Profile for Richard tilbury > Reviews

Content by Richard tilbury

Richard tilbury (London, UK)

Federations
Federations
Price: 4.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and varied selection of interesting and beguiling tales, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Federations (Kindle Edition)
Good anthology of hard sci-fi authors. excellent selection and I don't think any of the stories contained were remotely duds!

The Forgotten Kingdom
The Forgotten Kingdom
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of gems, 15 Aug 2013
I bought this on a whim, loving the works of the husband and wife team Jordi Savall and (the sadly late) Monserrat Figueras. The Song of the Sybil (in Occitan) is my favourite so far and it is interesting to hear spoken recitals of texts from the period - these are in French and Latin. Easy recommendation.

The Song of the Sibyl
The Song of the Sibyl
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing piece of music, 2 Jan 2013
The Song of the Sibyl is a hidden gem. Although banned by the Catholic Church, the tradition of singing the piece continued in the vernacular across Spain. This is one of the best versions.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2014 7:01 PM BST

A Winged Victory For The Sullen
A Winged Victory For The Sullen
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A great work., 18 Nov 2012
I think this is going to be a long term favourite for me. A brilliant album. I'm not sure where to place it, but it stands up there against Cinematic Orchestra, Harold Budd, David Sylvian (ambient work). I look forward to more!

The Garden of Priapus: Sexuality and Aggression in Roman Humor
The Garden of Priapus: Sexuality and Aggression in Roman Humor
by Amy Richlin
Price: 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting read., 12 Dec 2000
I found this book very interesting and thought provoking, especially after having seen photos and documentaries on some of the erotic material discovered at Pompeii and other Roman sites. My only problem was perhaps that some of the translations from Latin into American slang do not travel well for those of us who don't speak American English. However, I don't think that Amy Richlin can be blamed for attempting to make the translations come alive for her audience. I would recommend this book to anyone investigating gender and the issues of sexuality from a historical perspective.