Profile for JimboC > Reviews

Content by JimboC

JimboC

Jessica Ennis Signed PP Poster Photo Olympic Hero Gold Medal Winner Great Britain London Olympics 12x8" Perfect Gift
Offered by 5 Star Prints
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The reward for a lifetime best, 30 Jun 2013
Having achieved her lifelong goal of standing on the top of the podium, Jessica receives her gold medal presented to her by Sebastian Coe. She achieved her greatest moment at the perfect time. It was her first Olympics. Since it was a home games it meant even more to achieve victory here especially after her tragic injury before the 2008 Beijing games that meant she couldn’t compete.

As mentioned in my other reviews, this photo and Jessica show that great things can be achieved when we are willing to try. Even though Jessica couldn’t compete in the 2008 games she was even more determined to win in 2012 and did not let that failure stop her from giving 100%. She believed in herself and that can make a huge difference, not just for her but for all of us.

By believing in ourselves, we too can achieve our very best.

Jessica Ennis Glossy Celeb Photo 179
Jessica Ennis Glossy Celeb Photo 179
Offered by Red Carpet Celeb Shop
Price: 2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of an historic victory, 30 Jun 2013
This poster is very good value, is professionally printed and is delivered in a cardboard backed envelope marked as “do not bend.”
For me, this photo symbolises that we should all step up to the plate, give life a 100% every day and never give up.

This photo shows the beginning of Jessica’s 2 days of competition on the 3rd and 4th of August 2012 with the 100m hurdles. She set a British record of 12.54 seconds and was the fastest that anyone had ever done in a heptathlon in her favourite event.

By displaying this on your wall you can show that by giving something everything you have magnificent things can be achieved.

Offered by 5 Star Prints
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for any Jessica Ennis-Hill Fan, 30 Jun 2013
While this poster is a little expensive, in my opinion it's well worth it. It's professionally printed, sealed in protective plastic (until you are ready to frame it) and is delivered in a cardboard backed envelope marked as "do not bend." Having Jessica's autograph on it (albeit a printed not hand signed version), makes it even more special.

Out of all of the recent poster photos of Jessica Ennis-Hill that I have bought recently, this one is the most meaningful. It shows the exact moment Jessica won the Olympic Heptathlon Gold medal on Super Saturday, 4th August 2012. She fulfilled a childhood dream of standing on the top of the podium on the biggest stage of all. You can even see the look of relief on her face having fulfilled her goal under the most difficult circumstances with all of the expectation surrounding the games and with 80,000 home fans watching in the Olympic Stadium.

Jessica is my hero. She is a symbol that persistence, hard work, courage and determination pays off and that dreams can come true. When we are determined enough we can achieve extraordinary things. I have found that with sheer determination and a "can do" attitude can benefit us all in everyday life too.

This poster symbolises all of the above and having it on your wall for all to see is a perfect way to change people's attitudes for the better and convey Jessica's message (mentioned above) to an even wider audience.

And Run (Album Version)
And Run (Album Version)
Price: 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivational music and now a favorite of mine, 19 May 2013
I first heard this song last week and its now one of my favorites. It has a good rhythm even though the background beat/music is subtle (this song is all about the vocals/lyrics).

I like this song not only for its memorable lyrics but for the encouragement/motivation you can get from them. For me, this is definitely an inspirational song (I seem to be saying "inspirational" a lot lately, especially if you have read my other recent review).

At first I thought this song was a little strange and hard to like but the more I listened to it, the more I liked it. My advice is, give this song a chance, I think you will be glad you did.

Unbelievable: From My Childhood Dreams To Winning Olympic Gold
Unbelievable: From My Childhood Dreams To Winning Olympic Gold
by Jessica Ennis
Price: 15.33

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible story told from Jessica's perspective that provides true inspiration/motivation to all, 26 April 2013
I watched Jessica Ennis achieve Olympic Gold on that special Super Saturday, 4th August 2012. I was extremely happy to see her win because she had become the face of the games and had so much pressure laid upon her to perform at her best. She surpassed everyone's expectations. When I learned that she had written this book "Unbelievable" detailing how she had risen from (as the books intro describes it) "the girl next door" to Olympic champion in such a short time I was very keen to read the story behind the achievement.

I became aware of this book through Jessica's website where a video was posted of her describing the book and what she hopes the book will allow those who read it to achieve.

The phrase "never judge a book by its cover" holds very true for this book. At first glance it might appear to be all about athletics and the challenges an athlete faces. This book is about Jessica's story and how she overcame every obstacle in her way, time and time again to achieve her dreams.

The main objective of this book is for Jessica to show us how she achieved the amazing results she has, to show that not everything initially works out how you expect and that you should not let this stop you from trying again.

