Profile for Webaholic > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Handbags and Poobags: Tales of a Soho Boxer Dog
Handbags and Poobags: Tales of a Soho Boxer Dog

1.0 out of 5 stars I must be as daft as the author, 28 May 2014
Somebody, please tell me why I am persevering with this. 70% of the way through and I can honestly say this is the most ridiculous and boring account of owning a dog ever. I thought it was going to be something like Turner and Hooch, but no, its the story of a couple with far more money than sense who take every aspect of their dogs care and welfare well beyond the realms of sanity. It just annoys me immensely that here is a dog that lives on steak, roast chicken, dog food dressed in oils and joins them down at the pub for slap up meals while there are actually humans in this country relying on foodbanks for their one square meal a day. I have decided that from now on I will stick to fiction when choosing my reading material, it's much closer to real life than this self indulgent nonsense.

Buddy step counter sports package (Pink) - includes both neck and arm/ankle strap

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 28 Dec. 2013
I looked at pedometers for weeks, toying with the idea of getting one, then deciding not to bother as I can use my phone when out walking along with the mapmywalk app. Then I saw a pedometer with a touch screen and games to make it more fun but at over £80 I really couldn't justify the expense and reviewers said the touch screen was really bad anyway which made me decide to forget that idea all together. Then I spotted a really cheap one in Asda and bought it on impulse. Spent ages setting it all up to find it didn't even work. So I ordered this one straight away. Glad I did because its really good.

It's easy to set up. You get a really good sized instruction book with it, with very clear step by step instructions on how to set it all up. Its quite unusual these days to get a manual printed on quality paper with large, clear writing and pictures in just the one language.

There is a website to go with the pedometer where you can analyse your activity to a certain extent, although you don't have to use the website - you still get all your info on the pedometer itself. The one way in which this could be improved on is if it could tell you what times of the day you were more active. Prior to buying this I used a pedometer that goes with "Active Health with Carol Vorderman" for the DS. This is able to tell you what times of the day you were most active and I do miss that provision. The other niggle I have is the cap that covers the USB plug. So you don't lose it, its attached to the main body of the pedometer with a very short piece of thick thread, so short in fact that I struggle to fit the cap back on to the USB plug, but I suppose its better than losing the cap.

There is also an app that you can use on your smartphone that gives you various information on your personal data. You can also upload photo's taken with your phone of what you have eaten during the day to a food log. It is not, however, a calorie counter, you simply say whether you thought it was a good choice (of food) or a bad choice. Personally I don't see how this is supposed to help you control your weight or your calorie intake and most of the time I don't remember to take a photo until after I've eaten but its not a necessary part of counting steps anyway.

Mine came with the ankle/arm strap. I bought it with this so that I could use the pedometer when I'm on my cycle turbo trainer indoors so I know roughly how many calories I've burned. As yet I haven't tried it out for cycling but the strap looks sturdy enough. It is certainly accurate enough when counting steps, telling you how many miles you've travelled and counting calories you've burned. I went for a walk yesterday using the pedometer, starting at zero and also took my phone with the Map My Walk App running. They came out at roughly the same. Near enough the same amount of calories burned and the same distance walked, though the Map My walk app doesn't count steps.

I have joined a couple of the groups on the activ8rlives website and they are friendly and welcoming. All in all I am pleased with the purchase and have walked over 10 miles in just a week without even trying. Its just stopped raining so I'm off out now to finish off the 1,000 or so steps I need to reach my target today and its 10.00pm in the evening, how's that for commitment.

Stirred with Love
Stirred with Love

2.0 out of 5 stars Soo slow, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Stirred with Love (Kindle Edition)
I really didn't like this book. It was boring and as someone else on here said a bit 'goody' to the extent of being a little nauseous at times. The ending was about the only thing that livened it up and even that was depressing. It was a strange style of writing, a story about two young women and yet I felt it had been written by someone probably quite old. Though I never read magazines I imagine the author would do well writing short stories for Womans Weekly or Peoples Friend. It just lacked flair and certainly couldn't be described as dynamic. The characters were about as bubbly as a glass of flat lemonade and completely lacked any kind of humour. Determined to finish it I often felt like I was wading through treacle in more ways than one. When I get the chance I read books on my phone at work as I work on reception and need to pass the time when it gets quiet, on more than one occasion I have come very close to falling asleep reading this, while the air conditioning quietly hums and the phone fails to break the silence. Not an author I would read again.

