Profile for Martin Dennett > Reviews

Content by Martin Dennett

Martin Dennett (Cheshire, UK)

Gin O'clock
Gin O'clock
by The Queen [of Twitter]

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hilarious!, 27 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Gin O'clock (Hardcover)
If you only ever read one book in your life - this is the one to read! I downloaded the iTunes book late Friday night and by Sunday lunch time was halfway through, usually only stopping to fit in some work and sleep. I'm a latecomer to Twitter but my son put me onto Queen_UK and the tweets are hilarious. This book follows the same lines, and is satire at its best. The various members of the Royal Family are portrayed as the general public no doubt sees them, and it had me in stitches when Charles was given Australia to "rule over for a day", and Victoria Beckham would be seated so far back at the Royal Wedding that she'd "almost be in Surrey". Loved all the stuff about the Middletons too, bringing "Asda value meat" to the pre-wedding BBQ. Politicians don't escape either, with Cameron and Clegg coming in for some serious bashing!

Buy it, read it, and be amused by it. If you don't laugh, you don't have a sense of humour!

(Written by tweeter @n654us)

Oulton Park's Greatest Hits: Volume 5  - 1991/92 [VHS]
Oulton Park's Greatest Hits: Volume 5 - 1991/92 [VHS]

5.0 out of 5 stars Been there, done that!, 5 Feb. 2011
Me & my best mate are featured in this video! He used to have it, lent it to a mate some years ago and hasn't seen it since :(

We were doing a single stage rally in November 1991 in atrocious weather. On one stage, we came out of Cascades *up* the hill along the Avenue, and encountered a tyre chicane installed for that particular stage. As I recall, we slightly overcooked it on the exit and got a wheel on the grass. My mate tried to correct the slide, but only succeeded in doing a 360 on the grass. We came nowhere on the event, it being won by Tony Gillingham driving a Renault 5GT Turbo - that car couldn't half shift! We were in a 2.3 Vauxhall Chevette which was too heavy to compete with Escort Cossies with 2 litre engines. The point was though, we had fun!

Autocourse 2010/2011: The World's Leading Grand Prix Annual (Autocourse: The World's Leading Grand Prix Annual)

5.0 out of 5 stars Errors & bias, 29 Dec. 2010
Despite my love for the sport & the anticipation of receiving the annual, I find that yet again, some glaringly obvious errors have crept into the finished article. Having read only the first 40 or so pages, there are 3 errors which jumped out immediately to me. It's not the first time; the last couple of years have seen schoolboy-type errors creep in. I know there is a rush to get the book out in time for Christmas and that there is a tight timescale to work to, but as each section is written, there should be some proof-reading done. It's disappointing and it spoils an otherwise comprehensive review of the F1 season (amongst others).

As for bias - the Top 10 drivers of the year should not have contained Michael Schumacher. Whilst his previous driving record speaks for itself, 2010 was the year that Schumacher would undoubtedly prefer to forget. For the first time in his F1 career, he hasn't enjoyed number 1 status within the team. He was comprehensively blown away by Rosberg (who rightly was placed higher than Schumacher in the top 10) and must have wondered if it wouldn't have been better to stay with Ferrari in an ambassadorial role.

Alan Henry should employ the services of a proof-reader, and court other journalists' opinions before commiting to print. It's not the first time I've passed comments on Henry's mistakes (see my previous reviews); I have the feeling it won't be the last.

Autocourse Annual 2009-2010: The World's Leading Grand Prix Annual (Autocourse: The World's Leading Grand Prix Annual)

5.0 out of 5 stars Autocourse 2009-2010 review, 12 Jan. 2010
A "must-read" for all Formula 1 fans. As usual, detailed race details, stats, etc. covering Jenson Button's Championship winning season. An annual which never fails to disappoint.

adidas Samba Super Mens Trainers 9 Black
adidas Samba Super Mens Trainers 9 Black
Offered by Start Fitness

5.0 out of 5 stars Samba review, 12 Jan. 2010
Have been wearing Samba black & white trainers for longer than I care to remember. Would never buy anything else - never go out of style and extremely comfortable. In the words of Tina Turner - "Simply The Best"
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2010 7:04 PM GMT

Reckless
Reckless
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars His best ever album, 21 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Reckless (Audio CD)
Went to see Tina Turner in concert in 1985 and heard that Bryan Adams was supporting her. "Bryan who" I asked. The first and only gig I've been to where the support act got called back for an encore. The day after, I went out and bought Reckless and virtually wore it out. There's not a bad song on there, and obviously Summer of 69 is the absolute favourite. But the whole album is timeless - nothing on there says that it's 25 years old. Every single track is worth listening to over and over. "Heaven" had a special meaning for me, as I'm sure it has for a lot of people, but sometimes things are best left unsaid. It's still a fantastic song though. Every gig I've been to of his since 1985 has got better and better, and with Scotty on lead, they make a fantastic sound. That's not dissing the other members of the band, as they all compliment each other perfectly, but Bryan & Keith always seem as though they're just mates fooling around. If there's one album you should have in your collection - this is the one!

The Top 100 Formula One Drivers of All Time
The Top 100 Formula One Drivers of All Time
by Alan Henry

4.0 out of 5 stars Errors that should have been picked up in proof-reading, 27 Mar. 2008
A little disappointed with some of the factual errors that have crept into an otherwise good read.

For example, Jean Alesi's 2001 season was split between Prost and Jordan, but Henry misses that, stating that he ended his career with the Prost team.

Under Felipe Massa's listing, Henry states that Raikkonen left McLaren to succeed Schumacher at the end of the '05 season - it was 2006.

René Arnoux apparently drove for Renault for 13 years, from 1970 - 1982.

They're just the few that stick out at the moment - I've not finished reading the book yet. Not the quality I'd expect from someone as respected as Alan Henry when writing about motor racing .