Profile for S. Jeffery > Reviews

S. Jeffery (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
DK Eyewitness Pocket Map and Guide: Copenhagen
DK Eyewitness Pocket Map and Guide: Copenhagen
by Dorling Kindersley ( DK CHU BAN SHE )
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a long weekend, 19 Aug 2014
Tiny, tiny book that will fit in a pocket or handbag and has a fold out map. Covers the essential "must sees" in the city and is ideal for a weekend trip.

Wallpaper* City Guide Copenhagen 2014
Wallpaper* City Guide Copenhagen 2014
by Wallpaper*
Price: 5.21

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't cover the basics so use as an addition to a more down to earth guide book, 19 Aug 2014
One of those aspirational books that feels like a list of where you ought to go if only you were cool and rich enough. Its interesting as an addition to another guidebook but you couldn't rely on it as your only guide to Copenhagen. It misses out all of the tourist stuff and focuses only on anything design led- for example an Arne Jacobsen designed petrol station 20km outside the city!

Sri Lanka (Bradt Travel Guides)
Sri Lanka (Bradt Travel Guides)
by Royston Ellis
Price: 12.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but feels outdated- like a guide to colonial Sri Lanka, 19 Aug 2014
There aren't a huge number of guides to Sri Lanka and this one had pictures which swung it. Its a good basic guide however despite being updated in 2014 it feels as though as the writer is still living in colonial Sri Lanka and a bit out of touch with the modern country, For example advising ladies to pack a cocktail dress in case of a last minute invite to a cocktail party and suggesting men could "have a safari suit made locally" for such an occasion. I don't usually like Lonely Planet guides but on this occasion Lonely PLanet was far more comprehensive and relevant

Joseph Joseph Chop 2 Pot Plus Chopping Board, Small - Red
Joseph Joseph Chop 2 Pot Plus Chopping Board, Small - Red
Price: 14.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever chopping board that keeps my kitchen clean!, 4 Jan 2012
Ive had my folding chopping board for a couple of years now and it is still going strong. The folding sides mean no more burning my fingers trying to extract bits from the hob before they catch light and allows you to pour easily into a pan. The surface is hardwearing and retains its colour. Most importantly its thin and stacks away easily in the cupboard. The only down point is that it is best to store it under something, if you use it a lot it can try and stay bent if you're not careful.

I once met one of the 2 brothers Joseph who are behind all the Joseph Joseph designs and he lived round the corner from me in SW London. The only relevance of me adding this is because it shows they are like me and understand the need and desire for practical, good value, attractive kitchenware that has the added benefit of not taking up too much space. All JJ products are always conscious of space issues which makes me return to them again and again.

Joseph Joseph Adjustable Spaghetti Measure - Grey/Green
Joseph Joseph Adjustable Spaghetti Measure - Grey/Green
Price: 8.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and makes measuring easy, 4 Jan 2012
At first glance this seems like one of those kitchen gadgets that the shop/manufacturer tries to persuade you you can't live without but is actually a bit of a swizz. After all, how hard can it be to measure spaghetti? Well, quite hard it seems judging by my attempts. January 2012 and the annual diet comments and this is the best way that I have found to properly measure out a portion (other than weighing it but spaghetti is hard to fit on scales!) It also looks good which, although not a necessity, is a nice bonus. I guess there probably are cheaper alternatives but I liked this one and don't regret buying it.

Joseph Joseph Nest 8 Food Preparation Bowl Set, Multi-Colour
Joseph Joseph Nest 8 Food Preparation Bowl Set, Multi-Colour

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful and very useful, 4 Jan 2012
I bought these bowls on a whim because they were pretty. I had intended buying one big bowl but left Amazon with a stack! I don't regret the purchase at all as the bowls stay firm on the table when mixing, stack neatly and look great. I understand the comment someone made about one bowl being v large and other quite small and nothing in between (the others are all collanders, sieves etc) but it wouldn't be enough to put me off them.

Don't Marry Too Soon
Don't Marry Too Soon
Price: 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Song!, 4 Jan 2012
I heard this song in the background during season 2 of Treme and used Shazam to identify it. I had never heard of Jewel King before and there is little of her music available on Amazon but I was so pleased to be able to download this track as a single. Reminiscent of a bluesy Ella its worth the 69ish pay and has made it onto my top 25 played tracks on itunes.

One Imperfect Christmas
One Imperfect Christmas
Price: 8.57

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy but not necessarily uplifting seasonal read, 4 Jan 2012
I chose this book as I thought it would be a good easy read over Christmas but should probably have paid more attention to the prefix "IM" added to "perfect Christmas"!! A story of family upheaval, fracturing of relationships, grief and trauma, it is well written but not particularly cosy.

Set in America, it is a good depiction of suburban American family life. I don't want to give too much away as it will tip you off regarding the ending but I did ultimately enjoy the book. It just wasn't how I had expected it to be. That is more my fault than the authors and will teach me to pay more attention before downloading special offer Kindle books!

Yquem
Yquem
by Richard Olney
Price: 31.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A total coffee table luxury book but worth it, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: Yquem (Hardcover)
Some people have more general books on wine, or even a region like Bordeaux but such is the mythical draw of the name Yquem that it merits an entire book dedicated to the one great vineyard in Sauternes! Designed more for the wine enthusiast than someone with a casual interest in wine. Punctuated with beautiful pictures this book is a pleasure to have on your coffee table. The text is an easy read, unlike some wine books that have a rather stuffy and supercilious tone to them. Since buying the book for myself I have given a copy as a gift and received an effusive thank you note so I guess it hit the spot!

Salter Stainless Steel 1035 SSBKDR Platform Electronic Kitchen Scale
Salter Stainless Steel 1035 SSBKDR Platform Electronic Kitchen Scale
Offered by Harts Of Stur
Price: 11.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice & small and work well, 4 Jan 2012
I spent quite a lot of time researching which kitchen scales to buy, a worrying amount of time in fact! Im pleased with my final choice, however, for various reasons. They are very easy to use, they wipe clean easily, thirdly they are nice and small and pack away easily. I dont miss having a "matching" bowl or just attached to the scale to weigh with, this way I can use whatever dish/bowl/plate/cup I want to. I have now also bought a set as a gift and the recipient was equally pleased with them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4