Profile for M Fuller > Reviews

Content by M Fuller

M Fuller "Woollyfuller" (Andover Hants)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Jim Dunlop MXR Dyna Comp Pedal
Jim Dunlop MXR Dyna Comp Pedal
Offered by Hot Rox UK Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Compressor Pedal... Yes Please!!, 12 Sep 2014
I needed to tighten up my sound. I play through an Ibanez Strat/Fender Tele and a Mesa Boogie and the sound always seemed to get lost in a wall of noise, the tight note picking and riffing was a bit mushy and boomy at times (to me anyway). It seemed a shame to have such a nice setup but not really getting a top quality sound - I needed a compressor!

So having researched all the different compressor on the market, of which there are lots I ended up on the MXR Dyna Comp, many in the trade rave about it and it got the least amount of bad press I could find. So it was an obvious choice, the pricing wasn't too bad either compared to some of the more boutique type pedals.. I won't say this is the best compressor out there as I haven't tried many, but its reviews speak for themselves..

All I can say is what a pedal! It tightens up the sound loads whilst adding awesome sustain! Clean it makes your sound balanced and snappy, great for picking. When overdriven it adds a ton of juicy sustain - grab the whammy bar and you can hold a note indefinitely whilst it moves through loads of lovely dirty harmonics! What a treat!

I kind of wonder now how I spent years without this pedal on my board! It is on permanently and I know I'll never get bored of it and sell it like I do with all my other pedals! Its a right keeper.

If you have a problem with your presence and need a little bit more control of your sound - get this, its proper good!

The Complete Liveship Traders Trilogy: Ship of Magic, The Mad Ship, Ship of Destiny

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read!!, 31 Jan 2014
Having read the Assassins Aprentice trilogy which I liked quite a bit, I moved onto the Liveship trilogy... Based in the same world as the previous books I expected more of the same... Longwinding story lines and epic character development. Yes you do get alot of this, but somehow this was much better...
The Ships are cool, the characters are awesome, the battles and fights are wicked... But the real strength of these books are two characters.. Kennet the Pirate King and Paragon the cursed Liveship. Kennet is wickedly awesome and everything a true pirate should be.. Paragon keeps you hanging on to find out why he is doomed and his path to redemption is a great read..
By far the best Robin Hobb has produced so far and I wasn't bored for one minute!
You must read the Assassins trilogy first, but this is no bad thing and it makes waiting for these book all the more tantalising.

Brilliant!

Hits Alive
Hits Alive
Offered by Books2anywhereUS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great accessible Country Music, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Hits Alive (Audio CD)
I have always wondered what Country music was about - having not been exposed to much of it in the past. Brad Paisley is a great introduction to the genre. He has an all round appeal.

There are some "really" good songs on this CD - some make you laugh and others make you want to cry. Really enjoyed every single track!

Not only this he is a great guitar player and mixes a great tone with some blistering solos. Some of the live songs were pretty unbelievable.

Highly recommended.

Crime
Crime

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of challenges - but, so worth it..., 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Crime (Kindle Edition)
"Crime" is somehow very different from Irvine Welsh's other books. It has his feel and style, but it is very touching and ultimately more heartfelt than other Welsh novels I have read.

The main character Ray is a Scottish policeman who is painfully flawed, but you grow to like him and when you learn why he is like he is you grow to love him, very rarely does a character in a book hit me like Ray managed to, he is a very broken hero who has an uncomfortable path to follow to gain some redemption in his life. This book deals with a very difficult subject matter and is hard reading at times, its a subject that not many authors would have the courage to tackle, but its real and it happens. Welsh has an uncanny way of making you feel part of the story and I for one, really routed for Ray in the end. I was touched and amazed by how "powerful" this story became as I turned the pages. The ending brought a tear to my eye and this surprised me no end as I am a grown man and not usually susceptible to this kind of thing...

Beautifully written and I "truly" hope people read this brief review and buy this book... Irvine Welsh can often be amazing and this novel is up there with the best I have ever read - a very special story for me at least.

Thank you Mr Welsh.

Planet Waves PW-CT-12 NS Micro Headstock Tuner
Planet Waves PW-CT-12 NS Micro Headstock Tuner

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably not the best one you can get, 24 Jan 2014
Based on Planet Waves usually making some of the best stuff on the market I went for this.

In retrospec I probably should have shopped around a bit first. Issues are:

1. Screen is tiny.
2. The clip is not that great.
3. On the top E (thinnest string) it takes a while to get it to register.

That said - its not awful and tunes fine, but I am sure there is better out there for a similar price.

