Profile for manxseasider > Reviews

Content by manxseasider

manxseasider (Isle of Man)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
10 Premium Capacitive Stylus iPad iPhone Nexus Tablet Kindle Fire Digital Pen
10 Premium Capacitive Stylus iPad iPhone Nexus Tablet Kindle Fire Digital Pen
Offered by MK Malls

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound enough product that, although cheap, does the job adequately., 9 May 2015
Exceptionally reasonably priced item at around £2 for the pack of ten, including postage. I now have one in most of my jackets and the stylus pad works a treat on all my touch-screen devices. As I'm 50 plus (age) I hadn't grown up with digits permanantly glued to a mobile device and find these pens so much more convenient than clumsy thumbs and fingers.

Took a while to arrive but the estimated delivery date did indicate that possibility. When they arrived I was astonished to see they appeared to have been shipped direct from China (£2 inc postage!) which then made me suspicious that I was colluding with some kind of exploited cheap labour market. However, apart from those ethical concerns, a sound enough product that, although cheap, does the job adequately.

Betron B750s Earphones Headphones, High Definition, in-ear, Tangle Free, Noise Isolating , HEAVY DEEP BASS for iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia, HTC, Nexus, BlackBerry etc (Black)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, reasonably-priced product, with added 'tangle-free' feature., 18 April 2015
Bought these to replace a lost pair of earphones I use when gardening or listening to music privately from Amazon Cloud on my Kindle.

I have found them to be superior to the lost earphones (which admittedly were £3-4 cheaper) with a rich warm reproduction and comfortable to use.

I wasn't expecting much of the 'tangle-free' claim (a persistent problem with cables of these type of headphones I find), but have been pleasantly surprised to find that the flat design of the cable on these earphones is so far definitely an improvement on previous versions I have owned.

Overall , a good reasonably-priced product. I am sure there are higher spec, more expensive products out there, but for my purposes these have so far (had them 2 weeks) proved fine.

Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found
Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting account of one woman's 'wilderness trip' to find herself., 28 Mar. 2015
Interesting account of one woman's 'wilderness trip' to find herself. I personally enjoyed this book, but can see how anyone not particularly interested in either long-distance walks or family memoir may not wish to bother with it.
The author describes in a honest way both the rigours of such a trail adventure and the journey in her life that brought her to the position of undertaking this venture.
I have walked some short British path's such as Hadrian's Wall (but not wild camped- too old for that now) so found her account of the discipline involved in the PCT interesting, as well as the psychological aspect of her journey to reconciliation with her mother's early death.

Poison Study (The Chronicles of Ixia - Book 1)
Poison Study (The Chronicles of Ixia - Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining; well-formed characters and a fascinating plot., 1 Mar. 2015
Really enjoyed this book, despite it being a genre (magic/fantasy) which I haven't delved into for many years (Moorcock and Lord of Rings in the 70's would be my most recent previously).

I found myself totally immersed in the world of the main protagonist, cheering her on from the sidelines whilst she struggled her way through all manner of adversity. The characters were well-formed and the plot fascinating.

Luckily I bought all 3 volumes in this series when they appeared in the Kindle daily deal a while back. I'll be delving into other genres for a while now before returning to Book 2, but if it is as good as this I'll look forward to that as a treat.

J Pillow, Travel Pillow - Winner of British Invention of the Year 2012/2013 (Navy)
Offered by Jensen's Inventions

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful product for longer journeys, 28 Feb. 2015
Only used this on two occasions so far (return flight M'cr-Portugal + ferry crossing to UK mainland)), but it seems an innovative variant on the usual neck pillow. Probably should have bought 2 as wife has monopolised this one. She reported the additional head support was very helpful.

Might have warranted 5 stars except the downside of the innovative design is a slightly increased bulk so it doesn't squash into quite such a compact shape as the more traditional version. Overall though, that minor disadvantage is well outstripped by the positives of the product.

Heresy
Heresy

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable mix of history and whodunnit material, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Heresy (Kindle Edition)
An enthralling mix of period drama with page-turning detective thriller material. I look forward to reading others of this author's books.

The Shock of the Fall
The Shock of the Fall

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging tale of mental ill-health, sensitively written and with many balancing moments of humour., 21 Jan. 2015
Really enjoyed this novel, which I believe reflected well the extent of impairment mental illness can bring for the sufferer, often diminishing the quality of life most of us take for granted. For me it also highlighted the anguish of family carers when faced by the challenges of a loved one suffering the impact of mental ill-health (an anguish doubled in the case of the family in this novel).
Having said all that, please don't be put off by imagining the book is all doom and gloom. It is sensitively written with much warmth and empathy towards the central character, and contains many laugh out loud moments. I liked the insights into the mental health system provided by the central character.
In fact, as a mental health professional myself, I was struck by how well researched this novel was ... only to realise in the endnotes that the author has himself been a mental health nurse.
A very impressive debut novel!

As I Recall: Memories of a Blackpool childhood
As I Recall: Memories of a Blackpool childhood

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, an entertaining read with some early laugh-out-loud moments., 30 Nov. 2014
Bought this as I spent a number of my important formative years growing up in Blackpool and am only a few years younger than the author. Really enjoyed initial chapters, with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments about the sort of capers that we got up to as kids in that era, and I think would be as entertaining for any child of the 50's, even without the Fylde connection.

However, only about a third of the book is actually "Memories of a Blackpool childhood" as the author moves into his adult life and even later autumnal years..

Egg-chasers amongst you will enjoy the numerous later tales of trips to rugby matches with the 'Jolly Boys Cultural Exchange & Beer Appreciation Society', but that didn't do much for me as personally I'm a fan of the proper football game ;-)

Despite those reservations I've still felt it deserved 4 stars as, overall, an entertaining read.

The Crane Wife
The Crane Wife

5.0 out of 5 stars A disquieting magical tale, 29 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Crane Wife (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I'm not familiar with the Japanese folk tale it is apparently loosely based around, but loved the transitions between the relationships of the central characters involved and the mythological or allegorical world running parallel.

We could probably all do with a bit more Magic in our lives!

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of familiar historical context, with an entertaining dollop of human stories in the 4 or 5 central families., 17 Nov. 2014
I'm becoming a Ken Follett fan after reading this. Plenty of familiar historical context in this account; encompassing the build-up to WW1, the rise of the Bolsheviks in the face of the brutal Tsar's regime, emergence of trade unionism and initial teetering steps towards universal suffrage, all thrown together with a healthy dollop of human interactions amongst the 4 or 5 central families.in the story.

I really enjoyed the author's 12th century romp in Pillars of the Earth, but then was disappointed in the repetitive formula in the sequel, World without End. I'm hoping the same doesn't prove to be true of the sequels in this trilogy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3