Profile for J. Tremlett > Reviews

Content by J. Tremlett

J. Tremlett (Epsom, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Apple iPad Mini / iPad Mini 2 Purple & Tan leather Wallet Smart Flip Case Cover with Magnetic Sleep Wake Sensor + Free Screen Protector
Offered by FAB2983

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 31 July 2015
These cases (I have previously bought 2 others - blue - for other people) are excellent value for money. They are well made, fit perfectly, and are nicely tactile to make the iPad more "gripable" with the added benefit of a little pocket for notes and ridges for a stand etc. They are pretty light, though they do make the iPad a little more bulky, but they also protect it very well with only some edges exposed but recessed. There is no need for the screen protector that comes in the package as long as you are careful to close the cover when you are finished. Even so the screen is more robust than you might think. There is a magnet in the case that wakes and puts the iPad to sleep when you open and close it, so as long as you hear the familiar "click" when you close the cover, there is no need to use the sleep/wake switch on the iPad. In the past I have paid more for less with iPhone/iPad covers. This one is one is a great all rounder.

The colour is exactly as shown.

Draper 72090 Dry Cell Battery Tester
Draper 72090 Dry Cell Battery Tester

2.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose., 31 July 2015
I am not that impressed with this. A battery has to be dead or near enough for it to show as needing replacement. When I have had gadgets that have shown that the battery needs to be replaced, this tester still shows them as "good". Useless.

SMALL BLACK SUEDE OTTOMAN DIAMANTE POUFFE STOOL FOLDING STORAGE BOX
SMALL BLACK SUEDE OTTOMAN DIAMANTE POUFFE STOOL FOLDING STORAGE BOX
Offered by E-Guru

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 31 July 2015
I am really happy with this. I needed a stool with storage space to stash all my leads and chargers for various electronic gadgets that I have in my living room. This is perfect. Strong enough to sit on (I have it next to my telephone table so I can sit and chat), plenty of storage space and with the added advantage of being able to fold it up and store it away. A perfect little pouffe!

Bodymould 4" Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Cover
Bodymould 4" Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Cover

1.0 out of 5 stars This can't be memory foam..., 31 July 2015
I'm sorry, but this is not memory foam as other reviews have touched upon. I have tried memory foam toppers before and they actually provide support. This is just like a large heavy lump of ordinary foam.

I bought this to ease my Fybromyalgia, but it just makes things worse. As soon as I lay on it I just sank in the middle like a hammock and had trouble turning over on to my side as it was like rolling up hill. I put up with it for 2 hours the first night before I had to remove it from the bed in disgust as I was getting back pain to add to my issues. When I removed it, I lay on an old duvet instead, which sadly provided more support and comfort. I am very disappointed with the product and description and think it is very overpriced for what it is. I am confused by the 5 star reviews. Perhaps the product has been changed.

Oh yeah, it weighs a ton and is very unwieldy. I have no idea what I am going to do with it now as to return it is expensive and it is so huge and heavy that moving it, now it is unwrapped, is very difficult.

Tea Box with 6 Compartments - Teabag Storage Case
Tea Box with 6 Compartments - Teabag Storage Case
Offered by all-around shop Preise inkl. MwSt

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap brittle plastic and poorly made. I have had ..., 21 Jan. 2015
Cheap brittle plastic and poorly made. I have had it 1 day and the hinge has already broken. It really didn't take much at all. Very disappointing after reading the other reviews. Perhaps the design has changed and I was unlucky, but as it stands this really isn't worth the money.

Manfrotto Advanced Active Camera Bag Backpack I
Manfrotto Advanced Active Camera Bag Backpack I

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks and feels good, but...., 27 April 2014
I love the look of this backpack and it is well made. It doesn't take a great deal of gear, but that is not why I bought it. I wanted it because the interior was neatly laid out and well padded, but the overall size wasn't too large and bulky. However, it lacks something rather vital in a backpack of this design and price. It is missing a waist belt. The main gear is meant to be loaded in the lower half of the backpack, so it is rather a major oversight to have no waist belt when the backpack is full, as there is nothing to relieve the weight from your shoulders. A waist belt helps to keep the bulk of the weight around your centre of gravity. It's not a problem if you don't load it with much gear, but then that defies the point of all the space and padded compartments.