New Horrizon - Black Replacement Front Outer Glass Screen Lens For Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 - Tools Included
Offered by NewHorrizon

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't do it.... Take it to a shop or send to the contract provider!!, 24 Jan 2014
Considering a cracked screen repair is monumentally expensive I decided to try a fix myself. Using You Tube videos I managed to get my old cracked screen off after a pretty long battle and thankfully the LCD etc was all fine, but it was proper tough job and I wouldn't recommend it.

My problem with this replacement is as follows:

1. I am not sure this made from the same material as the original screen, the original felt thinner. So the new screen seems to have affected the touch response, you have to press again and again to get it to react, the screen wizzes away at the slightest touch so things like Facebook and texting is nigh on impossible, it just doesn't work. I tested the LCD after the removal of the old screen and it worked 100% fine. So it is defo this replacement that has caused it to go all wobbly.
2. The replacement is awful for finger marks and smudges, you just have to touch it and it leaves greasy fingerprints and marks - my screen is constantly foggy now and a bugger to clean. The original didn't have this problem - don't know why, but it probably has to do with the quality of the plastic.

Seriously think long and hard about this as it has destroyed my phone completely now - if I could turn back time I would have taken it to a shop and paid the £70... I won't be told this is down to me either as I am quite good at this sort of thing did a very clean job..

Electro-Harmonix Nano LPB1 linear power booster
Electro-Harmonix Nano LPB1 linear power booster
Offered by Dangleberry Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect! Great Pedal, 2 Jan 2014
I brought this to replace a Boss graphic, it is mainly for boosting to solo volumes. The Graphic coloured my tone and didn't seem to create a clean boost and I was never happy with it. So I shopped around and having used EH pedals before I brought the LPB with confidence, although you can never be sure unless you try these pedals in a shop. But my hunch was right and the pedal is better than expected.

It gives you more boost than you could possibly need whilst not really colouring the tone, it does lift the mids and top end some what, but in a nice punchy way which is what you need, it doesn't add any real further gain even through my tube amp. It boost cleans and heavy tones, some pedals are really only good at boosting cleans, but this does both very well. My mate has the MXR version of this and it was twice the price, this is better.

In about 10mins this became one of my favourite pedals, and for the price you cannot get better sounds and build quality.

If you are interested in boosting volumes whilst keeping a nice tone and response, look no further.

It is so simple, but really is an awesome little pedal - I love it!

American Gods
American Gods

1.0 out of 5 stars Errrrrr... No idea what this is about!, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: American Gods (Kindle Edition)
I forced myself to read a third of this novel before I had (and I do mean HAD) to give up. It was confusing, drippy, wierd... etc.
I really wanted to like it, but it is so boringly written it defies belief. The characters are dull and you just don't care for them enough to follow through with the story, which for me is a disaster. The plot just didn't work at all, such a great idea, but so awfully executed, maybe if you smoke alot of drugs it would make more sense!
This has turned me off Giaman completely, an if Amazon gave refunds I wouldn't hesitate to ask for one, worse £5 I've spent in a longtime.

GUITAR EFFECTS FX MULTI POWER SUPPLY - 9 VOLT & 1 8VOLT - POWERS UP TO 10 PEDALS
Offered by supermusic57

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent power supply!, 18 Sep 2013
This is a really decent little power supply for guitar pedals - includes 4x 18v ports which is very useful.

Many purists are not keen on these type of supplies as they are effectively a daisy chain in a box and don't have isolates PSU per port. But, I run this with all my pedals (Boss, Electro Harmonix, Crybaby, Trex, Marshall, TC Electronics) and it works perfectly and sits really nicely on my pedal board. There is absolutely no hum or hiss produced by this supply that I can hear. Considering the isolated PSU supplies are at least 3 times the price I really can't see the point in them for the average guitarist with mainstream pedals.

The only thing I would say is these type of supplies work well on pedal boards, I doubt they would be that great if you had pedals on the floor!

Much tidier and easier to set up than a daisy chain rig and far cheaper than posh supplies - whats not to like!

Highly recommended.

The Way of Kings: The Stormlight Archive Book One
The Way of Kings: The Stormlight Archive Book One

2.0 out of 5 stars Immensely boring!, 18 Sep 2013
Maybe I'm not cut out for epic Sci Fi novels, although I can handle epic sagas!, I was monumentally bored reading this, 200 pages in and nothing worth noting had happened. I had to give in and I never give in! It was confusing, indulgent and dull - maybe the remaining 800 pages were better, but I doubt it!.

Only buy this if you have the right kind of mind for this type of book! Don't be tempted if not!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4