Profile for A. Foss > Reviews

Content by A. Foss

A. Foss "Andy 'Mod'Pie' Foss" (Nottingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Setting Sons
Setting Sons

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - Very Nearly Bought This - Phew! However, I'll Never Downmark It. R.I.P. John Weller!, 1 Dec 2014
This review is from: Setting Sons (Audio CD)
Very close to buying it without looking at Disc 2, which I play several times a week when I have a strip-wash as it's one of my all-time fav Jam gigs & it sets me up for the day ahead. Brilliant from Big John's introduction [wonder if PW would be standing so far on Tory ground if he were still here now eh?....possibly? - but still miss him!] right to the end of David Watts.
If you HAVEN'T got it - you MUST get it as BOTH discs are excellent. If your a fanatical Jam fan that may already have both albums more than once, it's really not worth it, just more money to send Weller's' [as the geezer in TSC video goes 'still love you, still love you'...tho' that's aimed at Whitey? I'm aiming it at PW!] kids to private school & whatever else Mrs W desires..

This Is Ska
This Is Ska
Offered by Media Vortex

1.0 out of 5 stars LIP UP ALL OF YA - WHAT A LOAD OF OLD RUBBISH! "BE WARNED!!!!!", 30 Sep 2014
This review is from: This Is Ska (Audio CD)
Well, to be fair, it doesn't actually say who the artist's are on the inserts that I can see? However, that's the only bonus in this review &, all I can say to anyone reading the 5-star reviews left on here regarding this item is - they CAN'T have known/know the "originals".....it really is that simple!!!

Look it's cheapo, rubbish label K-Tel for a start &, like similar label Hallmark [who do 'originals' for solo singers on comps - SOMETIMES!] you want to run for the hills when you see these labels guys!

Others to avoid like a rocker on a hot summers day are PRISM & PINNACLE - all rubbish & they don't tell you they're re-recorded rubbish neither. All Northern Soul fans should already know that ANYTHING produced by IAN LEVINE is to be avoided too. This excuse for a producer literally exhumes bodies from over the pond to re-record some originally superb tunes......& then runs away from the US leaving the walking dead unpaid. Horrible man, horrible tunes...as with "This Is[n't] Ska"!!! BE WARNED Y'ALL!!!

Sensational 70's
Sensational 70's

1.0 out of 5 stars I Really Should Have Known Better - MUSIC LOVERS, AVOID THIS ITEM!!!, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: Sensational 70's (Audio CD)
I should have known better with reviews such as 'it's very nice' or something like that, however here's a review FOR MUSIC LOVERS & not for people who'd listen to any old rubbish like the first 6 reviewers of this utter "garbage!".
Being on the 'Pegasus' label would have normally been enough to ring the alarm bells in my head, however I saw 6 reviews ALL telling me how good this item is - WHAT???
Listen people - IT'S A DOUBLE-ALBUM FULL OF RE-RECORDED RUBBISH plain & simple!!! I can only assume the other reviewers weren't around to hear the originals?
If you like the songs on here then - DON'T BUY THIS!!! It'll spoil your memories of some cracking tunes. Furthermore - beware of the PEGASUS & PRISM labels...tho' I must say on this item it does state about tracks being "re-recorded" for a change. Pity some other reviewers couldn't have pointed this out???

A Touch of Northern Soul
A Touch of Northern Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT The Tracklisting In E'Bay's 2nd Picture Guys!, 23 Jun 2014
I'll take this off once the pic is removed but I believe there 'may' be some buyers that only look at the tracklisting on E'Bay's picture - which is NOT the item here but another excellent Soul outing called 'A Little Taste Of Soul'.

Fortunately the correct tracklisting IS available by just scrolling further down y'all!

KTF - Andy

The Ultimate Collection
The Ultimate Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Re: Incorrect Tracklisting On Disc 2, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
A couple of previous reviewers have mentioned e'bay's 'incorrect tracklisting' but done nothing to alter it? Disc 1 is correct, it's just Disc 2 which I've entered below for anyone wanting to know the 'correct' tracks.

1. Memories Of Love
2. La Vie En Rose
3. I Don't Know How To Love Him
4. Look To The Rainbow
5. London Is London
6. On The Path Of Glory (Petula Clark & Harry Belafonte)
7. Wedding Song (There Is Love)
8. Never Been A Horse That Couldn't Be Rode
9. Twelfth Of Never
10. How Good It Is To Know You
11. Don't Cry For Me Argentina
12. I Could Have Given You More
13. Sound Of Music
14. All Through The Years
15. Oxygen (new mix)
16. When You Get Right Down To It (Petula Clark & Michael McDonald--previously unissued)
17. Tell Me It's Not True (solo version)
18. Perfect Year
19. Here For You
20. All Those Years Ago [new recording with Richard Carpenter]

I've only nipped in to help with the tracklisting & not to do a complete review guys. However, for what it's worth, personally I can't get on so much with Disc 2's duets & new recordings but love Disc 1's original hits. I'm not a massive fan though [just a fan of 60's music] but I'm sure for big fans of 'Pet' Disc 2 will be perfectly alright for you.
Cheers.

