Profile for E. Ross > Reviews

Toyrific Click 'n' Jump Game
Toyrific Click 'n' Jump Game
Offered by Surplus Trade Supplies

1.0 out of 5 stars One star is one too many, 9 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Toyrific Click 'n' Jump Game (Toy)
I know this is cheap, and because of that, wasn't expecting a high quality item. As long as it worked and wasn't really rubbish, I would have been happy. Unfortunately, the card at the bottom is really flimsy, but much worse than that, the pegs don't fit into the holes - and if you do manage to squeeze them in, they pop out when you press the dome! Probably the worst item I've ever bought from Amazon, so I sent it back as faulty and got a full refund. Simply terrible.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 29 Jan. 2012
We bought this for our little boy. At the time he was walking but not particularly steady on his feet and he would often just let go of your hand. These come in different animals but we really loved the monkey - and so did he. As a backpack you wouldn't get much in at all, but that wasn't what we bought it for so we didn't mind. Everyone comments on how cute it is, and it's cuddly so if he falls onto his back for some reason, it really helps to break his fall. The stitching is strong and it really is well made. When looking for this we came across many similar ones - while they were cheaper they didn't really look as well made - this did not disappoint and was well worth the extra couple of quid.

Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secrets (Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secre)
by Steven M. Barrett

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for kids AND adults!, 29 Jan. 2012
Finding hidden mickeys has become a sport in our house - and with kids it's even better. It's a great way to keep them occupied in queues (lines!) or on days when you want a more relaxed activity - walking around the parks and resorts just taking things in.

Walt Disney World Trivia Book
Walt Disney World Trivia Book
by Louis A. Mongello

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift, 29 Jan. 2012
I'm really into Disney trivia, behind the scenes stuff and general Disney history. This book was great fun to read - really enjoyed finding out little titbits of information. Bought it for my nieces as well when they went to WDW - great for occupying them on the plane!

So I Married An Axe Murderer [DVD] [1993]
So I Married An Axe Murderer [DVD] [1993]
Dvd ~ Mike Myers
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 29 Jan. 2012
This film is a firm favourite in our house. Of course we're Scottish so perhaps that's why we find it so funny, but it never fails to crack us up. The story is about a man who struggles to commit - always finding excuses to dump his latest girlfriend "she smelled like soup", "she's a klepto". He meets a woman and falls in love with her, but does she have a sinister past? His best friend is in the police with a boss who wants to be like the police captains in 1970s cop shows but is really just too nice; and his (Scottish) family are certfiably crazy, particularly his father (also played by Myers), and his brother "heid! move! now!" - a brilliant film, and a great cast. Thoroughly enjoyed.

BT 150 Digital Baby Monitor
BT 150 Digital Baby Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor with lots of useful features, 4 April 2010
We bought this to replace a tixylix monitor which gave up the ghost after just a few months. This monitor is excellent - the sound is incredibly clear (if our son is facing the monitor we can actually hear him breathing!), and the batteries last for ages (rechargeable so just pop it down on the cradle and it charges up again quickly). It has a talk feature so that you can talk to your baby and reassure him/her without going into the room and disturbing them. The MP3 input is so useful, if your baby has a favourite song, you can play it over the monitor to them. You can also operate some functions of the baby unit remotely using the parent unit - e.g. you can turn the nightlight on and off, and the music too. There is a temperature indicator too. All in all a brilliant buy and well worth it's Best Buy status from Which?.

Gro Anywhere Blackout Blind (2012 version)
Gro Anywhere Blackout Blind (2012 version)
Offered by Baby C

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 23 Mar. 2010
This blind arrived this morning and as my son was napping I could barely get up the stairs fast enough to put the blind up! The sun streams in his bedroom window from dawn till dark, even with vertical blinds and lined curtains. This has the result that when he wakes up half way through a nap - instead of going back to sleep - he wakes up properly and spends a lot of the day tired or having short catnaps. Not great.

Putting the blind up took about 5 minutes. I have a 3 part window and it fits perfectly well. It may not be the most beautiful thing you've ever seen (adjusting the height/width leaves it looking a little untidy) but it is very effective at blocking out light. The room wasn't pitch black but it was *very* dark - a huge contrast to the broad daylight that is usually coming through.

I also like the idea that I can take it down and pop it into it's bag if we travel. A great invention!

The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009]
The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Helena Bonham Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars True to the book, 23 Mar. 2010
This review is from: The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Having read The Gruffalo to my son most days (it is a firm favourite of his), I was so excited to see this on BBC over Christmas. It didn't disappoint. True to the book, with some gorgeous animation and well-selected celebrity voices, it really is a joy. I was really pleased to see that it was coming on DVD (which arrived this morning) because it is lovely to watch, not just for children, but adults too.

The story revolves around a clever - but appetising - little mouse. Off in search of a tasty nut, he goes for a stroll through a deep, dark wood, meeting several characters who want to eat him. He tells them of a Gruffalo - a terrifying creature, who will eat them all ... little do they know that this creature exists only in the imagination of the little mouse. Or does he?

So much fun, the book and the DVD are fantastic. At a nice length of 30 minutes, it's not of a length that would cause young children to lose interest, and is so beautifully done that it will hold the attention of even the most cynical adults.

Well worth it's 5 stars!

The Eczema Solution
The Eczema Solution
by Sue Armstrong-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd found it years ago!, 21 Mar. 2010
This review is from: The Eczema Solution (Paperback)
I purchased this book in desperation as my eczema had become unmanageable. After having it for 20 years+, it had become infected, which required cream with antibiotics, the skin was always bleeding and weeping and the itching was just intolerable. I looked into herbal creams and other solutions but with no solution (if you'll pardon the pun) I decided to buy this book and hope that it offered something that the other remedies did not.

I read it, and began following the recommendations. Within days my skin was calmer and I was not being driven up the wall by uncontrollable itching. The book not only offered advice but also went into how the skin works, and allows you to fully understand the condition. Yes steroid creams are involved ... but she explains how to use them for best effect without unnecessary overuse, and it works. Simple as that. And of course once your skin is healed ... you don't need them any more.

After following the plan, my skin was clear. Yes, clear. It looked - and felt - like normal skin, didn't itch, was unbroken. Finally I could go out in bare feet and not feel self conscious. After a recent pregnancy, the skin on one foot has broken out again (although it had been clear since mid 2008) so I'm getting the book out again to refresh my memory and will tackle it before it becomes a problem.

I can't recommend this highly enough - just wish I'd found it a long time ago.

The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk: Foreword by Martha Sears, RN
by Diana West

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and comprehensive, 21 Mar. 2010
This book is excellent for anyone who is concerned about their supply. It covers a multitude of reasons for low supply - and methods of increasing it.

The book begins by explaining how milk is produced - but is not as technical as to put off a non-medical person. It is important to understand what the body does, as it can help you identify the problem (if there is one) and how to approach it. It goes on to examine ways to determine if there actually is a supply problem or if it's something that either you or the baby is doing; what's normal and what's not; and has a comprehensive guide to galactogogues, which I found very useful - you will often hear about fenugreek but there are many others. The book gives help for you going back to work, a section on special circumstances such as preemies, multiples, induced lactation, relactation and much more.

It is a comprehensive guide which I found not only educational, informative and useful but reassuring. Definitely worth buying.

Page: 1 | 2