Profile for M Christison > Reviews

Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
by Heather Smith Jones
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 19 Jun 2013
I absolutely love this book!So much so that I feel like writing to tell the author herself!

I was searching for an injection of 'something' to get me going again with watercolours and this! has inspired me to do a little every morning before I leave for work .So I disagree with other reviewers that it's only for beginners.

Although it is very practical book- giving a planned course of work , building in challenge as the projects develop, the author's work is of such a high quality- her use of colour and texture is a joy-that it is a delight just to look at the pictures!

Duck Egg Blue Floral Patchwork Quilt - Double Cotton Bedspread
Duck Egg Blue Floral Patchwork Quilt - Double Cotton Bedspread
Offered by Bedding & Home Company
Price: 110.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly exquisite, 8 Jun 2012
When I received this quilt by post this morning I was delighted to find it is even more beautiful than the picture.Its subtle grey-greeny blues and tawny pinks are from a different era.I could imagine it being sewn by hand from summer dresses handed down and washed till the cottons are soft and pale. I love it.

Learning by Heart: Teachings to Free the Creative Spirit
Learning by Heart: Teachings to Free the Creative Spirit
by Corita Kent

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected gem of a book, 8 Jun 2012
When I received my copy of this book, it looked scruffy and uninviting , but when i began to read ,even the dated photographs couldn't hide the brilliance of the content. It is a book of ideas and so much more! Behind the listing of ways to work creatively with different media , there is evidence of a philosophy of love and hope that colours every offering the book has to give.it is one of the most inspiring art books I have in my already large collection and I refer to it constantly when planning creativity workshops with children and adults. Have fun with it - it is a remarkable book.

Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 2
by Walt Stanchfield
Price: 12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Take care! The 'view inside pages' facility is not for volume 2 , but volume 1, 26 Oct 2011
Walt Stanchfield writes with great humour and insight . His work will be amazingly useful for artists as well as animators or illustrators. I love his suggestion that to draw a figure thinking only of the anatomy - muscles , bones skin- is to draw in nouns. Instead, he urges we draw in verbs- a leg stretches , an arm sags . Even a small shift in looking and thinking like this will make drawings more alive and expressive.

A book for all artists who draw from life.

Drawing Lab for Mixed Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun (Lab (Quarry Books))
by Carla Sonheim
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite book- but give it a go, 4 Aug 2010
I chose this book , because I already had others in the 'LAB'series(Collage Lab and Printing Lab) and found them stimulating, innovative and inspiring. Not so Drawing Lab.My disappointment was that although it describes itself as a book for ' Mixed Media artists'- I see having bought it that it is much more for beginners.
I have to admit that there are interesting parts to 'Drawing Lab ' - especially the ideas from other artists, but overall my opinion is that it is not worth the money.

I wrote the above review several months ago and today I determined to have another look at the book and see if I still felt so strongly. I made myself stay open -minded and I began to see that there are ideas in here that could get people started and just have fun. My passion in life is to help people free their creativity and I now think that this book has a place in doing that. Although there are parts that I still find annoying for myself, I see now that the author's attitude of 'just do it and see' is the very thing that allows people to overcome their creative block.So I have put the stars from 2 to 4 and say that if you are a complete beginner this could be a useful starting point

I still feel if you want to learn drawing or improve your drawing skills or just be totally inspired - then my all time favourite book is Bert Dodson's 'Drawing with Imagination'and I see that Carla Sonheim also recommends this.