Profile for O. Milligan > Reviews

Content by O. Milligan

O. Milligan "olsten" (England)

Xbox 360 Wireless Wheel (Xbox 360)
Xbox 360 Wireless Wheel (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated review of the best wheel ever., 30 Dec. 2009
I've owned this wheel for a while now, however as the version which included Project Gotham Racing 3 is no longer available, I thought I'd move my review here and give an update.

This is what I said about the wheel the day after I bought it, 8th December 2006:

"I just got the Wireless Racing Wheel today, and am pleased to say it's fantastic - easily the best console steering wheel I've ever used. Unlike most wheels it's sturdy even without being clamped to a desk, and the pedals don't move about under your feet. One slight negative is that although the rubber wheel gives good grip, it has rubbed against my thumb and made it a bit sore. It's also really easy to setup - just pop in the disk supplied and you're off. It's a bit disappointing you have to plug into the mains to get the full Force Feedback, which kind of goes against the whole point of being wireless, but it's hardly the end of the world.

But who cares about sore thumbs and wiring? The most important thing is that it's just great fun! I hadn't played PGR3 for months, but the bundled Force Feedback version has really made it fun again. It uses your standard PGR3 save so no need to start from scratch. It's much more challenging with the wheel (especially Cone Challenges!) but also much more rewarding!

I would definitely recommend this to any racing fan, particularly in a few months when Forza Motorsport 2 comes out."

So, how is the wheel now, 3 years later?

Well, I'm pleased to say I still love it just as much as I did back on the day I bought it. Generally it will get used extensively for a couple of months, then gets put in the loft waiting for the next big racing game release. It generally gets used for anything between 30 minutes and 2 hours at a time. In all this time it has not developed one single fault (hope I've not jinxed it now!), and the feedback is just as strong as always. If I am being picky, the accelator pedal did start squeaking at one point, but that was nothing a bit of WD40 couldn't fix!

If I was forced to come up with some negatives about it, I'd have to say it is a shame they haven't found a way to fit a right analogue stick on there somewhere, as you miss out on some of the abilities you have is most racing games these days, such as being able to turn your driver's head left and right. In all honestly I really can't think of any other major problems.

The games I've enjoyed most with the wheel are:
Colin McRae Dirt & Dirt 2
Forza Motorsport 2 & 3
Race Driver Grid
Project Gotham Racing 3

I actually hate playing racing games on a pad now that I'm so used to the wheel - you just can't help but get that same feeling you did the first time you went into an arcade and played Sega Rally or Daytona USA.

I seriously could not recommend this wheel any more strongly to fans of racing games! Buy it now!

Xbox LIVE 4200 Points Card (Xbox 360)
Xbox LIVE 4200 Points Card (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars What you can buy with the card, 27 Dec. 2009
There's plenty of reviews about MS Points cards, but really how much can you say? It's a credit card size scratch card (packaged in an unnecessarily large DVD case), which gives you points to buy things from Xbox Live Marketplace. So instead of reviewing what is basically money (which I give 4/5 - very useful but hard to get hold of in large quantities ;-), I am reviewing some of the things you can buy with the points.

Live Arcade games:
These are some of my faves...

'Splosion Man
A 2D puzzle platformer, with simple but challenging gameplay. Your character has been experimented on by scientists, but it's all gone a bit pear shaped and now you need to escape from them. The twist here is, instead of jumping like in a traditional platformer, you are able to 'splode (explode) your character up to 3 times in a row to jump and bounce off surfaces. The levels get steadliy harder, and there's also a multiplayer mode with it's own unique levels requiring well-timed team play. The best thing about 'Splosion Man is the sheer charm and character of it all, which can't help but raise a smile from time to time. It's also one of those 'just one more try...' kind of games.

Trials HD
A stunt trials-bike game. The idea is simple - drive your bike from one end of the course to the other as fast as possible. It's 2D so you only control the speed of your bike and the 'lean' of the rider to navigate the many obstacles in your way. Courses start out extremely easy but get incredibly difficult towards the end of the game. Most players will find themselves frustrated at times but you will still want to play it and get past that one jump you're stuck on. Very addictive.

Shadow Complex
An old school side scrolling shooter. The game world is split into many seperate rooms, with enemies to kill, platforms to climb, and puzzles to solve, all split up with the occasional boss battle. The main appeal here though is exploration - at first your character can only access certain areas of the terrorist base, but gradually as you get new weapons and abilities you can go back and collect new items and access new areas. This game is quite expensive, but with the length of the game, and quality of graphics and gameplay, it's better than many full price retail releases.

Other Live Arcade faves:
Braid
Castle Crashers
Bionic Commando

DLC (downloadable content):
Obviously the quality of DLC varies from game to game, so I'm not reviewing individual items in full. The type of DLC I avoid are things that add almost nothing to a game (e.g. alternate costumes), or things that are already in a game (e.g. some games, mostly from EA, have DLC which allows you to unlock items that you can get during normal play, without making the effort to actually earn them).
The best DLC for me is either extra songs for music games, mission packs, multiplayer map packs, and extra car packs for racing games.
For me, the games with the best DLC are:
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Call of Duty series
Halo 3
Rock Band

Xbox Originals & Games On Demand:
These allow you to download full original Xbox and Xbox 360 games. The idea is great as some of these games are hard to get hold of, but the prices are a joke (£20 for Call of Duty 2!), and most can be found cheaper in a bargain bin or pre-owned. Plus they're all around 6 gig each so will fill your hard drive quickly.

