Profile for Omer Ahmad > Reviews

Planet Terror [Blu-ray]
Planet Terror [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Rose McGowan
Price: 5.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, girls, blood, guts and girls covered in blood. What more does a man need., 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Planet Terror [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This film is a laugh from beginning to end. Everyone kills someone and Jeff Fahey is only concerned about his BBQ recipe. To be honest it is a bit of a lads movie but there is a romantic angle to keep the ladies interested everything else is a zombie or a hero or a fit girl hero. Great fun.

The Police Selection Process
The Police Selection Process
by Ian Colin Hutchison
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was essential in helping me pass, 30 Sep 2007
This book is the only external resource I had to prepare for the Metropolitan Police Assessment Centre and it was essential in helping me pass. By the time I had finished with this book I was very confident I would pass the maths, verbal reasoning, and written tests. I was also confident about the interview and role plays but these are more `unseen' tests therefore I couldn't actually practice them but the book is very good at giving advice on how to deal with these. I used this book for the sole purpose of preparing for the `Day1' Assessment Centre tests. The `Day1' is the hardest part of the entire selection process and candidates have to do a lot of homework to have a chance of passing. Each chapter deals with a test subject in isolation allowing the candidate to prepare at his of her own pace. For example if maths is a particular problem, the candidate can concentrate on this section of the book and keep doing the practice tests. There is no need to read it in order. In my case the book helped me to speed up my mental arithmetic and improve my written speed and accuracy. The toughest part of the `Day1' is the role play section and obviously you cannot verbally interact with a book, nevertheless I did find the book very helpful in offering guidance on how to tackle the role plays.
I planned all of my preparation around this book. The practice tests in the book are invaluable and need to be used like an asset. I practiced all tests under exam conditions and did a lot or revision before doing any of the tests. I did a week of revision before attempting another test to see if I had improved. I am sure there are other books available that are also very good but I happened to have used this one and I recommend it.

Unbreakable (2 Disc Collectors Edition) [DVD] [2000]
Unbreakable (2 Disc Collectors Edition) [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 7.66

5.0 out of 5 stars A reluctant masterpiece, 15 May 2006
'Unbreakable' is an excellent film because it has a very specific mix of ingredients: Willis' character is reticent about his feelings and his acting is appropriately understated. Samuel Jackson plays not the overarching villain mastermind, but just another damaged character looking for answers. The soundtrack by James Newton Howard is crucial to the development of the mood for the entire film and the direction by Shyamalan is very 'Hitchcock-esque'. Shyamalan is a self confessed Hitchcock fan and movement and angles and colours help to enhance the telling of the story whilst never failing to remind the viewer of the Hitchcock influence.

This film is more than just a tale with a twist; every character in this film is damaged or missing something in his or her life and the film is as much about a quietly failing dysfunctional family as it is about the resolution of the mystery. If it is 'Die Hard II meets 'Signs' you want then this is not for you, neither is it like any other Shyamalan movie. Accusations by those that find this film tedious, slow, boring is analogous to saying "'Rocky' is only about boxing". This film could have won awards if it had a plot based on the social malaise similar to that of 'American Beauty' and Willis and Jackson have proved they have the acting skills to make a match for any of those highbrow films that take themselves so seriously.

Napoleon Dynamite [DVD]
Napoleon Dynamite [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Heder
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Dynamite Comedy, 22 July 2005
This review is from: Napoleon Dynamite [DVD] (DVD)
I found this film very funny, I was often laughing out loud but I realize that much of the humour is quite oblique and cannot be considered mainstream. I find quirky behaviour funny and in this film it is very cleverly worked out.
If you want to sit back be over-run with Martin Lawrence type humour this is not for you. This film will hopefully remind you of old school days and show you exactly how funny things were, but at the time seemed so very serious to adolescent teenagers at the time.
This film is a classic but it is not middle of the road comedy, you will either fall in love with it or you will pretend to chuckle along wondering why you are wasting and evening. I hope you find it as funny and clever as I did.

Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 3 [DVD]
Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lee Bergere
Offered by alentertainment
Price: 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The storylines made Star Trek great, 4 July 2005
The stories were engaging and politically relevant then and now, unfortunately today we live in a society where there is less dissention through televised fiction. Star Trek addressed real issues from the 60's, they talked about racism, sexism, diminishing workforce through automation taking over people's jobs and social inequity, the subject of communal euthanasia was also broached as was the topic of inter-racial relationships. Star Trek prides itself on showing the first inter-racial kiss on TV and William Shatner describes how he bungled this scene repeatedly so he could kiss Nichelle Nicholls again.
They sometimes reviewed our own species as barbaric and unjust. It is in our nature to build empires and then suffer bloody revolutions and Star Trek often depicted the freedom fighter struggling against oppression on some distant world, and by doing so waving an accusing finger at many of the global problems we create on our own world.
Kirk may have rushed in where fools fear to tread but Shatner has explained the Kirk never sought vengeance and was compassionate, which indeed he was. Kirk often made unfashionable choices by today's standards when he chose to spare the enemy or find a solution that was a forced compromise, but which meant life went on. Star Trek was a wonderful phenomenon that died before its time, and for me as a child it provided awe and wonder and for me as an adult Star Trek shows that beyond the swashbuckling heroics it had very interesting and pertinent stories.

Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 [DVD]
Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Shatner

5.0 out of 5 stars I am not a geek but I love Sar Trek, 2 Dec 2004
Liking the original Star Trek epsodes isn't a really a debatable issue. You either love Star Trek or you can't stand it. I was raised on re-runs of the original show and still prefer it to all sci-fi since.
Once your brain adjusts beyond the low budget effects and props you enter a world full of strange concepts and characters, tainted with the 60s concept of political correctness. The trinity of Kirk, Spock and Bones is the fulcrum of everything Star Trek. As you watch the series you notice the relationships of the actors grow and the roles develop. The is even one episode when Bones addressess the audiance directly, but you will need to buy the blue box set to see that.
One day when I have kids, I will make them watch every epsode (with me).

MCSA/MCSE: Exam 70-210: Windows 2000 Professional Study Guide (MCSE study guide)
by Lisa Donald

2.0 out of 5 stars Only for those looking for the most basic introduction., 20 Nov 2001
This book is very basic in terms of explanations and exercises. The approach is far too simplistic and so fails to achieve its primary goal, that being the preparation of the reader for the exam 210. The authors spend too much time waffling outside the relevant issues; they seemed more concerned about displaying their knowledge of trivial details rather then concentrating on the exam requirements and not satisfied with this they spend pages repeating themselves, for example chapter 6 'Managing Users' has tables describing all the auditing options, which was sufficient but they go on to repeat all this information in prose too, this happens several times. At the end of each chapter there is a summary of what the reader should have learned towards exam preparation, but I was left wondering why the corresponding chapter made little or no mention of these objectives in detail or outline.
The further I read the more worried I am with regards to my exam preparation, I am starting to feel that I have not really addressed the main exam topics, this was proved correct by trying Transcender exams which seemed to demand an entirely different knowledge base to what the Sybex book offers. I have an MCSE in NT4 and have used Exam Cram and Syngress books. This series seems by far the least satisfactory, Exam Cram does what it says on the cover, prepares you for the exam and no more. The Syngress books are much more thorough and are excellent if you can spare the time. This is my first and last experience with Sybex, there is plenty of material here and it is clearly written and presented, especially for the absolute complete beginner, but severely lacking in content. If you are moving into Microsoft networking with little past experience then this book will be helpful, but to anyone else ought to stay clear of this publication. I chose this book because I wanted something between Exam Cram and Syngress, but got something far short of either. If you have tried a book that works for you then do not venture here, it will probably be for the worse, (take it from a soon to be failed Win2k examinee.....joke (hope)).