Profile for Peter Bloomfield > Reviews

Guitar Rack - 5 Guitar Stand
Guitar Rack - 5 Guitar Stand

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy but not ideal for acoustics, 28 July 2011
This review is from: Guitar Rack - 5 Guitar Stand
This is a great guitar stand for the price. Very useful, quite easy to assemble, and can be adjusted to suit different types of guitar. I use it to hold three full-size guitars -- electric, electro-acoustic, and classical. It's entirely adequate for the job and there is plenty of padding. However, despite being a 5-guitar rack, I don't think it could really take any more full-bodied acoustics safely as they'd just be a little too close together.

8 Piece Modern Circle Design Glass Placemats & Coasters Set
8 Piece Modern Circle Design Glass Placemats & Coasters Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern and tasteful, 7 Aug 2010
This is a good set of placemats. The design is very well suited to a modern dining room, and I haven't had any problems keeping them clean. Robustness hasn't been a problem either, although I haven't had any especially heavy items on them yet. Each placement has a little rubber pad under each corner to raise it off the table and provide some stability. These work well, and a few spare ones were supplied in case any of them come off.

One slight annoyance was the big stickers on a couple of the placemats (I think they were warning me of the hazards of broken glass or something like that... I can't exactly remember). The stickers were very difficult to remove without scratching the glass. I had to soak them in very hot water a couple of times and take a sponge scourer to them before all the gluey residue was removed. Other than that though, I'm happy with the product.

Kensington Orbit Optical Wired USB Trackball Mouse - Silver and Black
Kensington Orbit Optical Wired USB Trackball Mouse - Silver and Black
Price: 16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good points, 7 Aug 2010
This trackball is quite basic, but it achieves most of its intended purpose very well. The trackball motion is very smooth and quite pleasant to use, and seems to offer good accuracy. It has the fairly unusual feature that the ball itself is easily removed for cleaning. That's not ideal in all circumstances, but if the device is placed on a steady surface then it is unlikely to fall out accidentally.

I found it very easy to install the device on a Windows 7 computer -- I just plugged it in, and after a few moments the computer had recognised it and I was up and running. No need for complex installation and configuration.

One negative point I would suggest is the placement of the buttons. They seem a little awkward to me, and I found that I strained my fingers after quite a short period of use. However, consciously adjusting my hand position to fit the layout relieved the problem, even though it was a little counter-intuitive. Other than that, the only other negative point in my opinion is the lack of features. As I said before, it is a basic product, so limited functionality is not surprising. The lack of scroll wheel or middle mouse button is somewhat frustrating though.

3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development (Wordware Game Math Library)
3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development (Wordware Game Math Library)
by Fletcher Dunn
Price: 60.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK in places, but not ideal, 13 May 2010
I bought this book while studying for a degree in Computer Games Technology, and certainly found it helpful in understanding some of the essential maths required for game development. I know some people complain that it is "written for mathematicians", but to be honest it's almost as simple as you can get while still covering the topic enough to actually use it.

However, in its simplicity it seems to obscure a few things. There seemed to be a few minor mistakes in it, and things which just weren't terribly well defined. As such, it's OK, and I'm sure it can still be helpful for some readers, but I would recommend using it alongside something a bit more solid, such as "Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications: A Programmer's Guide".

Ravensburger Puzzleball - The World (540 pieces)
Ravensburger Puzzleball - The World (540 pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars A really fun challenge, 18 July 2009
This is a brilliant jigsaw, providing good mental stimulation and great fun. My knowledge of geography has never been wonderful, but I actually really enjoyed examining each piece for clues about which country/continent it belonged to. In total, I probably took about 16 hours to complete it over the course of 5 days.

The real challenge was with the open ocean, as there are quite a number of pieces which are exactly the same shape, but only slightly different on the face. (Lines of longitude and latitude are plotted over the whole globe, so there are always clues.) I confess I resorted to using the numbers on the back several times!

A few issues to be aware of if you are considering buying this:

1. It takes a lot of patience, with a fairly steady hand and quite dextrous fingers to fix the pieces together securely.

2. A lot of the writing is fairly small, so you will need good eyesight or good glasses!

3. Small details of the map are sometimes lost or distorted at the edge of each piece, so the resulting globe is not 100% ideal for educational value, but it's still very good.

4. The finished puzzle is strong enough to be handled, but could still fall apart into lots of small pieces with only a little force -- careful around young children!

Despite these points, I heartily recommend this product to anybody who likes a stimulating challenge.