Themes, Gamerpics & Avatar Items:
There are many fun items to download but whether they are worthwhile is up to you. Beware many items can't be previewed so search online for them first. I have downloaded a few bits but generally I recommend saving the points to buy actual game content.

Film & Music downloads:
To be honest, my internet is so slow I've never bothered to try these. Personally I wouldn't want to watch a movie through my 360 as it's so loud, and I think the prices are a bit high.

I hope this is some help about what you can actually purchase with your MS Points. Overall I'd recommend Arcade games and DLC are the best purchases, but always remember to download the Arcade demo versions first, and look for DLC reviews on sites like IGN.com before spending your points!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2010 9:51 PM BST

Inov8 Sony NP-BD1 Replacement Lithium Digital Camera Battery 600mAh 3.7v Li-ion 2 year warranty

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin - one small warning though..., 24 April 2009
I bought this to use as a spare battery for my Sony DSC-T77 digital camera, which uses a NP-BD1 battery type, just like the one advertised here.

The battery that came however is NP-BD1/NP-FD1, so I'm guessing it can be used as a replacement for either type. This in itself is not a problem.

The problem and my small warning is that an NP-FD1 battery must be slightly bigger than an NP-BD1, as when I put this in, the battery cover on my camera does not close properly, I either have to use the camera with the bottom cover open, or close it and hope that the clip to keep it closed is not strained too much.

Fortunately it does work with my camera and will only be used as a backup so this is not a major problem. Battery life is stated on my camera as approx. 2 hours which I'm happy with. I just wanted to warn any potential buyers of this issue.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2011 7:13 PM BST

Rock Band - Game Only (Xbox 360)
Rock Band - Game Only (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricing is a big issue, but still a great game..., 24 May 2008
There are already plenty of comments about pricing so I want to quickly get it out of the way that I agree that it's a rip off.

Personally I think if you want this game you should consider what instruments you may already have, e.g. I already have a Guitar Hero 3 Les Paul controller, and a Live headset which allows you to do vocals (just plug into a seperate controller). The drums would be nice but I already have 2 out of 4 instruments and will only playing on my own anyway so I'm happy with that. I may buy the drums someday if they go down in price. Therefore I only bought the game disc.

Even playing on my own as lead guitarist I found this game brilliant, as much fun as previous Guitar Hero games - to me in that sense I'm looking at it as basically a really big song pack, which is no bad thing. I think most people could get a lot of fun out of this game just doing the same thing. Unfortunately you are missing out the game's main selling point playing this way, which is why I have marked it down slightly.

For a truly amazing solo experience however, make sure you setup your guitar as player 1, then connect either a generic USB microphone or a controller with the Live headset plugged in (you DON'T need an official Rock Band microphone to do vocals) as player 2, download the Oasis song pack, and play "Don't Look Back In Anger" as both lead guitarist and lead singer - simply awesome!!!

Hopefully someday I will get the chance to play the game as it was meant to be, with all the instruments and a full band. For now though (and for anyone in a similar position to me) I would recommend Rock Band as an excellent game and well worth getting!!!

Nokia HF-300W Bluetooth Visor Car Kit
Nokia HF-300W Bluetooth Visor Car Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy in-car kit, 1 Mar. 2008
I just got this today and it's a very neat piece of kit. Essentially it's a Bluetooth headset but as a loud speaker instead. I used to have a headset but because I wear glasses it was too uncomfortable to leave on my ear all the time, and when I didn't wear it all the time, when someone called they would have given up waiting by the time I got the thing comfortable.

The HF-300 is very easy to setup, and if you have a Nokia phone (I have an N95) it works really well with the voice commands (something else I didn't find very good on other phones I've used). All you have to do is hold the call button, say the name you want to call (which is repeated back to you so you can tell if it's wrong - although it's been right everytime for me), and in a few seconds it starts dialing. The sound quality is fine and it comes with a clip to attach to the car's sun-visor and an in-car charger. It's a shame there's no mains charger included but if your phone has the same charger that will work fine as well. It supports a long list of the newer Nokia phones and I would assume it would work with any Bluetooth compatible phone.

The only drawback is that it's a little expensive, but worth it if you do a lot of driving. I bought it from Accessory Shop on the Marketplace - I ordered on Thursday night and it was delivered on Saturday morning in perfect condition, so I would definitely recommend them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2009 12:13 PM BST

Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)

2.0 out of 5 stars As a 24 year old hardcore gamer..., 18 Aug. 2007
The Wii console is simply not for me. No doubt it is fun and I can see why so many people like it, but I would say if like me you're aged between 16-30 and tend to play single-player or online multiplayer, avoid the Wii. For me there simply aren't enough games out or coming soon that appeal. Once the novelty wore off it's hardly been used.

HOWEVER, if you have friends and family who can also play with you Wii is amazing. Wii Sports is brilliant and accesible to anyone - I'm embarassed to admit my Mum and 8 year old niece beat me several times at bowling!!! Also Mario Party 8 for example is another game which I would imagine being very enjoyable with a group of people (although playing alone it got boring quite quickly).

Therefore overall I rate the Wii as 2 stars because in my opinion it does not suit a gamer like me. However without question it gets a full 5 stars for FUN.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2009 1:35 PM GMT