Profile for Mr. Tony J. Berrington > Reviews

Content by Mr. Tony J. Be...

Mr. Tony J. Berrington

Cooking with My Indian Mother-in-law: Mastering the Art of Authentic Indian Home Cooking
by Simon Daley

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favour - make the dhana jiru spice mix he describes, 3 Aug. 2012
The best thing I've experienced with this book is making the dhana jiru spice mix the author describes. It's coriander and cumin seed, roasted and then ground, with the advice not just to buy the two powdered spices from the supermarket and mix them up. The roasted and ground version is awesome, an aroma that has me salivating when I open the box that I keep it in. I've only cooked the chana and dhudi (bottle gourd) recipe, and pumpkin and spinach recipe so far but they both made a lovely vegetarian thali with a raita and chutneys and pickles alongside.

Indian Superfood
Indian Superfood
by Gurpareet Bains

5.0 out of 5 stars I had the problem with pages falling out too, but..., 3 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Indian Superfood (Paperback)
The pages falling out problem is a production flaw, and I can see where the glue on the spine is faulty on my copy. It only took out about 30 pages in mine, basically the breakfast section and I'm not going to change the habit of a lifetime and start getting adventurous first thing in the morning, so it's not a problem for me in using what is an otherwise excellent collection of recipes. I've tried quite a few recipes from this book, and found them very good. The prawn with baby spinach is so quick to cook, very tasty, and I have used the same recipe with chicken subsituted for the prawns. Lamb with carrot and star anise was pretty awesome too. The author gives several recipes that include sea salad (i.e. a dried seaweed mixture you can buy in health food shops.) I've now tried this with lamb and then chicken and will try it with prawns and then chickpeas. Because it is bloody good. The seaweed adds a lovely additional savoury note to the flavour.

Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
by Fuchsia Dunlop

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 3 Aug. 2012
This is a beautiful book. Previous Chinese cookery books I've bought have advised buying ingredients that I wound up throwing out because there were no recipes included for them. Last weekend I cooked 3 recipes from this book, and managed to use 3 of those ingredients I'd previously had to throw away. And they were delicious. There's a nice mix of recipes for quick and simple weekday meals as well as things you would be proud to serve for weekend dinner guests. Vegetables, bean curd, and salads are given some prominence, and you could easily serve a menu that is meaty, or one that is almost vegetarian, or a full vegetarian menu, from this book. Plenty of advice for using leftovers too - cooked chicken, twice cooked pork, red cooked pork, all great as noodle toppings, and you can easily add some veggies to that for a one dish, weekday meal.