Profile for Mike Lawson > Reviews

Dvd ~ Charlie Creed-Miles
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 10.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a worthwhile film to buy and watch, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: Wild Bill [DVD] (DVD)
Others, in their reviews, have told the story line. So I don't need to repeat it.

I give this film 4 stars rather than 5 because I think that, in real life, the father would probably have been bumped off by the heartless gangsters. That apart, I could believe in all the characters and there were some genuinely moving moments in the film. It was very well written and fantastically well acted. Whilst watching the film, I was completely drawn into the terrible circumstances that these people live in. If I had grown up from childhood in that environment, I'm sure I could never have escaped. Maybe I wouldn't even have survived. The story and characters stayed with me long after I had finished watching the film.

If you like gripping films with believable-in characters and a believable storyline I would definitely recommend this film.

The Angels' Share (Uncut Version) [Blu-ray]
The Angels' Share (Uncut Version) [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Roger Allam
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____
Price: 6.20

4.0 out of 5 stars The Angels' Share - (DVD), 19 Dec 2012
Such a refreshing change to watch a film about people in whom you can believe and which is free from all the Hollywood explosions and frenetic action or, at the other extreme, out to manipulate your feelings by being overly sentimentalised and melodramatic. Many of the actors in the film are not professionals and the star of the film (on his own admission in his interview in the DVD extras) has a very similar rough and criminal background to the character he plays in the film. The reason I give it 4 stars rather than 5 is because the second half of the film seemed to branch off at a tangent from the very moving and almost documentary style of the first half. Perhaps not the best film which Ken Loach has directed, but still very good indeed and well worth watching.