Stop Smoking (52 Brilliant Ideas)
Stop Smoking (52 Brilliant Ideas)

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoking - your choice, 9 April 2013
I love this book. I've been stopped 10 weeks now although I didn't start reading the book until 2 or 3 weeks ago. I like it because it's funny. You would never imagine something as intense as giving up smoking to be humorous but you know what? speaking as a recovering nicotine addict believe me, if you didn't laugh you would certainly cry, in fact sob into your boots on more than one occasion.

Stopping smoking is not an easy thing to accomplish, not for good anyway. I'm now on my third attempt in ooh I dunno 10 years maybe more. I've smoked for 33 years and on the whole I've never really had a problem with it, touch wood I haven't suffered, oh apart from gum disease. Yes my dentist told me back in October that if I didn't stop smoking then I would more than likely lose all my teeth to gum disease, so I thought as I don't much fancy falsies I'd better at least attempt to do the dreaded deed. I used Champix, which I personally wouldn't recommend, I've found it to be useless but that's just me.

Anyway back to the book. I haven't finished it yet, I'm just over half way through. Mine is the Kindle edition and when I spotted it (I was looking for something else) it was free. So I wasn't too distressed when I came to a few pages that had gone a little bit weird. Which is a shame as it was some kind of tabulated set up, I can't remember what for, I think it was something like listing the pro's and cons of giving up but anyway it was completely illegible. It obviously hadn't converted very well to being on a kindle because of the tabulation and the words were all over the place and made no sense. It only lasted two or three pages, but still if you'd paid the £6 odd that it is at the moment I think you might be a tad annoyed. Looking on the bright side you could always try to decipher what it says as a distraction from a particularly stubborn craving.

One author was a smoker, the other a non smoker (having never smoked as opposed to an ex smoker) and had both lost close relatives to smoking. They don't beat about the bush, they don't patronise, and they don't tell you what a wonderful thing you're doing and how you should pat yourself on the back at least half a dozen times a day. They give you facts you already knew and facts you didn't know. They give you quotes by famous people, many of whom smoked. They don't smoke any more because they died from smoking related diseases. They tell you about tobacco companies and how much money they make, they give you advice on the different kinds of Nicotine Replacement Therapy available, about what it's like to go cold turkey and they even suggest cutting down from however many down to none over a period of time as a suggested way of doing it, which shock, horror I don't think you'd ever get that kind of advice from a smoking adviser in the UK, they'd much rather you suffer.

If you're thinking of quitting, are in the process of quitting or have recently become an ex smoker (ie you don't ever smoke and don't get any cravings any more) then I'd highly recommend this book. Why for someone who has already quit? So you can sit and read it smugly in the knowledge that you've already done it and to remind yourself that you're not putting yourself through that ever again.

A Year of Doing Good: One Woman, One New Year's Resolution, 365 Good Deeds
A Year of Doing Good: One Woman, One New Year's Resolution, 365 Good Deeds

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 23 Feb. 2013
Having read Wife in the North and loved every bit of it I thought this would be just as good, as again its written in diary format which I like. However may be I shouldn't have bought a book of 'doing good' and expected it to be of interest to me. I have to say that as I am such a cynic, altruism just isn't in my dictionary and although I am only 1/3 of the way through I am kind of losing the will to live, let alone finish the book. OK so I only read this on a kindle app on my phone when I'm at work on reception between phone calls, visitors, making brews and doing the post but honestly? Reading the company newsletter is more interesting and if things get too quiet while I'm reading this I tend to find I'm starting to fall asleep.

Occasionally it makes me laugh, but that really is about it, most of the time I can't believe how much I still have left to read. As someone who finds psychology quite interesting, I've found all the research she's written about how doing good deeds makes you feel good and apparently helps people live longer all a little bit far fetched. Perhaps I'm just too much like Judith O'Reilly; one reviewer says she seems to get fed up with it all at some point down the line, well good because too be honest I'm looking forward to that bit, it will mean she's human. I may comment again if I ever get to the end of the book before I retire.

Coin Dozer
Coin Dozer

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 10 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Coin Dozer (App)
Love this game. Easy to play, requires little in the way of strategy and very addictive.. Just as well you only get 45 coins to play with at a time which last about 20 mins, a respectable amount of time to waste a couple of times a day.

