Profile for T. Nairn > Reviews

Content by T. Nairn

T. Nairn "avid crafter" (Northamptonshire, England)

Crafting Christmas Gifts: 25 Adorable Projects Featuring Angels, Snowmen, Reindeer and Other Yuletide Favourites
by Tone Finnanger

4.0 out of 5 stars UNCOMMON DESIGNS, NICE BOOK, 28 Sept. 2009
I bought this book from Amazon after buying the Springtime version from my local craft shop. It's a good priced book for a start, not particularly thick to look at, but it certainly has a lot of designs & different variations on certain designs. You could quite easily adapt the patterns to suit yourself & change them slightly should you wish. For example, if you wanted to make one for a child, you could replace the cocktail stick nose with a fabric one etc. It's just common sense really!

The main thing I liked is that the designs are different from most christmas craft books that I have seen before. They aren't your typical Santa or Snowman, they are rather quirky.

The main thing I dislike about it, are that the fabrics required are pricey. So unless you are willing to spend alot on those fabrics you may not get the same finish. Then again, that's one of the things I enjoy about making things, seeing how they turn out using different fabrics to what's suggested.

All in all, this is a great book & I highly recommend it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2010 5:27 AM BST

Crochet for Babies and Toddlers
Crochet for Babies and Toddlers
by Betty Barnden

3.0 out of 5 stars CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS, 26 Jan. 2009
My husband bought me this book for christmas 2008. I must admit I haven't crocheted for years & have forgotten most of it. This book has very clear instructions, easy to follow & great tips. The best book I have found that clearly explains the techniques used, however....

As for the patterns, there are only a few patterns that I will probably make, as the others are too dated. The rest look like patterns from the 70's or 80's that have just been put in a newer book. I wouldn't put my children in those clothes, they are very old fashioned (ie. tractor design dungarees, tartan style cardigan & hat, polar bear jacket).

The Craft Library: Adorable Knits for Tiny Tots: 25 Stylish Designs for Babies and Toddlers - 25 Stylish Designs for Babies and Toddlers
by Zoe Mellor

3.0 out of 5 stars SIZES AREN'T CORRECT, 26 Jan. 2009
I actually have a different version of this book, but it has exactly the same patterns in it with just a different cover.

I have now made two items from this book. The first was the cardigan with love hearts all over it & frilly sleeves. I made it for my daughter who at the time was 18 months old, so I made the size to fit 1-2 years. It barely fit her when I finished & she is under the average height/chest etc for her age. Ok so I could have measured her to be sure but I didn't think this would happen. (Oh & I do knit tension squares!)

The second item I made was the star jumper. This time I made it a size too big, as my daughter was around 20 months old when I started this one, so I made the 2-3 years size. The length of the jumper was fine & so were the sleeves, but I couldn't get the neck over her head! It wouldn't even fit over a newborn I doubt! So I had to cut the neck open & add some buttons so it could be fastened instead.

My advice is, this has some lovely knits in it, quite modern, lovely photos, sturdy book with glossy pages & fairly easy to understand (I'm not a pro knitter!) but I would check before casting off that the garment will fit whoever you're making it for!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2011 8:39 AM BST