Profile for Jeffrey Kraus > Reviews

Content by Jeffrey Kraus

Jeffrey Kraus (Sicily, Italy)

Tekken 4 (PS2)
Tekken 4 (PS2)
Offered by marxwax

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking, lacks features., 13 May 2003
This review is from: Tekken 4 (PS2) (Video Game)
My review:
Fighting games I own:
-Tekken 3
-Tekken Tag Tournament
-Tekken 4
-Dead Or Alive 2
I almost didn't buy Tekken 4 after comparing it with Tekken Tag Tournament on-line. I noticed, immediately, that T.4 doesn't have even half the amount of characters as T.T.T. (T.T.T. had something like 32 characters! Awesome!). Not withstanding this, I bought it anyway, hoping for an improved game and some great surprises. Unfortunately, I cannot boast the game has either. Instead, the game plays very similar to T.3 and T.T.T. and has fewer surprises than both! I am only happy to see a newly worked TEKKEN FORCE MODE which is entertaining. Even the music is lousy (I have my music set to OFF). I agree with everything that reviewer D M JAMES has written. The controls and fighting are good, but the same, basically, as T.3. The obstacles just seem to get in the way, and are not SO OVERLY IMPRESSIVE or FUNNY that they matter at all. The graphics look beaitiful, but who cares if the game becomes boring within 1 hour. I found myself much more eager to play T.T.T. the day after I bought T.4. I am unclear why the 'TAG TEAM' mode play was completely left out of T.4. This, to me, was a big mistake. Tag play was very exciting, and especially fun to play with multiple players! I must admit that I also expected that some backgrounds would offer more depth (like in the DOA2 game I have); instead, T.4 seems to have LESS depth than DOA2 (which came out LAST year).
Basic negatives:
*No tag-team play.
*Too few characters!
*Many good characters missing! (Forest Law, Anna, GunJack, etc...)
*One of the new characters even has the same fighting style as a previous Tekken character -- Eddy (who does not appear, as a fighter, in this game).
*No adorable "Gon" :)
*No Great new characters added.
*The stupid Combot (undoubtedly inspired by the stupid robots in Star Wars: Episode I and II) I much preferred Tetsujin or Mokujin!
*No TEKKEN BOWLING
*No TEKKEN BEACH VOLLEYBALL
*Basically: Nothing creative added. The same old thing, again.
*Nothing to draw the player into tournaments, etc...
*No rewards, or 'fighting for money' or different cups to win, etc... (i.e. B O R I N G )
Basic positives:
*Nice looking.
*Plays good.
*Tekken Force Mode has been re-worked, and is quite nice.
*New menus are nice.
P>Sincerely,
-Jeff Kraus

FIFA Football 2002 (PS2)
FIFA Football 2002 (PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2 cents worth ..., 12 Feb. 2003
written on February 12, 2003.
I received this game as a Birthday gift around Christmas, 2001.
It was frustrating to get used to the controls, and losing much of the time. But having progressed to NOW -- I LOVE this game! I have LOVED it for about 6 months. I had some initial trouble getting the database to agree with what I was asking of it (over 50 created players, over 20 created teams, editing existing team names/Player names and flushing out (or transferring) entire groups of players from existing teams, creating over 20 different cups/championships, managing team formations). It took me 4 different memory cards (for all of my tournaments, and database conflicts) ... but now things are smooth as silk!
I can sit around and play my World Cup Final Phase (including the acurate team rosters for all teams from W.C.Final Phase 2002). I created Senegal, and all of its players (+ uniforms, etc...). I updated Holland, and added missing players to other national squads.
Don't get me wrong. I am plenty angry at the database organizational problems I encountered (tell me which programmer I can yell at *hmph*). But, what the heck. It gave me something to problem-solve! And the end result is: Football Playing Bliss!
I have developed everything I want. For the record: FIFA 2003 doesn't even have a creation center and is not able to edit players, neither! FIFA 2002 is my adored game of choice for Football. (I also have "This is Football 2002", "FIFA 2003" and "Red Card 2002". I have played "Pro Evolution Soccer 2" on PS1 several times, I don't like it).
From the reviews listed here, I've noticed that many people (who DIDN'T like fifa 2002) complained that the game is too easy. My suggestion to them is : Alter the difficulty in the options menus!!! That's what the options are for! Make the referee strict! Play in the hardest mode! Damn. do it!
Someone complained that the players are too small, and seem too far away. Answer: Change the camera! If you play with the ACTION camera, the players are close, and the action seems real (the faces of the players are even quite clear). Personally, I always play with the TV camera. That is my favorite (I gues it helps to have a 30 inch TV screen, as well).
That's my 2 cents worth.
I think this game rules!
I agree with almost everyone (in these reviews) that gave fifa 2002 4 or 5 stars.