Profile for A. Foss > Reviews

Content by A. Foss

A. Foss "Andy 'Mod'Pie' Foss" (Nottingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Ian Levine's Solid Stax Sensations
Ian Levine's Solid Stax Sensations

1.0 out of 5 stars And it's 'that' easy is it? Then I'm happy to be a "halfwit!" but at least a "Soulie" halfwit!!!, 12 Jan. 2016
"I don't make a habit of sending in reviews but feel the halfwits who have given this excellent compilation one star reviews need taking to task. I can only assume these people must either have a personal dislike of Mr Levine, or else they simply have zero knowledge of soul music." ???

And It's that easy is it?...well according to one excitable hmnn, 'reviewer' yes it is! [I don't feel I've been took to "task" btw, sorry!].
OK the album, Levine has done nothing here that hasn't been done before - any of us could do it unless..............
....one has a "zero knowledge of soul music!" 'cos, let's face it, if you don't know why Levine is hated in many, many Soul circles - then you shouldn't be attacking [well - excitedly spouting nonsense anyway...!] others, should you?
Levine is a ruiner of decent Soul on the whole, exhumes past 'stars' to re-record their rarities or hits - badly I add! What's more, I have it on very, very good authority from the US guy who supplied most artist's for IL's absolutely awful 'Northern Soul' DVD - & leaving them unpaid in his pathetic wake!
So maybe keeping your trap shut unless you know what your on about may just be in order here JM eh? The only "halfwits" are the ones who keep someone like this in the 'biz' so to speak by buying his rubbish! [I'm sorry on this one to the normally superb Mark Barry...IL does have his fans I suppose?] However this is just a re-hash of previously available material lazily put together.

An Everlasting Soul - The Anthology
An Everlasting Soul - The Anthology
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Do We Love You.....? INDEED WE DO STEVIE!, 27 Nov. 2015
Such a short, short review from Ms Mercedes Murphy that, unbelievably, DOES say it ALL! Anyone buying this - or anything else by Steve/Love Affair WILL become addicted too..I've no doubt.

Anyone into the Small Faces? Get the Steve Marriott Memorial Concert from 2001 [on DVD is best - but there's excellent CD's too..] this is where I became fixated with Steve "Mr. White Soul" Ellis again. My kids say I have a "man crush" on Paul Weller who also played on the night. However, for me - Ellis stole the show!
It was after that [superb] concert that I had to get the whole back catalogue & the man just doesn't disappoint on anything!
This is probably the best if you're just going to get one item [tho' there is a 3CDer made in 2015 that includes another vocalist for LA after Steve had left!] & includes 2 songs from the night - backed by very popular band 'The Mods', they are 'Song of a Baker' & 'Afterglow' - the latter Steve also sang at Ronnie Lane's Memorial Concert where he was criminally limited to just the 1 song!
This also includes all the best songs of 'The Love Affair' & my own personal Ellis favourite, the "classic" 'El Doomo'.

My wife & I saw him on the Solid 60's Tour on the Nottingham leg last week - &, again, he stole the show [Nottingham Post]...as reviews from other shows had also said. [If your wondering about the review title - he did a oh-so-beautiful & oh-so-powerful rendition of Frank Wilson's Northern Soul classic!]. The big shame is he came on 2nd & left at the interval so we didn't get any pics took, sob! He coulda/shoulda come on last as he did at least get the crowd moving - & that takes some of us some time to do nowadays haha!!! Not a break in his voice nor a note missed. He's still making incredible albums & I'd ask each & every one to also seek them out too.

If your new to him start here, though it's getting rarer & more costly to be fair - but buy SOMETHING of his 'cos, believe me, when you do - that WILL be the start of your LOVE AFFAIR!!!

In the Crowd/Live in Japan [DVD] [2014]
In the Crowd/Live in Japan [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Paul Weller

5.0 out of 5 stars Damon Lewis & Seamus Crofts - with Paul, Cradock & Whitey.....??? Be Warned..., 4 Nov. 2015
The best thing about this is the sound - & Weller's singing...if only he still sang like this eh?
Keeping it short & sweet I don't know the people who produced this, however I'm not sure if it's actually a approved release?

