Profile for Karien > Reviews

Dracula Chronicles: Son of the Dragon: 1
by Victor T. Foia
Price: 8.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally unexpected but brilliant, 7 Jan 2014
I bought this book at first because Victor Foia is a previous colleague of mine and I was already a reader of fantasy novels. But perhaps because he's a former colleague, it took me quite a while to pick it up to read. Although I expected another Dracula book in the style of all those vampire novels that seem to be popping up everywhere, I was extremely pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be totally different. It combines my 2 passions in books: historical and fantasy novels, but without the hocuspocus you will find in many other books. Although fictional, you get a feel of authenticity when reading. At the same time, you're completely drawn into the story. The other interesting thing is that it is set at a time when the Ottoman empire was at its greatest, and as not many novels cover this period from an outside perspective it's fascinating to read about. Especially the religious and cultural differences between the old Eastern European traditions and the islamic culture of the Ottoman empire (many of which are still around today). I would have appreciated a map though, just to show the supposed borders of Wallachia, Hungary, the Ottoman empire etc. Maybe a tip for the 2nd book? Can't wait for that Victor, well done!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2014 2:48 AM GMT

Thermos Glacier Leak Proof Leakproof Travel Mug, 0.4L
Thermos Glacier Leak Proof Leakproof Travel Mug, 0.4L

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, 28 Dec 2012
Although pricey, it keeps the coffee hot and doesn't spill, which was the problem with my previous travel mug.Easy to drink from.

Time Of My Life
Time Of My Life
Price: 12.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 19 Dec 2012
This review is from: Time Of My Life (Audio CD)
This album is actually much better than I expected. Better than their previous album, maybe even better than their older albums. I had seen them perform in 2009 and was a bit disappointed, but this album I play constantly.

Large pillar candle H87mm x dia 150mm-3 wick
Large pillar candle H87mm x dia 150mm-3 wick

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely candle, 19 Dec 2012
Although the candle looked to be beige-coloured, when I lighted it had a slight pink/rosy colour, but that actually looks quite nice. It creates a great atmosphere and looks like it will last quite a bit. Good value for money (as these sizes can be expensive sometimes)

Premier Housewares Pedal Trash Can - 20 Litre - Black
Premier Housewares Pedal Trash Can - 20 Litre - Black
Offered by HOME SOLUTIONS
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and looks great, 19 Dec 2012
I bought this one to recycle plastics (so a little smaller than the normal kitchen bin) and it does a good job. The quality is great, sturdier than I had expected and it really looks good.

Faux Fur Boots Dark Grey 5 (2.99)
Faux Fur Boots Dark Grey 5 (2.99)
Offered by asfashion online
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the soles!, 19 Dec 2012
I bought these knowing that they would not come close to Ugg-quality and at first they weren't bad. Colous was good, size was a bit bigger than normal but for in the house no problem. Until I slided off some steep stairs yesterday due to the lack of profile on the bottom (and maybe also the stiffness of the soles and the fit itself). It was liking having a pair of skies on! I am pretty bruised and will not wear them anymore. Maybe you can still wear them but then keep this in mind.

Saint Tropez G1427 Halterneck Women's Top Brindle Medium
Saint Tropez G1427 Halterneck Women's Top Brindle Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 19 Dec 2012
Not as nice as the blue/lavender one, but still quite nice. Lovely material and good fit (normal size). The colour is more a brown/purple but as it is transparent it will also depend on what you wear beneath it.

edc by ESPRIT 112CC1I005 Women's Jumper Black Small
edc by ESPRIT 112CC1I005 Women's Jumper Black Small

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fit and good price, 19 Dec 2012
Nice material, good fit.
I bought a size small and that may even be a little big, but still good size and laundry may shrink it a bit.

Black & Decker Pivot Dustbuster Handheld Vacuum Cleaner - 18 Volt
Black & Decker Pivot Dustbuster Handheld Vacuum Cleaner - 18 Volt
Offered by Ideabright Ltd
Price: 57.99

5.0 out of 5 stars best dustbuster around, 19 Dec 2012
Although quite pricey, this is still the best dustbuster of all mainly due to power. Too bad it only lasts for 12 minutes or so, but then I have several now in different parts of the house!

Cool Britannia 3 Litre/ 5 Litre Pedal Bins, Set of Two
Cool Britannia 3 Litre/ 5 Litre Pedal Bins, Set of Two
Price: 29.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pedal bins, 19 Dec 2012
I bought these for my organic garbage as the former I had did not close well. These are fantastic, good quality and they look brilliant!

Page: 1 | 2