Her story is told by her in her own words and its refreshingly informal and honest, at times you could be forgiven for thinking that she is there in front of you telling you her story. Her account is written so well that I thought this several times.

I found that every time I picked up this book I could easily read 2 - 3 chapters. Her writing style draws you in and you feel so involved/absorbed in what she is describing. You want to see what happens next and for her to achieve her goals.

The style of writing is in the classic narrative and is very easy to follow. This is my favourite style of writing which is why I enjoyed her story so much.

When she describes how she became injured in 2008 I genuinely felt a lot of sympathy for her since you have been following her story from the very beginning and the reader knows how hard she tries. She is so honest and her description of how she felt at the time I found particularly moving.

Another aspect of the book that stands out for me is Jessica's resilience. You can sense the pressure she was under to deliver and it is remarkable how well she handles it. She even says that she "thrives on pressure", from reading her story, this is certainly very true. Her determination throughout the book is infectious. She lets nothing stand in her way of achieving her dreams and this is the most important lesson to us all.

I really respect Jessica's achievements and it is fantastic that she has been recognised and honoured for what she has done, not just for herself but for the countless others she has inspired with her story (me definitely included in that!). E.g. receiving the freedom of Sheffield, the recent Laureus Sportswoman of the Year award and her CBE and MBE from the Queen of England.

For me the reasons for my positive review are more than what I have mentioned. This book is an outstanding story of achieving your dreams against all of the odds. However this book has helped me to change aspects of my life in order to bring me significantly closer to achieving my dreams. This may sound ridiculous, especially if you have read the well-known classical novel from John Steinbeck, "Of Mice and Men" (with its main theme of trying to achieve your dreams) but Jessica's book has a message in it that can benefit us all.

This book has given me that extra determination, motivation and courage to strive to be better and work every day towards achieving my dreams of a better career. While I am very happy with where I work now, it is not where my true talent lies. I know this since I previously worked in a specific area of the IT industry that closely matched my talents and I loved every minute of it. Due to circumstances outside of my control I needed to choose a different career path for the time being. I have always wanted to return to where my talent and interests lie. Having tried and failed to do so over the last number of years I feel particularly connected to Jessica's story of always trying to achieve what you want and not always getting there.

She mentions that her biggest competitor is herself. I was surprised to read that since this is also what drives me. I have always strived to improve what I do and I how I do it. It is always me who to wants to do better and learn more than I already know. My achievements in life are due to my effort, hard work and forward planning. However with the poor economic times and austerity very much a part of daily life where I live sometimes even someone as motivated as me can feel a little disheartened.

Reading this book changed that and it has supercharged my motivation and I am already seeing the benefits of it. My attitude has changed so much that I can no longer be disheartened. My already strong motivation has now been permanently strengthened and will never weaken again.

In Jessica's words (in an interview), "You have to be totally up for it" and motivated or else you just won't win. I believe there is a lot of truth in those words. Giving 100% (or more) effort towards something you want to achieve is not only satisfying but can be very rewarding for others and for you.

This book has made me now realize that dreams can come true you just need to think about how you can move closer to achieving them. Don't let anyone stand in your way and no matter how many times you fail, learn from your failures and use that experience to make your next attempt better. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need and if you can ask for advice from people you know of or know personally who have achieved what you want, ask them for advice. Above all else, never, ever give up.

My advice would be to buy this book not just for the incredible story that Jessica tells but also for the message she is trying to convey to all of us (mentioned above) and the many positive changes that we can make in our lives if we too are just willing to try.

I am only a recent fan of hers since her success in the Olympics but I have already changed aspects of my life for the better which have already benefitted others and for that I will always be truly grateful and a devoted fan. It is with pride that I can say "the only way is Ennis."

Thank you.

Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Edition (PC Download Code)
Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Edition (PC Download Code)
Offered by Digitalville UK
Price: 9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great on Windows 8, 64 bit. Playing with Windows 7, 64 bit causes issues but most can be worked-around, 28 Oct 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Contrary to other reviews, the description states the following:

--------------------------------------
Please note: You are purchasing a code to download the 17 games. You will only receive a card with the code to download Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Edition. You will not receive a disc.
--------------------------------------

When I bought this from Amazon, I knew what I was getting.
I agree with the review that states that the games are supposed to work on Windows 7, but as was also pointed out, not all do. I am using Windows 8 64 bit and the games that I have played so far work, here's a list:

Command & Conquer
Command & Conquer Red Alert 2: Total Size: 1.9 GB
Command & Conquer Red Alert Yuri's Revenge
Command & Conquer Renegade: Total Size: 1.4 GB
--------------------------------------

Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun and Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun Firestorm (Total Size: 1.7 GB) don't work on Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit. The only solution that I have found is to play these 2 games using a Windows XP SP3 32 bit virtual machine. I have deducted 1 star for this. Using this approach, these 2 games work perfectly.

