Profile for SideshowJazz1 > Reviews

Content by SideshowJazz1

SideshowJazz1 "jazzykid1-bookworm" (New Zealand)

Midnight
Midnight
by Jacqueline Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars Make A Wish (Slight Spoilers), 15 May 2013
This review is from: Midnight (Paperback)
I first got this book when it first came out. I was seven years old, possibly eight. It didn't hold much appeal to me at the time, but as I got older, the book proved to have many interesting layers to look at.
The main plot is about Violet, a young teenager who is questioning her family life. She doesn't connect with her parents at all, but she adores her brother Will, although as of late, Will has learned that he is actually an adopted child, although he and Violet look alike. But Will is a very complicated character. He can be the best older brother in the world to Violet, but he can also be the most evil, and he finds it easy to control Violet at times, who, like her name, is a bit of a shrinking violet.
Then Jasmine appears on the scene. She's joining Violet's class. She's pretty, she's confident, and she and Violet are best friends almost instantly. But when Jasmine first sees Will, just as Violet is telling her about how they're not actually related, it's interest at first sight. Can Violet learn to stand up for herself with Jasmine's help, or is Will going to ruin it by having a hold over her best friend?
Violet's favourite books are fairy books by the artist Casper Dream. These play a huge part in the story. Violet has sewn the fairies in his books and hung them from the ceiling of her room. Late in the book, she makes Jasmine a fairy, although Jasmine secretly laughs at it. But the all-new introduction from Jacqueline says that she mirrored her three main characters with fairy characters - Will is the fairy changeling, replacing a beloved baby, Violet is the shy Violet Fairy, who is easily trampled upon, and Jasmine is an enchantress, with irresistible magic and beauty.
I recently wrote a piece based on an early chapter in the book, which makes an example of one of the many times Will shows control over Violet.
I hope you read this book. If you look beyond the surface, there's a lot to enjoy, and the characters do have more interesting complex personalities than most of Jacqueline Wilson's characters have. For that reason, I recommend this more to older children rather than her younger fans, as they won't enjoy it as much.

Recess: School's Out [DVD] [2001] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Recess: School's Out [DVD] [2001] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good - Underrated, 22 April 2013
The review I first saw on this claimed that the TV show of Recess "jumped the shark" with this movie. In my opinion, although I prefer the ten-minute episodes, this movie isn't as bad as that. It's funny, creative, and entertaining. My main problem is that it is much less realistic than the TV show, with a simplistic villain, and a plot I'd expect from a "Spy Kids" movie.
I won't go into the plot. The main idea is that a jealous ex-principal wants to bring up test scores by making it impossible for kids to have fun outside, so they spend all their time inside studying - and they try to take summer vacation away to do so.
The characters are still the same people, with the main gang still having their tendency to get into trouble (specifically TJ), and while many of the antagonists from the show work with the other characters, they still have the same personality traits and quirks (ie: The Ashleys).
My main complaint with the movie is no fault of the movie itself, but rather my own opinion. I liked the TV shows because it gave endless possibilities to see the characters of the kids. The movie had to focus on action, and as such, it didn't spend much time on character, as the main audience would value action. My favourite character has always been Spinelli, and I just missed her for some reason, even though she was there as much as anyone else. Maybe I'm just blinded as a TJXSpinelli shipper.
OK. But overall, this is a decent (but underrated) movie. I wouldn't buy it at huge expense, but if it's going cheap, definitely worth it.

Falling Apart
Falling Apart
by Jacqueline Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Tina's Tale, 13 May 2012
This review is from: Falling Apart (Hardcover)
It's a good story. It's about a girl called Tina and her first real love. I don't know why, but she seems a lot like another Tina I know, but I digress.
The plot is fairly complicated, and it's more for teenagers Tina's age (15) on average, but it's one of Wilson's best, and it was reprinted for a reason. I highly recommend it.

