Profile for Mike Wolf > Reviews

Content by Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf (Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom)

Driver San Francisco: PlayStation 3 Essentials (PS3)
Driver San Francisco: PlayStation 3 Essentials (PS3)
Offered by funfair games

2.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes things go too far., 22 Oct 2013
My initial experiences of this game were so bad that it put me off playing any further. Upon starting it up, I was pestered for an online code; as I had no intention of playing anything other than the singleplayer, and my copy was second-hand in any case, I said I didn't have one. Then I said I didn't want to buy one. I got stuck in a loop for a while with it laboriously loading up some awful uPlay interface before it finally conceded to letting me reach the main menu. At this point it then requested my Facebook (which I don't even have) and Twitter credentials, presumably so it could automatically post updates that would interest literally no-one.

By then I was already pretty exasperated, and I'd not even been able to start the game. When I did so, throughout the intro and tutorial section the camera lingered lovingly on in-game advertising, often for longer than it did on the actual game events. I didn't get much further than that, because I was sick of having marketing shoved in my face rather than being able to focus on the game. Maybe it gets better later, but I don't really care -- when I've bought something, I don't expect the thing I've bought to immediately ask me to promote it, and then try and sell me other things.

Dark Souls Game Guide
Dark Souls Game Guide

1.0 out of 5 stars Copy-pasted from a freely available wiki, 25 Mar 2012
As far as I can tell, this book consists exclusively of content taken directly from [...] and can be freely accessed there. Although the ebook is cheaply priced there is no reason to pay even a small sum for it; as the wiki is constantly updated, information will be added as discovered by players and thus it has more use.

It seems this has been created to cash in on the lack of easy availability of the Official Guide - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Souls-The-Official-Guide/dp/3869930489/ - and violates the Creative Commons license for the wiki, which prohibits commercial use; as this ebook is, as far as I am aware, not mentioned on the wiki, I can only assume that it is not endorsed by them and they may not even be aware of its existence.