The games are quite large and do take time to download but fortunately Origin (the program used to download and launch these games) has a built-in download manager that resumes if the connection is lost. So no matter how slow your connection is, you will eventually download them.

For assistance with these games I would very highly recommend the Official Command and Conquer Forums ( commandandconquer.com/forums/ ) for assistance. There are many dedicated fans willing to help you. We have not yet found a solution to Tiberian Sun / Tiberian Sun Firestorm not working on Windows 7 64 bit or later but the vast majority of other issues have been resolved/worked-around.

The issue with Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun and Tiberian Sun Firestorm is that the game installs and can be launched as normal but clicking on any of the menu options e.g. to start a new game, a new skirmish, online play or to load an existing game resulting in nothing happening. It is as if you never clicked the option (the game doesn't crash for me). There a number of workarounds listed on the forums but none have yet worked for other members or me.

I would also recommend the 1.06c Revision 3 Patch from Nyerguds for Command & Conquer and Command & Conquer The Covert Operations since it fixes some crash bugs and provides a higher resolution that makes these 2 game far easier to play. Nyerguds is a member of the forums mentioned above and is extremely helpful with any issues concerning this patch. I have not experienced any issues using his patch (just don't allow Origin to update this pair of games after installing the patch since the auto-update will undo the improvements of this patch).

My advice is to set the games to download and leave them to do so. I downloaded all of the above games in about 5 hours (the download rate varied from 800 Kbps to 1 Mbps). I will download the rest one by one so as not to use up my monthly download allowance (download cap). The largest games are:

Command & Conquer Generals: Total Size: 3.0 GB
Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3: Total Size: 15.1 GB
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars: Total Size: 11.1 GB
Command & Conquer 3 Kane's Wrath
Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight: Total Size: 5.9 GB
--------------------------------------

They can each range from 6 to 11 GB in size; I have not downloaded them yet for this reason. In total the games come to approximately 43 GB (not bad for 17 games).
One final point is about the Additional Content, which varies by region, since I live in Europe, for me this contains:

--------------------------------------
Wallpapers from some of the games (Red Alert 3 and Command and Conquer Tiberian Wars and Kane's Wrath).
Video trailers of the upcoming Command and Conquer powered by Frostbite and another game, Tiberian Alliances.
--------------------------------------

If you live outside the US, this is what you will get. The music and commemorative art are not part of this package from Amazon.
You can buy the music from the Ultimate Collection separately from Amazon as MP3 files.

For the first list of 8 games above, all worked perfectly on Windows 8 64 bit without any tweaking or changes required. Command & Conquer and Command & Conquer The Covert Operations also worked perfectly on Windows 8, 64 bit but I did install the community patch mentioned above to increase the resolution of the game. This means you can see more of the game on the screen and do not need to scroll as much. The game was created in 1995 when 640x480 was all a screen could display so it's not a fault with the game, screen resolutions have simply increased over the years. The patch works with Windows 8 64 bit without any issues (but do remember to turn off CnCDraw using the patches configuration panel (CCConfig.exe, contained in the installation folder for these 2 games).

Overall I am very pleased with this collection. I did play each game as it became available over the years i.e. from 1995 onwards but it has been a long time since I have played them so am I re-living many happy memories. I would have preferred to receive many DVDs or 1, dual layer Blu Ray disc (50 GB) with all of the games on it but the download method isn't too bad.

EA / Victory Games may provide patches in the future to eliminate the small issues that I have encountered (I have now worked around them) but this is not guaranteed. My advice is to buy this collection, 17 games for 22.17 since it is excellent value. If you encounter any issues, the Command and Conquer forum members (including myself) are happy to help.

-------------------
The specification of the computer I have been using to play these games is as follows:

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz
16 GB DDR 3 Dual Channel RAM
EVGA Geforce GTX 580 SC (x2 in SLI mode)(Nvidia 306.97 WHQL Driver)
Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit

Updated July 2014:
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz
16 GB DDR 3 Dual Channel RAM
1x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan (836 Mhz Base, 876 Mhz Boost)(Nvidia 334.89 WHQL Driver)
Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit with Update 1

Update 13th July 2014:

I can now confirm that all of the following games also work on Windows 8.1 (with Update 1) in addition to those listed above for Windows 8.0:

Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
Command & Conquer 3 Kane's Wrath
Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight

No changes were necessary to have any of these games working perfectly. Tiberian Sun and Generals/Generals Zero Hour do not work on Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1 for me (even when using the suggested workarounds). I play these in a Windows XP SP3 virtual machine (not connected to the internet) using VMware Workstation 10.0.3 instead.

