Profile for S. Roberts > Reviews

Whirlpool W10135699 Affresh 3-Pack Washer Cleaner - Quantity 1
Whirlpool W10135699 Affresh 3-Pack Washer Cleaner - Quantity 1
Offered by WowDiscounts

5.0 out of 5 stars These work, 27 Oct. 2011
I bought this product initially to get rid of the nasty smell and specks of black gunk in my washing machine, that bleach and running a hot wash every so often didn't manage to clear. If anything they made things worse. I live in a hard water area and I think the combination of using a liquid detergent and limescale was causing build-up.

At that point I bought a 3 pack with the cleaning cloths. I used all 3 tablets, one after another on 95 degree washes. It worked! I now use them at least once a month. They claim to be less harmful to the environment than bleach. Having had a look around the internet to see what generally caused problems with mould, I also now use a bio detergent powder (having been dedicatedly non-bio before) and don't wash anything on a short cycle as apparently the fact that washing machines are cutting down on water use means shorter washes have fewer rinses and therefore residue can build up.

Wigs on the Green
Wigs on the Green
by Nancy Mitford

3.0 out of 5 stars A 'curiosity', 9 May 2010
This review is from: Wigs on the Green (Paperback)
I'm hugely fond of Nancy Mitford's later books, she was witty and observant and they are great comfort reads. All of them have dated and are very much of their time, but this one suffers particularly from it's pre-war timing and I think her decision not to republish it in her lifetime was correct.

The problem is not only that a comedy about Fascists is a still thoroughly wince-worthy these days, it's also that her characters aren't particulalry developed and are therefore not very sympathetic. It reads like what it is, the early immature writing of good social novelist. I read it out of curiosity, and I think that's what its appeal is limited to. If I'd picked it up at a friends and hadn't paid for it, I'd have found it moderately amusing. As something I shelled out hard cash for, it feels a bit like a waste of time and money.

The Brightest Star in the Sky
The Brightest Star in the Sky
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyed this, 16 Jan. 2010
I very much like Marian Keyes, she writes way beyond the scope of most chick lit and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty with uncomfortable subjects while maintaining a light touch - no easy juggling act to maintain. Particularly as her novels are ultimately feelgood, without being trite. I also respect that she doesn't just churn out the same story in the same way again and again - but plays around with structure.

I also liked this book a lot, and had to force myself to put it down and go to sleep last night. I wonder, from some of the negative reviews, whether there are two camps of Marian Keyes fans - a 'We love Marian's Walsh family books' and a 'We really prefer the non-Walsh variety'. I fall into the later camp, the Walsh family ones are perfectly nice and do again tackle some thorny issues but somehow I find them a bit cosy, however I adore Last Chance Saloon, This Charming Man, and now The Brightest Star in the Sky.

Singled Out
Singled Out
by Trisha Ashley

3.0 out of 5 stars The Urge To Jump reworked?, 1 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Singled Out (Paperback)
I liked Trisha Ashley's previous novels, 'The Urge to Jump' and 'Every Woman for Herself' very much, though didn't greatly care for 'Good Husband Material'. She has enough of a dark streak to strip some of the sugar off the romantic novel genre without completely ruining it.
This novel is perfectly enjoyable, has some wildly funny moments, and is probably fine, if you haven't read one of the earlier ones (I would recommend 'Every Woman for Herself' in particular), but it is a bit of a disappointment. I felt that she had reworked The Urge to Jump (again a novelist heroine, this time a horror writer) to rather less effect.
I'm not sure who I'd compare Tricia Ashley to, she has her own skewed voice. But I also like Isla Dewar, Kate Atkinson, Kate Fenton & Sparkle Hayter, to give a random selection. If your random selction coincides (or even differs wildly), I'd say she's well worth a look. I'm not sure I'd start here though.