Cleo: How a small black cat helped heal a family
Cleo: How a small black cat helped heal a family
by Helen Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleo: How A Family Grew with A Small Black Cat, 7 Feb. 2011
Well, what can I say? When I got this for Christmas, I couldn't put it down. The first few chapters made me cry, as it began with nine-year-old Sam's death, the elder son of the author. I loved watching the family change, especially after Cleo's appearance. First there was the birth of Lydia, the divorce, and the remarriage, which in turn prompted the birth of Katharine. The photos in the book were also a highlight, as it meant I could connect with the characters more.
As for Cleo herself, she seemed almost human in the story. She seemed to be more aware than my cat, Zoe, and seemed to make everyone around her adore her. But I have to admit, my favourite bits of the story were the bits with Lydia in it, as I felt I could connect with her the most out of everyone in the story.
Just read the book! You won't regret it.

Handle with Care
Handle with Care
by Jodi Picoult

5.0 out of 5 stars Tears Coming Up, 30 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Handle with Care (Paperback)
This was the first Jodi Picoult book I ever read. I felt especially sympathetic towards the older daughter in the family, teenage Amelia, who was practically ignored because of her little sister, Willow, who had osteogenesis imperfecta. I liked Sean, the father, and I adored Willow, but I hated the mother, Charlotte. Although she only wanted to help her daughter, she was sacrificing her closest friendship at the same time.
Handle With Care is a good book to read if you're looking for something dramatic but quite sweet, but (spoiler) be prepared for a sad ending.

Lord of the Flies
Lord of the Flies
by William Golding

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing but touching, 30 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Lord of the Flies (Paperback)
OK, we all know that this is a book for NCEA students in NZ. Well, I can't enjoy it any other way! The first time I read it, I thought it was totally boring. Not to mention I was so distracted I didn't actually realize Simon was dead until I read the last sentence of Chapter Nine. Okay, even more spoilers coming up.
I don't really like the story much, but the symbolism is brilliant, and I love the characters. Simon especially, but I have a soft spot for Jack, surprisingly. Okay...stop thinking about how cute Simon would be if he was my age and GET TO THE STORY!
Okay, it's about a group of boys stranded on an island. The main characters are: Ralph, a fairly sensible boy, popular with the others, leads the boys in the early chapters. Then there's "Piggy", you never find out his real name. He's overweight with glasses, but he's sensible. Sadly, he is overlooked and taunted by the other boys, and is murdered at the end. The third main character you meet is Jack, who starts off bossy, impulsive and prone to anger, and then turns bloodthirsty and savage by Chapter Nine. The fourth main character is my favourite, shy little Simon. He's not as much of an outcast as Piggy, but since he's spiritually aware, different from the others, and has a tendency to faint, he's more mentally an outsider, and ends up being murdered when the boys are so hyper they think he's a monster that is actually a metaphorical thing that is part of the boys.
When you first start the story, Ralph becomes leader and forms a society, trying to get them rescued. There is a mention of a "beast" on the island, but the older boys don't take it seriously.
By Chapter 5, the "beast" is getting more of a reality. Jack yells at the little kids for bringing the idea up, and Simon shyly tries to articulate the thought that the beast is part of them, but no one understands.
Three chapters later, the beast is alive and well, and most of the boys have let it take them over, soon leading to Simon's death in the next chapter, symbolizing the end of innocence in a way. Jack has broken off from Ralph's group and taken most of the boys with him, becoming savage.
Two chapters after the first death, Piggy's death follows, soon after Jack and his savages steal his glasses. Finally, Ralph is the only civilized boy left. Jack's group attempts to kill him, but they are rescued just before they can.
It ends with Ralph crying on the beach, crying for the end of innocence, the "darkness of man's heart", and it leaves me with sadness and an essay to write.
I liked it, but seriously, only read it if you can really get into symbolism. If not, watch some of the parody songs and raps about Lord of The Flies on YouTube.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2012 2:58 PM GMT

Spells and Psychic Powers
Spells and Psychic Powers
by Soraya

4.0 out of 5 stars "And it harm none so be it", 4 Sept. 2008
I enjoyed reading this book and it gave me a lot of enjoyment. I especially liked reading about my star sign-Aquarius! I also casted a friendship spell that actually worked. I also thought the tarot and meanings of objects were brilliant. For example, an alligator could mean a dangerous enemy, which was a weird coincidence, because in a Simpsons episode where Bart was supposed to be murdered by a dangerous enemy, there was an alligator, that kept trying to bite him.
Brilliant book!