Profile for Ms. L. J. Oliver > Reviews

Content by Ms. L. J. Oliver

Ms. L. J. Oliver "lisa_joli" (Cheshire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Predestination
Predestination

4.0 out of 5 stars smart and unpredictable, 11 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Predestination (Amazon Video)
Intriguing! A very clever film with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing right to the end. Clever, smart and unpredictable. Different too, not overwhelmed by special effects which mskes a refreshing change.

The Signal
The Signal

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking and watchable, 6 July 2015
This review is from: The Signal (Amazon Video)
After a slow start this got going to become an intriguing little gem of a film. Some great moments which leave you reeling, an interesting plot and characters you end up rooting for; so often American teen lead characters can leave you longing for their come-uppance!

It's not a perfect film; there are plot holes and moments of hokum, but on balance it's Thought-provoking and watchable.

The Imitation Game
The Imitation Game

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliantly acted, full of suspense, 9 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Imitation Game (Amazon Video)
He was treated in such a shameful way. Why on earth was he pardoned? The government/country should have apologised. Anyway, the film... brilliantly acted, full of suspense, gripping and life-affirming too.

EXTRATERRESTRIAL
EXTRATERRESTRIAL

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it. Good fun, 9 Jun. 2015
This review is from: EXTRATERRESTRIAL (Amazon Video)
Predictable in places but it ticked all the 'teens in peril/aliens are here' boxes. I enjoyed it. Good fun, suspenseful, worth a watch!

The Shipping News
The Shipping News

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully shot. Watch it, 9 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Shipping News (Amazon Video)
Sublime acting, superb script. Beautifully shot. Watch it!

DAFA 45 mm Soft Grip Rotary Cutter, Multi-Colour
DAFA 45 mm Soft Grip Rotary Cutter, Multi-Colour
Offered by Pandoras Upholstery

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous, 3 May 2015
This product was dangerous and I had to return it. The safety device for the blade failed to extend or retract with ease which was hazardous. It took some effort to get the safety device to extend to cover the blade after using the cutter and I was very concerned that I could injure myself in the process as I had to apply considerable pressure. The plastic mechanism is flimsy and kept jamming. Not happy! This happened within 15 minutes of using the device so it's not an issue that comes from long-term use either. I've contacted Amazon with the reasons for my return as I'm concerned that this product could cause injury.

Landscapes of the Metropolis of Death: Reflections on Memory and Imagination
Landscapes of the Metropolis of Death: Reflections on Memory and Imagination
by Otto Dov Kulka

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, a harrowing subject., 19 Sept. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book though distressing, gripped me from the outset. Its a personal narrative of one of the bleakest moments in humanity's history, and as such, it's not an easy read. It is a compelling read though, and this is a beautiful addition to the Holocaust written history. I say beautiful because the language used is so well chosen. It's thoughtful and avoids cliche and melodrama. The subject matter is dramatic enough. It's a subject we shouldn't forget and we should continue to learn from. I'd recommend this book wholeheartedly.

The Humans
The Humans
by Matt Haig

3.0 out of 5 stars It could have been so much more (contains spoilers)., 7 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Humans (Hardcover)
This book has so many glowing reviews that I feel churlish not to be giving it the obligatory 4 or 5 stars. I'd like to, I really would. I read The Radleys and loved it, so much so that I recommended it as a book group read and was positively evangelical about it. So when The Humans came out, I happily ordered it. Don't get me wrong, it has its positive points; it's an engaging read, in fact I read it in two days. I couldn't say I didn't enjoy it.

So why the three (almost two) stars? Well it could have been so much more. It could have been a great book. Instead of an entertaining beach read, it could have been a challenging, life-changing novel of depth. Matt Haig has instead gone for the easy laugh; the obvious observation over anything deeper. There were several occasions where the wit got in the way of the voice. I was far too aware of the author behind the words. There were too many knowing winks to the reader; I wanted to feel the narrator's confusion, his isolation, his struggle with himself as he gained insight into what it is that makes us human. Instead I was on the outside looking in and laughing at him.

There were nit-picky plot holes aplenty too. The advanced alien technology which is unable to wipe out data on a computer or erase memories and instead has to implant a consciousness into a human, armed only with an adapted left hand and a vague plan to commit murder. This was a barely disguised a plot contrivance.

The characters were sketchy and functioned only to serve the plot, there was no sense to them having a life 'off the page' - when they disappeared from a scene, they in effect disappeared from the novel. In fact the only character I truly cared about was the dog. The most interesting relationship was the one between `father' and son, but again it was skipped over. There could have been so very much more to be said. The son's depression, his bullying, his suicidal tendencies, all of these were seemingly cured by the novel's end. If only life were so simple. Also, the son's acceptance of what has happened at the end of the novel is questionable and I struggled to believe that everything would be tied up so very neatly. Despite the real father's failings, (and he becomes more and more unlikeable as, I suspect, the author realised he needed a particular ending) I am unconvinced anyone would accept their father's death/disappearance and welcome their replacement so readily.

The Humans seems to me to be more a young adult novel. In fact I've recommended it to my son (age 15) as I think he would really enjoy it and get a lot out of it. For me though, I could see the plot ahead of me by about a fifth of the way into the novel and it was just a case of seeing it through to its predictable conclusion.

It's a shame. I had high hopes. I'm sorry to say though that at the novel's end, I mentally shrugged and thought, `meh'.

First Novel
First Novel
by Nicholas Royle

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it, and then go back and read it again., 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: First Novel (Hardcover)
Nicholas Royle's novel was recommended to me by several people. It's the first of his novels I have read and what an introduction to his writing it has proved to be.

It begins in a deceptively simple fashion. The narrator's story is that of a middle aged single man with a slightly jaded and world weary perspective. The narrative then splits and we read excerpts from Grace's novel in progress (Grace being one of his students). This too is effectively written, and I found myself equally drawn into this `story in a story'.

Without wishing to reveal too much, the absolute skill of the novel is the way it subverts expectations as it interweaves the novel's narratives into an enjoyably twisted tangle of a plot which left me quite astounded. I finished reading it last night and I am left in the rare and enjoyable position of having to go back and start reading it all over again, now I know what I know at the end.

The narratives are skilfully woven into an absolute delight of a novel. His prose is simple, clear and effective. He clearly trusts his readers to go along with him for the ride and what a ride it is. I wholeheartedly recommend this `not-his-first' novel.

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
by E L James

1.0 out of 5 stars Does anyone want an adverb before EL James uses them all?, 27 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
Oh my, what can I say? I bit my lip expectantly when the brown Amazon package arrived. I gasped audibly when I opened it. Oh my, it's 'that' seductive book, I thought with a heavy sigh. The one with the beautiful virginal heroine and the devilishly handsome seductive Mr Gray. I sighed as I held it in my lean sultry arms. I clasped it to my warm generous heaving seductive bosom. I sat down on my soft seductive (did I just say seductive before? oh well, no-one will notice ...) leather sofa and slowly began to read, seductively. Oh my, and Holy Crap, it was so amazingly brilliant. I devoured the pages with a passion I had never before experienced. Oh my, I thought as he unwrapped a foil package and entered her for the first time. Holy crap, how EL James' words claimed me, owned me. I gave into them and let them have me, all of me.
Blah blah blah blah...