The backpack does have a chest strap, which does help and, as a woman, it is useful that it is height adjustable so it doesn't squeeze or cut into certain parts of my anatomy. It's a pity that it can't be lowered to turn it into a wait belt, though.

Maybe once cameras become smaller and lighter as they are with the CSC systems, this backpack will become more useful. As it stands, despite it's good looks, I am rather disappointed. I was looking for a neater and better padded Lowepro Trekker, sadly this isn't it.

EDIT - 10/05/2014

I took the backpack on holiday to Cornwall last week and used it extensively. My point about the waist belt still stands, but I am liking the design more and more. After a weeks use, here is my list of pros and cons:

Pros
1. Well padded all round. Gear is safe inside.
2. Well made. Feels like it is built to last.
3. Lots of pockets and compartments
4. Stands up when you set it down. It doesn't fall over, even when empty.
5. Separate rain cover that is easy to put on - tried and tested in the rain - and does a good job of keeping the backpack dry.

Cons
1. A little tight fitting a DSLR in the bottom. There is not much room for other lenses etc. However a CSC kit fits very nicely with room for other lenses.
2. No waist belt!! Grrr!! This means if you have even a reasonably modest DSLR kit in the bag, it starts to pull on your shoulders after a few hours of use. Never mind if you actually fill up all the compartments available with a camera, lenses and laptop/tablet. This is a rather crucial omission and inexcusable considering the price.

In conclusion I would say this is a very nice backpack, but is really only suitable for a modest kit, especially a CSC system which is smaller and lighter than the average DSLR kit.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2015 4:07 PM GMT

Happy Pet Unstuffed Chipmunk Character Soft Dog Toy
Happy Pet Unstuffed Chipmunk Character Soft Dog Toy

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks like road kill, but is well loved, 28 Dec. 2013
I bought this as a Christmas present for my parents' (family) dog. He is chuffed with it and carries it around the house and to his bed. The only disappointing thing is that the squeaker didn't work when it was delivered, it just made a hissing sound. With hindsight, this is probably a good thing, as Rupert (the dog!) has many other squeaky toys and after a while the constant squeak drives you nuts, especially if you are trying to watch TV (or think!). I can't help feeling a little cheated, though, as as far as dog toys go, this wasn't the cheapest. On the bright side, though, it is still intact after several days of luuuuuuurve, so that is a plus.

Although the product photo showed a brown toy, the one that came was grey. Not that it matters, but just thought I would mention it.

Interestingly, when it is splayed out on the floor, it looks a little like road kill, so that is it's nickname now!

Bobble Sport Water Bottle - Lavender
Bobble Sport Water Bottle - Lavender
Offered by BestBeautyWarehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rolls Royce of Bobble bottles, 13 Dec. 2013
Bobble were one of the first, if not THE first, to introduce a filter system into a bottle. Much like the Apple iPad, though, it doesn't matter who is first, it is more important to be the first to get it right. Bobble have got it right.

I am very fussy about water filtering as the quality of water in my area is not good. At the office the water you get from the machine can sometimes appear murky or have bits in it. I have therefore had several Bobble bottles, small and large, for different functions (one for home, one for the office, one for travel etc). They have been great and the Bobble bottles have proved to be the best water filtering bottles I have tried. This model, however, is my favourite and I believe the best for most functions as the plastic of the bottle feels studier and more flexible - I reckon it would stand more applied pressure - and there is an attached but removable cap for extra safety from leaks in your bag. It is a little easier to lose the cap on the regular Bobble bottles as it isn't attached, but at least you got a new one with each filter. A cap is not only a safeguard against potential leaks, but is also useful to protect the nozzle from contamination when not in use.