Enabling Windows XP compatibility mode to resolve this has been suggested by commenters to this review (many thanks for your suggestions, they are always welcome :) ). For me this did not work but if it works for you, I'm very pleased and it's an easier alternative to using a virtual machine. From what I can tell the success of compatibility settings can vary from computer to computer, for example more than 1 source (which includes EA Support) suggest enabling Vista compatibility mode to enable Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight to work on Windows 8.0 (or newer). However for me, this was not necessary to have it working perfectly on Windows 8.1 (with Update 1), while others stated it resolved their compatibility issues (I am unsure why this varies from person to person).

I hope the above update is useful, thank you.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2014 5:30 PM BST

Plantronics 80299-03 Blackwire C220 UC Binaraul USB Corded Headset
Plantronics 80299-03 Blackwire C220 UC Binaraul USB Corded Headset

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Skype and for music, 24 Oct 2012
This headset is excellent for use with Skype, listening to music or watching videos. It is very comfortable to wear for hours at a time with no ear pain at all as other reviewers have pointed out.

I primarily use it for Skype and for listening to music on my home laptop or desktop PCs. Call quality on Skype with this headset is excellent, you can hear the person very clearly and I have never had the other person even know I was using Skype because they could hear me so clearly over the headset microphone.

The headset is great for music too. Even at low volumes I found that I couldn't hear background noise and most things happening around me. The ear cushions are not noise cancelling (the microphone does offer noise cancellation) but I found it worked very well at keeping out distractions, probably because it is a binaural headset i.e. for both ears.

The volume and mute controls work well and are convenient to use. You can also adjust the volume using the Windows built in sound controls but don't forget to increase the volume using the wired remote of the headset if you still can't hear anything or if the sound is too low (despite the volume being nearly maximum in Windows). I find a low volume in Windows with a low to medium volume on the built in wired remote works best i.e. it's clear enough without being too loud.

One point I would like to make is that the ear cushions are not made from leather (they were advertised as being leather on other websites, kudos to Amazon for not making that mistake). They are actually covered in a velvet like material, the exterior of the cushions are coarse leatherette.

The USB cord is long enough and it works with Windows XP, Windows 7, 64 bit and Windows 8, 64 bit without any additional drivers, just plug it in and it works.

Overall I am very satisfied with this headset. I hope this helps. Thanks.

Akasa AK-FN062 14cm Apache Fan - Black
Akasa AK-FN062 14cm Apache Fan - Black
Price: 14.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cooling that outperforms other 14 cm fans, 23 July 2012
I really like this fan. I bought it to cool my graphics cards (2x EVGA Geforce GTX 580 Super Clocked editions). I have mounted it on the side panel of my PC case (Coolermaster HAF 912). I have placed the fan as an air intake.

At maximum speed it lowers the temperature of the cards by up to 3 degrees Celsius. Since my cards run up to 24 hours per day for the Standford Folding@Home project long term temperature reduction is my goal.

This fan is rather noisy at full speed but I don't find too distracting (the fans of my previous 2x Geforce GTX 480s were far louder!). If I need to prioritize noise over cooling, I use the fan controller to slow it down (search for: "Computer PC CPU 3 Pin Cooling Fan Speed Controller" on Amazon UK for this). It is controlled by an adjustable dial on the supplied PCI blanking plate. I realize that this is 4 pin PWM fan but all of my motherboards 4 pin headers are in use and using a 5 to 1, 4 pin Akasa AK-CBFA03-45 Flexa FP5 PWM Splitter Cable (also available on Amazon UK) did not keep noise down enough when needed.

For those purchasing this fan for quietness, I would choose something else e.g. a 12 cm AcoustiFan: DustPROOF 120mm fan Cable (also available on Amazon UK). It moves a little less air but does so almost completely silently.

For those purchasing the 14 cm Akasa for sheer cooling power, you have made the right choice. It outperforms (in terms of the volume of air moved i.e. CFM (cubic feet per minute) other 14 cm equivalents e.g. the Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition High Airflow 140 mm fan or the Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 140 mm fan. Both of these fans cannot match the Akasa. Added to it that the Akasa delivers a more centralized airflow thanks to it S-FLOW blades and you have a winner. I have not encountered another fan than that offers wide airflow over its entire diameter. Other fans focus all of their cooling in one part of their diameter while neglecting the rest of its fan area, not the Akasa.

Overall, 5 stars for superior cooling and a well thought out design.