Profile for mungflesh > Reviews

Content by mungflesh

mungflesh "mungflesh" (Surrey, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Darth Bane - Path of Destruction - A Novel of the Old Republic (Star Wars)
Darth Bane - Path of Destruction - A Novel of the Old Republic (Star Wars)
by Drew Karpyshyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Best trilogy of the Star Wars franchise, 23 Dec. 2015
First in a great trilogy.

I've read around these books, some post Episode IV, some before. These are set a thousand years or more before.

The stories of the Sith are far more entertaining than the narrow minded, dogmatic descriptions of the Jedi and their merry jaunts.

If you don't like the Bane trilogy, it's unlikely you'd like any of the others in the SW universe. This is essential SW reading.

Death By Television
Death By Television
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars This was recommended to me as "one of the best albums I've ..., 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Death By Television (Audio CD)
This was recommended to me as "one of the best albums I've heard in a while."
I listened to a couple of tracks, liked them, bought the album and now I'm saying the same thing, except that I'd say this is one of the best albums I have ever heard.

It has the simplicity of the Ramones, except with good production and much better consistency. The vocal hooks and the guitar production are what really drive this recording though. It's all ridiculously catchy.

It's no-nonsense punk-pop with amusing sci-fi inspired lyrics. If you like any of Green Day, Ramones, Gob or Blink 182, chances are you'll really like this album.

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned
Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned
Offered by Bee-Entertained

4.0 out of 5 stars A grower and a keeper, 5 April 2013
On first hearing of the single 'Girls' from this album, I felt disappointed.

Around the time of its release, the media had been saying that AONO was to be more of a solo-project by Liam and the rest of the Prodigy were on a break or something. This, I must confess, put my guard up and I didn't really give this album a chance.

Some years later, I was playing Chess with my son and put this on in the background - and I was surprised.

Going in cold, without any predjudice, I heard this album with fresh ears and began to enjoy it. After a few listens, the tracks 'Girls' and 'Memphis Belle' felt like absolute classics.

Overall, this album does run a bit hot and cold. The Nirvana cover (Phoenix) is tad dull (I never liked the original either) and some tracks are not too inventive like 'The way it is' but I'd sooner keep this album in my collection than Jilted Gen.

Arguably better than Fat of the Land, and containing some stunning tunes but this will never be hailed as their best album.

Propeller
Propeller
Offered by Hausmusik

5.0 out of 5 stars Best band from Wales EVER, 9 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Propeller (Audio CD)
It's such a shame these guys didn't get major label interest - they had the talent.

This album is arguably of the same quality as Nirvana's "Nevermind", ie. very consistent throughout. My favourite track on the album is "New Driver", which was very impressive live and never gets old.

If you can find it, get hold of a copy of their BBC session recording of "Ecks" which is superb and also the b side on the Gene Pool CD "Voodoo Doll".

These guys rock. I freakin love them.

Gutter Phenomenon
Gutter Phenomenon
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Their finest work, 12 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Gutter Phenomenon (Audio CD)
After the success of Hot Damn! ETID could have produced another album of the same vibe but instead went for a more mainstream production on top of slightly more 'traditionally' structured songs.

The positives that came out of this are many, whereas the negatives are few.

This album is a turning point, which captures some of the raw traits of the earlier 2 albums but (as history shows) is the beginning of an arguably more intelligent style of songwriting. I felt that LNIT is generally too chaotic for its own good, with the exception of a couple of tracks; Hot Damn refined this hugely but is still lacking somewhere.

Enter Gutter. The opening song is one of their very best and the album doesn't dip much in quality right through to the superb end track. There are not many albums I own that require no skipping of tracks; this is one of them.

The only negative is the production. Whilst better produced than Hot Damn, it's not entirely right for ETID. For other bands, perhaps, but ETID themselves clearly think this too, as no other album of theirs is produced in a similar manner. The vox are choked and the bottom end is too heavily compressed, resulting in a thinner overall sound. When you compare Gutter production next to any of their other albums, it's hard to prefer it, but in isolation, it's arguably a great sound.

If you're new to ETID and pondering on which album to start with, this is a safe choice. This band doesn't really make 'bad' albums but of the set, this has the fewest flaws in my opinion.

How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess)
How to Beat Your Dad at Chess (Gambit chess)
by Murray Chandler

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for intermediate or advanced kids - not beginners, 17 Nov. 2012
My son, who was 6 when I bought this book, loved it.

It is divided into nice digestible chunks, so the book can easily be dipped in and out of; each chunk can be read in 15 mins or so.

Its primary function is teaching pattern recognition and assumes the reader has a solid knowledge of the rules and understands board notation.

A nice book, which dads are likely to learn from at the same time!

Ex Lives (Limited Deluxe Edition)
Ex Lives (Limited Deluxe Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great start and finish but a few duds in the middle, 5 Sept. 2012
I might need to listen to it more but as it stands I'm having trouble finding this album's identity.

My main 2 concerns are: (1) don't like drummer replacing Mike Novak and (2) too many riffs are more generic and follow standard rock rules rather than being classic ETID-style innovation.

It might be because I'm a drummer and that's the main thing I focus on when listening to music; I find Ryan Leger to be too one-dimensional, if compared with Novak.

I expect that as time passes I'll become more accepting of the album's vibes but I'm never going to prefer Leger's drumming.

Saw them live since writing this and some of these album tracks were superb. What a great band.

C# in Depth: What you need to master C# 2 and 3
C# in Depth: What you need to master C# 2 and 3
by Jon Skeet

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a one-coat gloss, not a primer, 21 Aug. 2009
The cover sucks; I wouldn't have bought this book if it hadn't been given away.

However, if you're familiar with C# 2.0 already and need to get up to speed with the new features, this book rocks. All killer - no filler. This book is very easy to flick through and pick up the new concepts quickly, or just jump into as a reference.

Not for beginners, but that's not to say it isn't easy to follow - which it is.

Invaders Must Die
Invaders Must Die
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars An oldskool remaster, 23 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Invaders Must Die (Audio CD)
I'm a huge fan of "Experience", which I *thought* was their best ever. Over time I have come to think this album might have beaten it.

IMD feels leaner and more ballsy than Fat of the Land, which I think suffered from experimental tampering. I'm not into Liam's tendency to jam in distorted guitar riffs or actual vocals, rather than samples. It's not because I don't like punk rock (I love it), it's that I don't like rock fused with rave. IMD sounds like the album that "Always Outnumbered ..." should have been. It's more killer than filler but it does have 1 or 2 duff tracks.

Dave Grohl? You are a genius but go away. I love the Foos. I love Nirvana. The worst track on the album is probably Dave's guest star appearance.

Stand-out tracks? Well, the first six are all pretty solid but "Warrior's Dance" is head and shoulders above the rest on first listen. Oldskool rave with current Prodigy feel. As time passes, and with subsequent listens, Thunder and Colours are the two tracks that really shine. The remaining tracks are a bit more diluted as far as quality goes.

This is an impressive album. Few bands are able to create material of this quality so far into a lengthy career. Well done Prodigy.

Thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow
Thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Why does this sell for £100+ ?, 8 Sept. 2008
If you're tempted to buy this for the sake of a collector's item, then sure it's worth £100+; there're not many of them around.

If it's to hear the music, I'd suggest you buy the album "Blackened Sky", which has "57" and "JustBoy" on it and buy the single "57", which has a better version of "Hope for an Angel" on it (it sounds more like it did at the early gigs).

"Less The Product" is a good track but not worth the extra cash you'd have to fork out to get this.

Page: 1 | 2