Profile for WMG > Reviews

Content by WMG

WMG

History of Tom Jones, a Foundling (Penguin Classics)
History of Tom Jones, a Foundling (Penguin Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 18 Aug. 2011
Rather than go into a long analysis of the story, characters and style of writing, I'll just say that this has always been on of my favourite novels, and to be able to get a free copy for my Kindle was a very pleasant surprise.

I'm very pleased to see that so much great literature from around the world is available on the Kindle at no charge, and hope this will encourage people to read more.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Aug. 2011
I was given my Kindle for Christmas, a gift from my partner who was beginning to think I was (not-so) covertly turning our house into a library.

To begin with, I wasn't sure how I'd get along with the device as I have the Kindle app on my iPad2 and hate trying to read on it. But, within ten minute of using my Kindle, I was 100% sold.

The device itself is light and easy to use. The buttons are a little too small for my liking, but they're certainly not so small that they're not usable - I'd never use the device to write a review, or check e-mail (as some friends do on theirs, they tell me), but to annotate a text or search the Kindle store, it's perfectly fine.

Battery life on the device is very good indeed, particularly when I remember to turn off the WiFi when I don't need it.

It's a little frustrating (though understandable) that I can't send the books I've read to my partner's Kindle too - I used to love passing a good book along to a friend or family member so we could chat about it after, but then I guess if we all did that, the writers would never make any money!

All that said, I have noticed that shopping in the Kindle store can be a bit of a mine-field. There seem to be a great many people self-publishing on the Kindle, and there doesn't seem to be much guidance as to the marketing claims people are allowed to make in relation to their own titles.

For instance, I recently read a book (I'll not be so crass as to provide the title) that claimed to be "the new Da Vinci Code". Turns out that claim was made by the author, and the book, without wanting to be too critical, "borrowed" very heavily from Dan Brown's novel.

When digital cameras came out, suddenly every other person you met claimed to be a photographer when, of course, they had little or no photographic talent - just because you have a great camera doesn't mean you're a professional photographer. I guess the same is true here - just because you can write a story and publish it on Kindle, doesn't make you a decent author. That said, I'm sure it won't be too long before we hear about great new writers who've been discovered because they published their own works on this platform.

All-in-all, I'd not want to be without my Kindle; it's a simple, intuitive and well designed device that's a pleasure to use.

Death in Winter (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Death in Winter (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but poor execution, 1 April 2011
This is the first (and probably the last) TV tie-in book I've read and, sad to say, I was unimpressed.
Although the basic storyline was reasonably good, there was no real in-depth exploration of any of the various strands and characters, beyond seemingly endless references to TV episodes, that quickly became boring to read.
The writing style is repetitive, frequently re-using words and phrases, and often within the same paragraph or page.
Given that most of the characters in this book were created by someone else, and developed during 7 years worth of TV and several films, I found it most disappointing that the author failed to write any convincing dialogue for a single one of them - surely there was enough source material?
All-in-all, I thought this was a lazily written book by a complacent writer, whose "thanks" page read like an exercise in ego polishing.