Northern Soul - The Collection
Northern Soul - The Collection

3.0 out of 5 stars At Lest SOME Of The CORRECT Tracklisting Would've Been Nice...Not Much To Ask For Is It Amazon???, 9 Oct 2013
First of all if this was being marked on the music alone - it would be getting a decent 4.5/5 out of 5! I think we all know - & love - this superb music that, looking thru the tracklisting, yes we've probably come across before am I right?
That's just it - am I right though? 'Cos the tracklisting above & on other buying sites is completely at odds with what you get on the item itself!!!

I'll waste no more of your precious time, the music is superb & the majority looking here will be familiar with it so, I'll complete what should have been done by messrs Amazon, ebay [who are useless compilers of tracklistings anyway!] etc....

Disc: 1

Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2014 2:38 PM GMT

Best of the Equals
Best of the Equals

1.0 out of 5 stars It's That DISGRACEFUL 'PEGASUS' Label Folks!!!, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Best of the Equals (Audio CD)
The worst thing about this label - & 'PRISM' - is that they don't tell you that the songs are the dreaded "re-recordings"!
Other awful labels like Hallmark [for groups rather than solo artists in the main] & just about any Soul label where Ian Levine is the producer at least state something like 'Contains re-recordings by 1 or more of the original artists' [BEWARE - THIS COULD LITERALLY MEAN SOMEONE WHO PLAYED A TAMBOURINE AT A SESSION FOLKS!!!] that, at least, gives you the choice of whether to purchase the rubbish or not.
PEGASUS/PRISM "DO NOT" give you that choice - DON'T BUY!!!

Ultimate Love Songs 12 CD Box Set
Ultimate Love Songs 12 CD Box Set

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks Great Doesn't It?......BUT BEWARE!!!, 11 Aug 2013
Wow - sure looks great..so I bought it at a knock-down price.
Was it worth it for all those lovely tracks? Well NO 'cos I'm not a fan of the dreaded "re-recordings" or, on the whole "live tracks" on these kinda compilations - & that's what you get here!

RE-RECORDINGS &/OR LIVE TRACKS ONE & ALL!!!

Now taking the first, 're-recordings' & this woulda been a 1-star review - I hate, loathe & detest 'em! They shouldn't be allowed to happen. They distort &, in some cases, erase what used to be superb songs. I'll waste no more time on them.

I'm not a fan of 'live' tracks on compilations either however I quite enjoyed T'Pau plus Frank Sinatra's always ok for a live song. Other individual tracks amongst the live section are okayish but on the whole it's not for me & I know many people feel the same.

So the choice for any potential buyers is quite clear, if you dont mind a very large collection of re-recordings & live well-known love songs then this is for you.
If not, like me - run a mile!!!

Beat Boom Classics
Beat Boom Classics
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars BE AWARE - BE VERY AWARE!!!, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Beat Boom Classics (Audio CD)
This is the 'Hallmark' label & it involves groups. So be very wary. At time of writing this item was going for £17+ on Amazon - it WILL involve the dreaded re-recordings without a shadow of a doubt my friends!!!
Not only is this label notorious for it with groups but 'Mike Pender's Searchers' already tells me that it's a definite re-recording for, at least those tracks, but I'm 99.9 % sure it will be the others as well!
Don't say you weren't warned music lovers!!!

The Best Of
The Best Of

1.0 out of 5 stars "PEGASUS" Strikes Again!!!, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
I can only assume that the 'reviewers' that have given this more than 1-Star haven't heard the luscious vocals of Ms. Candi Staton before???
Personally, I wouldn't have thought that Candi would've needed the money to go to this awful, awful label to re-record her once-fantastic hits?

For anyone that doesn't know by now - AVOID THIS LABEL [ALONG WITH 'PRISM' or 'BESTWAY' - the latter mainly Northern 're-records' Soul - labels!!!] LIKE THE PLAGUE as you'll feel like tearing your hair out when you hear the sound, noise, racket contained within!
What you WILL NOT hear is what you thought to be the "ORIGINAL RECORDINGS"...& the worst thing???...they dont even have the decency to let you know the tracks are "re-records"!!!
All of the songs on this CD-album are, originally anyway, excellent songs & really DO NOT deserve the horrible, nasty "re-recording" experience.
DON'T BUY: 'PEGASUS', 'PRISM' Or 'BESTWAY' you WILL be disappointed folks!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4