Profile for madcomputerscientist > Reviews

Content by madcomputersci...

madcomputerscientist

Page: 1 | 2
Avery Mini Labels Inkjet 40 per Sheet 45.7x25.4mm White - Ref J8654-25 (1000 Labels)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good labels; somewhat on the expensive side, 15 Nov 2014
I've used these labels quite regularly for a number of years. They are of good quality, and the box they come in is convenient for storing the labels both before and after printing. They're a bit expensive, though, compared to unbranded ones.

Identification Or Multi Purpose White Peelable Round Cornered Label - 40 Labels Per Sheet - 50 Sheets 45.7mm x 25.4mm
Offered by Labels-Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Good labels, and excellent value for money!, 15 Nov 2014
These labels are much cheaper than the Avery ones, but are of perfectly adequate quality in my opinion. My particular printer (an HP OfficeJet Pro 8000) is somewhat prone to misfeeding labels, but I had less trouble than usual, perhaps because the paper surface seems a bit rougher than Avery's. I'm very pleased with this purchase, and have now ordered some more.

Fireangel CO-9D Digital Sealed for Life Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Fireangel CO-9D Digital Sealed for Life Carbon Monoxide Alarm

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally pleased with this product, but display could be better, 15 Nov 2014
This product is neat and small, and it's good to have a continuous readout which is capable of showing even quite low concentrations of carbon monoxide. I would have preferred the numbers on the display to have been bigger, and also the display contrast could be greater. However I like the fact that there is also a quite bold "bar graph" which will start to fill up should we ever have a carbon monoxide problem ... and there's an alarm too, of course. Overall I'm pleased with the product thus far, and I think it's excellent value for money.

Genuine Sony Ericsson BA600 Phone Battery BA600 3.7V 1290mAh for Xperia U ST25i
Genuine Sony Ericsson BA600 Phone Battery BA600 3.7V 1290mAh for Xperia U ST25i
Offered by Glitzy Gizmos

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 22 Sep 2014
As one would hope, this battery is lasting much longer on each charge than my phone's original battery, which has now been in constant use for two years. I would strongly recommend anyone ordering this product to double-check with the supplier whether they will be sending you a new, unused battery, and whether it has the "Sony Ericsson" holographic sticker guaranteeing genuineness. The battery I received lacked the sticker (it just had a small round, unbranded one that said "No problem"), and had the same impression marks as my original battery. In the case of my original battery, these impression marks came from the reinforcement mesh, inside the phone back, pressing down on the battery. Actually the new battery has deeper impressions than my original one which has been used for two years, which might imply use in a phone which has had rougher handling than mine. Having said all that, the battery's behaviour is what one would expect of a new battery, so I'm puzzled.

Norton 360 21.0 - 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC) [2014 Edition]
Norton 360 21.0 - 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC) [2014 Edition]
Offered by Perks

4.0 out of 5 stars Better to buy this than auto-renew, 12 Sep 2014
Less than half the cost of auto-renewing my existing Norton 360 subscription. It's a pity that one has to go to a third party supplier such as Amazon in order to get a reasonable deal! The down-side of not auto-renewing is that new license codes need to be entered into the protected computers; with auto-renewal, the protection would have extended automatically. This is a nuisance when the protected computers are portable devices used by others in the family: I had to wait until I had access to the machines to do the update. Installation/renewal/pricing issues aside, I'm reasonably happy with the product. It doesn't cripple the host machine's performance the way that Kaspersky used to before I switched to Norton a few years ago.

Esselte Assorted A4 Report Files (Pack of 25)
Esselte Assorted A4 Report Files (Pack of 25)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 28 Jun 2014
Good price for a good product.

Leather Concertina Card Case (BLACK)
Leather Concertina Card Case (BLACK)
Offered by Supreme Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars Offers good protection, 31 Mar 2014
After years of using free card cases provided by my bank which don't last long, they stopped providing them. This is a much better alternative; I think it's going to last a long time. It's a bit on the thick side, but that is a result of (a) it being designed for a larger number of cards (which suits me) and (b) strong material being used for the concertina part, adding a small gap between each card. In my opinion, the extra thickness is a price worth paying in order to get something reasonably sturdy.

Targus 12.1-inch Laptop Case XS - Black
Targus 12.1-inch Laptop Case XS - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had bought this some years ago!, 21 Mar 2014
This is an excellent case, and my netbook (an Asus Eee PC 1000p) fits snugly *sideways*, leaving plenty of room alongside for other stuff. There's enough room to put an iPad mini on top of this netbook in the main compartment. I bought it because I was going to fly with a budget airline which charges for large cabin bags. This bag comfortably fits within the "small" dimensions specified, yet giving me enough room for everything that I would actually want to take on board. (All the non-valuable stuff goes in the checked luggage.) I used to use a "sleeve", which had a zipped pocket, but it wasn't really suitable for carrying mains adapters, etc. I would judge the protection offered to the contents to be quite good.

So I'm really pleased ... and it's fairly cheap too.

Belkin F5l034EA Laptop and HDTV Cleaning Kit
Belkin F5l034EA Laptop and HDTV Cleaning Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ... need to wash the cloth occasionally, 9 Jan 2014
I've been using this item for quite a few years, and have just bought my third bottle. It works very well on laptops and computer monitors. My own practice is to get dust off the display by wiping gently with the cloth before applying any cleaning solution to remove smudges. One thing I did once find was that the cloth was no longer cleaning effectively, and streaks were being left behind. This problem was resolved by washing the cloth thoroughly, so I assume that deposits from previous use were interfering with the effectiveness of the newly-applied solution. Anyway, I now wash the cloth every now and again, and haven't had any recurrence of the streaking problem.

Primecases® Red Ultra Thin Smart Textured PU Leather Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7 with Screen Protector and Stylus (will only fit Galaxy Tab 3 7" tablet, Auto Wake Sleep Support)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits nicely, 5 Jan 2014
I selected this case for my wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" because I wanted something that had been designed specifically to fit that particular model, rather than a generic tablet case. The tablet fits securely, without access being obstructed to ports, the edges of the screen, etc. It's also easy to remove the tablet from the case again if required. The cover folds back in a similar way to iPad covers, allowing the tablet to be propped up at an angle for convenient use at a desk. The colour suits the red version (which we have) of the Galaxy Tab 3 nicely. One thing that doesn't work is the advertised auto wake/sleep support, but as far as I can tell the Galaxy Tab 3 7" doesn't have that feature anyway. Anyway, my wife is very pleased with the product and I feel I made the right choice here.

Page: 1 | 2