Profile for beruska > Reviews

Content by beruska

beruska

Laurus Nobilis (Bay Tree) 1/2 Standards (pair of) with Plaited Stems PAIR OFFER SAVE 30
Offered by TOP TOPIARY LTD
Price: 99.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, 3 Jun 2013
Somehow I did not expect to get trees that were that great (by post!), but they are really beautiful and healthy! Very happy with my purchase.

Teach Yourself Choosing the Right Wine
Teach Yourself Choosing the Right Wine
by Beverley Blanning

5.0 out of 5 stars Choosing wine, 5 April 2009
this is a fantastic book. Unless you know all there is to know about wine, this book is for you. It takes you through tasting and identifying wine to how to pick a bottle in a shop based on the label.
definitely recommended.

Leiths Cookery Bible
Leiths Cookery Bible
by Prue Leith
Price: 17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST BOOK EVER, 5 April 2009
This review is from: Leiths Cookery Bible (Hardcover)
Without a doubt, this is THE best cook book ever. This comes from someone who collects cook books and does like photos- not many of those there, but it is just so helpful. Everything you need to know is there. It is incredibly detailed and covers basics as well as super sophisticated and stylish dinner party treats.
I also have to say, if you are serious about cooking you should probably purchase the techniques bible. It does have more info you'll ever need, but it covers all trouble shooting and so much more.

Breville Antony Worrall Thompson MG1 Meat Grinder
Breville Antony Worrall Thompson MG1 Meat Grinder
Offered by Bright Sparks Store
Price: 77.17

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you Thompson, 20 Sep 2008
I bought this item thinking I made the right choice...
I will just not bother next time. This is an awful machine. It hardly worked at all. I put fairly finely chopped beef in and the whole thing was just falling apart. We even tried minced meat as a joke and it still had issues.
I am so disappointed with this purchase. Buying the wrong size skirt would not make me feel as bad. This machine is just a joke and if I were a famous chef, I would think twice before putting my name on this piece of junk.......
It looks nice, but as you know, looks can be very deceiving.
The machine is already in the bin, just not worth the hassle...... well, nothing happens anyway, no matter how hard you try.

Beowulf - 1 Disc Edition [2007] [DVD]
Beowulf - 1 Disc Edition [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Winstone
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.72

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 24 May 2008
Do NOT buy this film before watching it.

They had the source material for a fantastic movie here, but what we got was a firework-show of special effects with no backbone whatsoever. There are some fun/interesting moments, but the script and plot are an embarrassment to the film industry.

'Mindless fun' is the best compliment I could give this film.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2009 9:00 PM BST

Pride & Prejudice - 2005 [DVD]
Pride & Prejudice - 2005 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 3.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Worryingly poor, 28 Aug 2007
Anyone who praises this film ought to check which version they're reviewing. It was clearly intended to replace the BBC dramatisation as the 'definitive' adaptation through a modern budget and by staying closer to Jane Austen's storyline.

Unfortunately the misinterpretation of the characters, particular the two leads, may prevent the film from appealing to those who have read the book. Incredibly poor performances from Keira Knightley (no surprises there) and Matthew MacFadyen destroy any chances this film might have had for me.

It's sad that the British film industry can get so starstruck that it doesn't bother casting people with genuine acting ability. Watch this film, but please don't buy it!

Paradise Lost + Bonus DVD
Paradise Lost + Bonus DVD
Offered by actionrecords
Price: 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 3 July 2007
There's no real need to go into detail - the other reviewers have pretty much covered it.

I'm just nearing the end of my first listen-through as I write this, and I'm already completely convinced by this album. The crisp production adds something of a colder and fiercer sound to the usual Symphony X style. The music is also slightly faster and more aggressive than previous efforts, but the signature chunky riffs and epic choruses are still present throughout.

A great metal record. Get it!

Ancient Wars: Sparta (PC DVD)
Ancient Wars: Sparta (PC DVD)
Offered by rockaway-records
Price: 14.90

5.0 out of 5 stars No worries if you have a high-spec PC, 31 May 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Having read the other reviews of this game I am quite surprised. There seem to be two main complaints:

1. bugs & crashes (vista compatibility)

2. no tutorials

The game often encounters an error when you quit, but other than that it has run beautifully on my pc. I have all the sliders turned right up (the environments and effects are exceptionally good) and I've experienced no bugs or crashes. I am running Windows Vista on a pretty top spec computer, and it may be that the game only works well on a high-spec pc.

As for the lack tutorials I also found this slightly irritating. I was more frustrated with the AI difficulty though. Although the campaign is fairly straightforward and the learning curve is not too steep, I tried to play a random skirmish against the computer on Easy setting. It was really difficult! I am more used to straightforward WAR RTSs like Dawn Of War, and it took me a long time to survive an 'easy' skirmish.

Do not be put off this game by the other reviews, especially if you have a really fast pc. The gameplay is great, the graphics and animations are way above average. The environments in particular are the best I have ever seen (including Mark of Chaos, Medieval TW2 and Supreme Commander). Finally I felt the game was superbly put together, with good storylines and great historical context. I think the game is superb and shows huge potential for a whole series of 'Ancient Wars' games.

Definitely give the game a go - it is brilliant. [..]

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC DVD)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely one of the best ever, 3 April 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
There's no need to go into too much detail since plenty of other reviewers have already done so, but if you haven't yet played this game, then do so as soon as possible. It is absolutely fantastic.

Oblivion is incredibly well designed, providing accessibility for complete newcomers as well as satisfying the purist RPGer. The choices are almost endless.

Amazing.