Profile for S. Emmett > Reviews

Content by S. Emmett

S. Emmett (North Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Grim
Grim
Price: 3.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A slow, brooding tale of terror from a prize-winning author, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Grim (Kindle Edition)
I received a copy of GRIM from the publisher for a fair and honest review. I was keen to read it as I have enjoyed many of Smith's other works. I wasn't disappointed.Grim is a tale of the supernatural and macabre, set amidst the caravan parks and amusement arcades of a typical English coastal resort, in which Russell must risk everything to save his disturbed, lonely son Isaac before insatiable powers of evil claim and consume him. A damned good read it is, though it may not go down well with the Norfolk Tourist Board.
My full review can be seen at the New York Journal of Books.

Pharaoh (Jack Howard 7)
Pharaoh (Jack Howard 7)
Price: 3.49

1.0 out of 5 stars What happened to the fast-paced novels for which Gibbins is famous?, 1 Oct 2013
What happened to the fast-paced novels for which Gibbins is famous? This is sluggish and downright boring.
The explanatory notes at the end of the novel are without doubt the best bit. Dr. Gibbins knows his stuff. It is just a shame that the title of the book is full of ancient Egyptian mystical promise. If it had been presented as a military story about the downfall of General Gordon of Khartoum it would have been more accurate. As it stands, Pharaoh is a mystery for all the wrong reasons.
You can see my full review at New York Journal of Books.
(I was provided with a free copy by the publisher for an honest review)

The Ritual
The Ritual
Price: 3.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Below expectations, 25 July 2013
This review is from: The Ritual (Kindle Edition)
I'd heard such great things about The Ritual and perhaps my expectations were too high, but it really didn't satisfy my either in plot or style.

Tread Softly (Bello)
Tread Softly (Bello)
Price: 0.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, moving, 25 July 2013
Very funny indeed, yet sad at times. It gives you a dismal picture of life in a care home without being maudlin.

Incubus
Incubus
by Ray Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars Once again, old horror is best, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Incubus (Paperback)
If only publishers would take a look at books like Incubus and realise that some of us want more than this dark 'fantasy' and other tripe. Great little book if you can get it.

Sanctus
Sanctus
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Still, better than Dan Brown, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Sanctus (Kindle Edition)
I have to admit I was disappointed. It wasn't as brilliant as I'd been led to believe but it is a reasonable read and not badly written. I would certainly give the author a second chance.

The Hangman's Daughter
The Hangman's Daughter
Price: 3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let down, 25 July 2013
I really wanted to read this when I read the blurb. At first I raced along but soon became disillusioned. It isn't dark and mysterious, bascially just a crime story set in an historical setting. Shame.

Cole & Mason Precision 505 140 mm Acrylic Mill Giftset
Cole & Mason Precision 505 140 mm Acrylic Mill Giftset
Price: 17.40

2.0 out of 5 stars They do the job -kind of, 25 July 2013
Nothing special but do the job they are designed for better than some of the pricey things I've tried over the years. having said that, the threads have just gone and the salt falls out like a snow storm.

Still with Me
Still with Me
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Still with Me (Kindle Edition)
Although there were moments when I doubted where this was going and whether I would finish it, I ended up loving the story. Some odd takes on things but let's forgive that. It is a great book, full of emotion, suffering, pleasure, sadness.

The Moonlit Mind: A Novella
The Moonlit Mind: A Novella
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This Koontz I enjoyed, 25 July 2013
I am not a huge fan of Koontz but this one I really did enjoy. Engaging characters, and better written than some of his books I've read. Well worth a go.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8