The Sims 3 (Nintendo DS)
The Sims 3 (Nintendo DS)
Offered by rockaway-records

5.0 out of 5 stars Gangsters paradise, 3 Sept. 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I love this game. The only other DS game I ever got completely obsessed with was Animal Crossing, which I haven't played for ages, dread to think how many bugs will be running round my house or how many weeds I will have to pull up round the town, which is why I love Sims 3 even more. There is no need to obsess about the game when you aren't playing it because everything stays just the way you left it. If you don't feed your Sim while playing the game it will eventually collapse from hunger and be rushed away to hospital, where unlike our real hospitals it will be filled up with food and sent on it's way. However once you've turned your game off, everything stays more or less as you left it and time doesn't move on.

Call me childish but I found it absolutely hilarious when I first started playing the game and left it too long before sending the Sim to the toilet and she actually left a puddle on the floor. This is my first experience with Sims games so I have nothing to compare it with. I did once get My Sims Kingdom for the Wii, but I don't think they're the same kind of Sims, anyway I had to solve a puzzle and couldn't do it so ended up giving up on that for good. With Sims 3 there doesn't seem to be much puzzle solving which is great for someone like me because I'm very short on patience and soon get fed up with playing guessing games.

Gangster paradise? Well both my characters who share a house are crooks, I think one is a bank robber and the other some kind of gangsters moll, though she does dabble a bit herself and is almost at the top of her career, just not quite sure what her career actually is. Occasionally I'm told to send my Sim to steal some money but I've never worked out how to do this. Oh and you'll get told now and again that you have a new bill to pay. I never paid my bills as I couldn't actually find them but nothing seemed to happen as a result of not paying them, I wasn't evicted or anything. Eventually I stumbled across a mail box in my garden and it appears this is where the household bills hang out - pretty obvious when you think about it.

All in all it's a fun game. Some have complained that unlike the PC game the Sims can't have babies but to be honest I struggle coping with just a couple living together in a house with all the cooking and cleaning they need to do without adding a baby to the equation - I think that might just tip me over the edge. If you play too much it can get a bit tedious but if you want to wile away a couple of hours on a wet Sunday afternoon then this is the game for you.

Game Party - In Motion (Xbox 360)
Game Party - In Motion (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute frustrating junk, 29 Dec. 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Have just spent a very stressful couple of hours trying to play darts on this stupid game. If I was to write what I really think of it I would be banned from Amazon for life. I bought on impulse today. I will never buy a game ever again without reading the reviews first. I should have known better and may take it back for a refund. Certainly agree with every one on here don't waste your money.

Virtua Tennis 2009 (Wii)
Virtua Tennis 2009 (Wii)
Offered by zoverstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it so much I blogged about it, 14 Dec. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this just before Christmas last year and loved it. It actually kept me warm during the winter months as I got completely obsessed with it, playing about 3 hours almost every night. I agree with everyone who's said how competitive it makes you. I get really annoyed when I lose, which happens a lot more since I came out of the amateur rankings and into the pro's. I was so beside myself with excitement when I won the amateur championship that I wrote a long blog post about it on Posterous. So if you want a slightly different approach to reviewing a game along with screenshots just cut and paste the following link into your browser. [...]

The only downside I would say is despite having owned this game for 12 months I have yet to find anyone whatsoever to play online with, maybe I'm doing something wrong but there never seems to be anyone around to play with. Anyone for tennis?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2015 8:26 AM BST

Disney Th!nk Fast (Wii)
Disney Th!nk Fast (Wii)
Offered by PJL Games - All Direct Games sent same or next working day by 1st Class

3.0 out of 5 stars Always read the label!, 6 Dec. 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Read the label because I didn't, not carefully enough anyway. Wanting a good general knowledge quiz game at a cheap price, it wasn't until I got the game home that my daughter asked me why I'd got a Disney quiz game. Doh, I didn't know it was based on Disney films. I tried it out though and with my complete lack of knowledge of anything Disney themed I made educated guesses as you are given multiple choice answers to choose from.

It also has some observational questions where you watch a short film and then answer questions on what you saw in the film. Not a game to play on your own, as it gets quite boring and the comments from the genie can get repetative. For multiplayers you each get your own unique buzzer to buz in with your answer and I would think that makes it more fun to play. Probably suits quite a wide age range for children, though the general knowledge questions are pretty obvious to anyone older than say 5 years old. All in all its probably quite a fun family game, and would be great for childrens parties to quieten things down a bit. For me personally though a bit of a disappointment.

Page: 1 | 2