Out of the Comfort Zone: Your God is Too Nice: Your God Is Too Nice
Out of the Comfort Zone: Your God is Too Nice: Your God Is Too Nice
by R.T. Kendall
Price: 7.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Possibly too bold, 6 July 2009
I initially read this book hoping it would be primarily about relying on God in hard situations, and how He often calls us to do difficult things. Rather, it is more about salvation, God's sovereignty, and His right to do whatever He wants.

I cannot say I fully agree with everything Kendall says, and part of it sounds like he is just ranting a little about why he's a Calvinist! Having said that, it is an interesting book, and Kendall never fails to raise relevant and insightful challenges.

Anybody who already believes and knows a good deal about the sovereignty of God and the doctrine of election will probably be fine with this book. However, I think most Christians would do well to read JI Packer's "Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God" first, as some of Kendall's writing can be a bit scary if you're not prepared for it!

Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God (IVP Classics)
Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God (IVP Classics)
by Mark Dever

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 6 July 2009
This endures as one of my favourite Christian books ever, because it is so well written and tackles a difficult topic boldly. I didn't find it easy to read, partly because it deals with more heavily theological issues than I am used to, and partly because it clashed somewhat with the views on salvation and grace that I had held and understood for many years.

I strongly recommend this for any Christian who feels up to the challenge. Depending on your background, you may or may not agree with all the consequences Packer discusses, but he remains very solidly scriptural throughout. You cannot go wrong by reading this.

Brave readers may also be interested to follow it up by reading RT Kendall's "Out of the Comfort Zone: Your God is Too Nice", which expands on many of the issues Packer raises (although be warned that Kendall is a lot less gentle than Packer!).

PROVERBS (Fisherman Bible study guides)
PROVERBS (Fisherman Bible study guides)
by WRIGHT VINITA HAMPTON
Price: 4.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and useful, 6 July 2009
I have used this Bible study book in a variety of contexts, including personal or 1-on-1 studies, and small groups with teenagers or adults. It is quite flexible, as you can go into more or less detail on topics, depending on who you are with or what area is particularly important at the time. (Unlike some Bible study books, it is not clearly aimed too low or too high.)

Admittedly, it doesn't stand out as a particularly exceptional collection of Bible studies -- the leader's notes in particular are not as helpful as they could be. Nonetheless, it never fails to be useful, and is thoughtfully structured.

The Christian and the Pharisee: Two Outspoken Religious Leaders Debate the Road to Heaven
by R. T. Kendall

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, fascinating, and encouraging, 6 July 2009
This book shows a respectful but intense discussion between two men: an evangelical Christian, and a Jewish rabbi.

For me, the greatest thing about this book is seeing how these two men (who are good friends) speak to each other about (and despite) their differences. It is so easy to get angry or to end up in overly heated debates when people disagree with us, especially on matters of faith and religion, but these two men are humble and respectful throughout. There is much we can probably all learn from their example.

The next greatest thing I found in this book was a wealth of knowledge about Judiasm and Pharisees. As a Christian myself, I didn't even realise how ignorant I was of these topics! The insights were fascinating and helped present a challenge for my own ideas of faith and theology.

I will comment that I do not entirely agree with all that RT Kendall teaches as a Christian leader. Don't let that put you off reading this book if you are in the same situation though. I recommend this book to anybody from whatever faith (or no faith at all). It is very interesting and encouraging.

Medal Of Honor: Heroes 2 (Wii)
Medal Of Honor: Heroes 2 (Wii)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC
Price: 19.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for moderate gamers, 31 May 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The main thing to say about this game is how incredible the control scheme is. I have never liked first person shooter games on consoles (I always preferred the PC), but I read good reviews, and this game sounded like a break from the norm. It makes amazing use of the Wiimote potential in a variety of ways, and I think this game is worth the purchase for that fact alone. Different weapons are even controlled in different ways, but it's remarkably not very difficult to learn them.

One of the greatest examples is that you can hide behind cover, and peak out to see your target by simply tilting the Nunchuk according to how far out you want to move. There are lots of other brilliant little ideas which are great fun finding out as you go along. I seriously hope this is the start of something new and exciting in the FPS genre, which seems to have seen little real innovation in a long time.

Having said all that, the graphics are not cutting-edge, and the whole sequence of play is fairly linear (not much AI to challenge you). Those things would likely deter a number of hardcore gamers, but I think anybody else with at least a moderate interest in FPS games would do well to give this a try.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4