worthy cause that the writer has chosen to donate her royalties to. All round feel good story.

99 Reasons Why
99 Reasons Why
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkly hilarious..., 8 July 2013
This review is from: 99 Reasons Why (Kindle Edition)
Well, what a read this was! I don't really know what to say other than it's brilliant. I found myself (on many occasions) laughing uproariously and feeling guilty about it. And the 'choose your own ending'? Genius. Just loved it. There is something about Caroline Smailes' writing that lingers and never quite leaves. I felt the same when I finished The Drowning of Arthur Braxton, albeit a very different book. Her storytelling is such that you never want it to end.

The Women's Room (Virago Modern Classics Book 437)
The Women's Room (Virago Modern Classics Book 437)
Price: 4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for all females!, 5 July 2013
I find it frustrating, and sad, that this book is still relevant in 2013. That said, it is an excellent read and one I wish I'd known about as a younger woman. Buy it for your daughters!

Head Boy (Lanarkshire Strays)
Head Boy (Lanarkshire Strays)
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Head Boy is first class..., 4 July 2013
Mark Wilson is a cracking storyteller, with each book more satisfying than it's predecessor. I love that you never know quite what to expect and that he doesn't box himself into a certain genre, as he is clearly a skilled and talented author. It's great to read something which has local points of reference and for that I thank Mark Wilson and Des McAnulty (Life is Local) for putting Lanarkshire firmly on the map.

Davie Diller is an emotionally inept young man and a scary bastard. I think I quite fancy him! I was particularly pleased to see PTSD feature in the novel and be handled in a respectful and realistic manner.
I devoured the entire book in one sitting. This novella introduces a strongly drawn protagonist and an excellent supporting cast. Toe-curling acts of violence sit alongside laugh out loud humour in a style reminiscent of Brookmyre. Great stuff.

The Humans
The Humans
Price: 2.69

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're human, you'll love it..., 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Humans (Kindle Edition)
I thought this was a great read and I want to be Matt Haig when I grow up. It's insightful without pretension, a simple story with a trillion threads running through it. And I'm so very glad he highlighted the closed laptop as a relevant point because I am one of the pedants who would have had to check :-)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3