In practice, though, a cap isn't really needed to prevent leaks, as long as you press the nozzle down firmly, the bottle is water-tight. I can turn it upside down and shake it vigourously and squeeze it without the cap and the nozzle remains perfectly dry. No leaks at all. Please note here, that I have gone through well over a couple of dozen of filters for the various bottles I own and it was only the very first one that I thought that leaked and that was because I found I didn't push the nozzle down fully because it was stiff. Reading other negative reviews that say the bottles leak, I would say either they aren't pushing the nozzle down fully (it can be very stiff when brand new)or the filter is faulty. I have never had a faulty filter, but that doesn't mean to say others haven't. The saving grace with these bottles is that the nozzle and filter are all-in-one and if you replace the filter, you also replace the nozzle. It is a shame that people have rejected the whole Bobble concept if they have been unlucky to get a faulty filter.

This bottle may be a little large for some functions such as travel, but the bottle is the best Bobble all rounder.

For reference and as a matter of interest, I tried the Brita Fill And Go bottle (see separate review)as I am a big fan of their filter jugs, but the bottle felt like a flawed prototype in comparision to the Bobble. Each filter only lasted a week too, whilst a Bobble filter lasts 8x as long. Brita can do much better and I hope they will do so.

BRITA Marella Cool Water Filter Jug, 2.4 L - Lavender
BRITA Marella Cool Water Filter Jug, 2.4 L - Lavender

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not as good as the Elemaris, 13 Dec. 2013
I had an earlier version of the Marella a few years back, but sadly I dropped it on a hard kitchen floor and it produced a fatal crack. I then moved on to the Brita Elemaris, which I have loved and used until recently when the meter went kaput. Having been used to a meter so I knew when to change the filter, I decided I couldn't do without it, so I bought the lavender Marella jug, attracted in particular by the colour.

The colour of this jug is quite a dark purple. I am not sure I would call it lavender. Dark lavender perhaps, but I love it nevertheless. Under the kitchen light it almost looks indigo.

I am very fussy about water filtering as the quality of drinking water isn't that good in my area. Brita jugs are always fab and the Marella is no exception. Functionally the jug is great, but the build isn't as good as the Elemaris*. Unsurprising as it is cheaper, but the Elemaris feels sturdier and feels like it will last longer - mine is still going strong after several years use despite the dead meter. The Elemaris has rubber feet on the bottom of the jug and rubber around the handle, the plastic of the jug itself also seems to be tougher, but this might just be my perception. On the plus side, though, the Marella seems slightly slimmer so it fits a little better in my fridge door, but if anyone has kids in the family, I would advise them to get the slightly sturdier Elemaris. It is worth the extra few £s. It also has a more advanced metering system and a better lid.

*Please note that my comments about the Elemaris relate to a model I bought a few years ago, so the design might have changed.

Apple iPhone 5 Pack - PURPLE Bendy Gel Case Cover Skin, G-HUB Desk-Lounger, & Screen Protector for New 2012 iPhone 5
Offered by G-Hub

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 12 Oct. 2013
I can't believe this can be sold so cheaply, it is amazing value for money.

The case is a little tight to get the phone in but it offers pretty good protection. It is made of a hard, rubbery sort of gel but it fits very well and offers a good degree of impact protection and protects the sides and back from scratches without hindering access to the buttons. The only buttons that are completely covered are the volume buttons, but they work perfectly well under the cover. The lightning connector can easily be accessed and I am happy to report that the lightning adaptor also fits unhindered.

The purple colour is lighter than in the photos, but then I have it on a white iPhone, not a black one and it is translucent so shows the silver back and Apple symbol, albeit only just. I am hoping that as the case is so tight, dust and grime won't get trapped behind the case and ruin the look. Time will tell how it will look in a few months.

I have to say that I bought this case as a cheap interim one for my iPhone 5s until a more "classy" Ringke one arrived from the USA, but I am so taken with this one, I might well keep it on the phone. It might not look that expensive, but it is still pretty good and certainly does the job and I love the colour. To top it all off you get a rather useful stand and a screen protector. The stand I have taken to work to leave on my desk. The screen protector isn't as good a quality as the Media Devil ones I usually use, but then for the price I couldn't expect it to be, so it is a nice bonus and it is always good to have a spare.

EDIT - 28/12/2013 - The Ringke case, though nicely made, proved to be too slippery in the hand and appeared to offer little impact protection, so after a couple of months I am still using this case and would still rate it highly, although I note it has gone up in price since I bought it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3