The band is Weller's old band - & there's nowt wrong with that. The producers have only got Stevie's White & Cradock correct on the cover & again at the end of the concert on screen. Andy Lewis seems to have grown a kinda Damon Minchella haircut...& poor old Andy Crofts has lost all his hair - & I mean ALL of it a la Seamus Beagen style HaHa!

I can't knock a star off here - even with the massive mistake only because overall, it's a decent tracklisting & Paul's performance is impeccable!!!

Before & After the Who
Before & After the Who
Offered by skyvo-direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Know What You're Buying - IT'S A INTERVIEW CD!!!, 2 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Before & After the Who (Audio CD)
Quite simply folks - THIS IS A INTERVIEW!!! [Interview is in tiny writing underneath the "h" in Townshend on the CD pic.

The Very Best Of
The Very Best Of
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars PRISM, PEGASUS - ALL RE-RECORDED RUBBISH! STEER WELL CLEAR!!!, 2 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
It's simple folks. If you like these songs, the hits & your looking around for a decent deal - STEER WELL CLEAR OF PRISM & PEGASUS labels! In most cases they don't even tell you they are "re-recordings" - but that's what they are! Vastly inferior offerings of the original recordings.

Broken Hearted: a Collection of the World's Best Heartbreakers
Broken Hearted: a Collection of the World's Best Heartbreakers
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars RE-RECORDED RUBBISH - RUN A MILE FROM THIS GARBAGE!!!, 15 Jun. 2015
Look it's K-Tel so you should know now why it's so cheap - 'cos it's just rubbish! Same with the awful Pegasus, Prism, Bestway [& ANY Ian Levine produced 'Northern Soul' stuff...but he don't actually care 1/ What's said about him & 2/ The fact there's a lot of aging soul stars in the USA still waiting on some/any payment from him for a 5th rate DVD he once made!] & many more labels.
Thing is some of 'em don't even let you know [like the 2 P labels above] that they're re-recordings - so it's up to everyone else to let people decide AFTER they have the full facts of the items"

KTF Folks!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2015 3:13 AM BST

New Ladies Flat Low Heel Stylish Loafers Moccasin Slip On Shoes - UK 4
New Ladies Flat Low Heel Stylish Loafers Moccasin Slip On Shoes - UK 4
Offered by footloose.shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars Wife just needed to put a little paper in to ..., 9 Jun. 2015
Wife just needed to put a little paper in to widen them for a few days. Obviously doesn't think it's that much of a problem as it's the 2nd lot of these she's asked me to get for her!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Jun. 2015
A fantastic shirt that fits perfect - even after a couple of washes!!!

CRYSTAL JEWEL CASES PK10
CRYSTAL JEWEL CASES PK10
Offered by Vision Media Store

5.0 out of 5 stars All Clean, Fully Intact Cases - Very Nice - I'll Be Back For Sure!!!, 21 Jan. 2015
Exactly what I needed with all jewel-cases intact meaning no 'chipping' nor cases 'falling apart' which, as I'm sure other purchasers of CD cases will know, is not always the case. Honest, friendly service too, thanks - top marks!

Setting Sons
Setting Sons

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - Very Nearly Bought This - Phew! However, I'll Never Downmark It. R.I.P. John Weller!, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Setting Sons (Audio CD)
Very close to buying it without looking at Disc 2, which I play several times a week when I have a strip-wash as it's one of my all-time fav Jam gigs & it sets me up for the day ahead. Brilliant from Big John's introduction [wonder if PW would be standing so far on Tory ground if he were still here now eh?....possibly? - but still miss him!] right to the end of David Watts.
If you HAVEN'T got it - you MUST get it as BOTH discs are excellent. If your a fanatical Jam fan that may already have both albums more than once, it's really not worth it, just more money to send Weller's' [as the geezer in TSC video goes 'still love you, still love you'...tho' that's aimed at Whitey? I'm aiming it at PW!] kids to private school & whatever else Mrs W desires..

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5