Profile for Nemo James - Singer Songwriter > Reviews

Content by Nemo James - S...

Nemo James - Singer Songwriter (Croatia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but instantly forgettably, 19 May 2011
My wife read this book and I have never known her get so absorbed to the point where her life was put on hold. She didn't like that feeling so refused to read the second book in the series. I read it straight after her also got completely hooked. Although I really enjoyed reading it I was aware it was not well written and I was constantly irritated at how the writer went into detail about what the character had for breakfast. Two weeks after reading it I had forgotten nearly everything about it. I don't usually read thrillers so maybe I was expecting too much from it.

Bridge Over The Drina
Bridge Over The Drina
by Ivo Andric

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, not sure about the translation, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Bridge Over The Drina (Paperback)
I loved this book written by the Nobel Prize winner Ivo Andri'. It is amazing how often we come into contact with historic monuments without giving a second thought as to the history behind it. Apart from being a fascinating histroy lesson and an extraordinary collection of stories for me this book was also a study in human nature. The building of a bridge which was of unquestionable benefit to everyone was however sabotaged by some who were prepared to sacrifice their lives rather than let it be completed for no other logical reason than they didn't like change. I would have to say though there is one chapter in the book that is definitely not for the squeamish.

My only reservation is I found a lot of grammatical mistakes and the English a little hard to follow at times and I don't know whether it was down to the translation or the style of writing. My wife (who is Croatian and had read the original) felt the same and pointed out where she thought some of the confusion may have arisen. Non of this detracted from my enjoyment of this book and I would recommend it to anyone.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2014 8:31 AM BST

The Double Comfort Safari Club: 11 (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
The Double Comfort Safari Club: 11 (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as always, 19 May 2011
I have read all the Ladies No.1 detective agency series and love every one of them. The author has the rare gift of writing something very simply and yet often profound. "People never do the right thing anymore. They decided what is best for them and call that the right thing," Mma Ramotswe said in one of the earlier books. The originality of the concept, the humour and the rose coloured look at life in a land where people still behave decently combine to make all the books in this series a joy to read. The characterisation can't be faulted and I refuse to watch the television programs based on these books because I don't want to lose the colourful characters I have in my mind.

I have been fortunate enough to go on safari to Botswana and can concur that the Batswana must be some of the warmest and kindest people in the world which for me makes The Ladies No.1 Detective series all the more vibrant.

Pass the Bomb
Pass the Bomb

2.0 out of 5 stars Overated, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Pass the Bomb (Toy)
The most annoying thing about this game was the instructions which appeared to have been written by someone from Planet Zorko. Apart from making no sense as English the rules made no sense either so we had to make some up some of your own to make the game work. It was fun for a while but the 4 of us got bored quickly and it has been in the box ever since. Bear in mind if you are playing this game outside you will have to consider your neighours as even the ticking from the clock can be quite loud quite apart from people screaming when the bomb goes off.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2013 9:28 AM GMT

Red Dog
Red Dog
by Louis de Bernieres

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable but may be just for dog lovers, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Red Dog (Paperback)
I am not sure whether you need to be a dog lover to appreciate this book but I am and I really enjoyed this book. It is very amusing and Red Dog's ability to cause a bus evacuated with one rear end emission will strike a chord with those of us who have suffered the same fate in our cars. This is apparently a true story about the most famous dog in Australia. It is a very small book part of which contains pictures so I am not sure it is good value for money but if you've got a few bob and like dogs I would definitely recommend it.

44 Scotland Street
44 Scotland Street
by Alexander McCall Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Very dissapointing, 18 May 2011
This review is from: 44 Scotland Street (Paperback)
Being totally hooked on The Ladies No 1 detective agency series I bought this assuming that it contained the same wonderful style of writing. It didn't and I was only a quarter of the way through the book when I had to abandon it I was so bored. In my opinion Alexander McCall Smith is a wonderful writer but for me this book had none of the qualities that make me enjoy reading him so much.

LG DP450 Portable DVD Player with 7-inch Screen and 3 Hours Battery Life
LG DP450 Portable DVD Player with 7-inch Screen and 3 Hours Battery Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well and simple to use, 18 May 2011
I bought this for my 81 years old mother during a stay in hospital and she loved it. She had no trouble learning how to use it which is a first and she was the envy of her ward. The only problem was she likes to watch cookery programs which tended to clash with the hospital food.

Hot Slippers in Lilac
Hot Slippers in Lilac

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't just sit there. Buy a pair now, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Hot Slippers in Lilac
You know what it's like, once your feet get cold it takes forever for them to warm up and it feels horrible. Stick these in the microwave for 2 minutes and once you have put them on it is like you have been transported to heaven on a cloud of lavender. They are difficult to walk on though. Being a lazy bugger I didn't bother to take them off sometimes (only for a few minutes) until one day I found it put a strain on the upper part of my foot (technically known as the upperpartus) and it hurt for a few days so beware!. I now limit myself to the lavatory and back and that seems to be OK. They are fantastic but if you live with someone you will need to buy two pairs otherwise you will be permanently fighting over who gets to wear them.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars doesn't work with slide phones, 18 May 2011
This was sold to me as being compatible with my Nokia Navigator slide phone. It does work but the phone can't be used while this is plugged in because the slide won't open. Apart from that it just doesn't fit very well and I don't use it because I am afraid I might knock it and the tiny jack plug will break off inside the phone. Maybe some people may find it useful but I have found it a waste of time. It just doesn't feel right.

What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography
What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography
by Alan Sugar

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 18 May 2011
I have the greatest of respect for Alan Sugar and am addicted to "The Apprentice" although next to Attila the Hun he is probably the last person I would have liked to work for. I enjoyed this book although I don't think it's going to win any awards for literature. I love his no nonsense, cut through the crap personality although there is no doubt that so does Mr Sugar. I found the bits about football went on a bit but have no doubt that anyone interested in football will enjoy reading about his exploits with Tottenham Hotspurs and dubious financial dealings that go on behind the scenes. If you are looking for any depth then this book is not for you but if you are interested in business and are planning to become a millionaire yourself I would definitely recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5