Profile for Dix > Reviews

Content by Dix

Dix

Wild Justice: Number 3 in series (Nadia Stafford)
Wild Justice: Number 3 in series (Nadia Stafford)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark fun, 22 Jun. 2015
Very much enjoyed number 3 in the Nadia Stafford series. Plenty of twists and turns, fast fun and suitably dark.

After Nature
After Nature
by W. G. Sebald

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle and enlightening, 21 Aug. 2013
This review is from: After Nature (Paperback)
I read this for a book group, otherwise I probably wouldn't have picked it up; really glad I did though! It is subtly written and fascinating. I had to look up lots of the references, as I didn't know the artist or botanist who are 'characters' in this long poem. The translation seems excellent. What most surprised me, I think, was that it was funny! What a clever, clever man Sebald was!

Turkish Towel Pestemal Peshtemal for Hamam Bathrobe Spa Pool Massage Sauna Beach Yacht Gym Fitness Kitchen Yoga Baby Towel Picnic Blanket 100% Cotton Table Throw Sarong Unisex "Mint Green"

3.0 out of 5 stars not like the picture but ok, 21 Aug. 2013
I ordered this having looked at a whole range of peshtemals. I picked this because of the colour, the pattern, and the tidy tassels as illustrated. I didn't buy the cheapest available because these things mattered to me. In fact on the positive side the price was still very cheap and the quality of the towel seems OK. I haven't washed it yet, and it feels a bit stiff but I expect that to improve on washing, so thats Ok too, and I think that is normal with these towels. It is quite thin, but I expected that given the price and given what I had read about other peshtemals.

However, on the negative side, the green is yellower than illustrated (I liked the blue green, called mint green, shade as illustrated, but in practice, this is an ok light green on the yellow end of the shade - not my colour to be honest, but it is pleasant enough and would be fine for someone wanting that shade!). the tassels are also not as illustrated - they are a simple knot rather than more plaited. Again this is fine, but not what I expected (a lot of other peshtemals have this knot tassel as their illustrations show!). The pattern on this is also different to the pic! It is striped but not the wide strip illustrated but rather a closer dense stripe (more like some of the others that I rejected for that reason!). So overall, I think this is an OK towel for the price as long as you are not expecting it to be the one illustrated!

Deadly Nevergreen
Deadly Nevergreen

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, dark and unusual crime novel, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Deadly Nevergreen (Kindle Edition)
The writing in this novel is well above the usual kindle crime offering. The dark sense of place is very strong. I really liked the detective, his dad and the dog! When I first started reading this it seemed to be evoking an old fashioned almost 1950s style crime novel but then it has such very modern touches mingling with the traditional elements. It will be interesting to see what other crime buffs think about it, I suspect some will love it and some not get it at all! I don't know whether the author will write another tale with this detective, but it will be fascinating to read if she does.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2013 11:52 AM BST

The Reluctant Detective (A Faith Morgan Mystery)
The Reluctant Detective (A Faith Morgan Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the next ...?, 27 Nov. 2012
Really enjoyed this. Basic, straightforward crime novel, but I really liked the characters and liked the feel of it. Hope to see the next one in the series soon please!

Auctioned Virgin to Seduced Bride (Mills & Boon Historical Undone) (The Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars short story only, 10 Aug. 2011
i was disappointed with this. I like Louise Allen's novels but this short story is a bit nothing - basically a bit of romance novel sex and thats it! no real story or character development. it was really a bit of a waste of money, so go buy one of her novels instead.

The Soldier (Windham)
The Soldier (Windham)

4.0 out of 5 stars historically inaccurate but charming all the same, 18 July 2011
i really quite liked this. the period detail is wildly inaccurate but the characters are charming and the emotional stuff is really well written and moving. it is absorbing, hard to put down and you want more when it finishes. i enjoyed heir too and its worth reading that first, altho it's even more inaccurate to period it's still fun. i'll be looking out for more burrowes.

Lot's Wife
Lot's Wife
by Tom Wakefield

5.0 out of 5 stars A true joy, 23 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Lot's Wife (Paperback)
I read this when it was published in the late 1980s and absolutely loved it. Tom Wakefield was a beautiful writer. I enjoyed every book he wrote, but this is my favourite (try Variety Artistes too, my second fave). I think we miss so much because he died before his time. Everyday I wish there was another book to come from Wakefield - he left a huge gap. This is an uplifting exploration of ageing. The main characters are disruptive and troublesome, resisting the stereotypes of 'old folk' and their stories remind the reader to take joy when we can find it and to not give up! I still talk about this book every chance I get because it made me think differently - so few books really do that.