Profile for C. Kay > Reviews

Content by C. Kay

C. Kay (Birkenhead, Merseyside United Kingdom)

Humax Freeview playback Digital TV Recorder PVR-9150T 160GB Twin Tuner PVR
Humax Freeview playback Digital TV Recorder PVR-9150T 160GB Twin Tuner PVR

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't turn off at socket., 31 Mar 2010
Pretty pleased with this recorder. Originally purchased a Hitachi from Argos which broke down after 2 days. We have had this now for about 2 months and (touch wood) it's been fine. The only down side we have found is that when we turned the player off, we lost all recorded programmes, but other than that it's been great.

Standing in the Shadows of Motown [DVD] [2003]
Standing in the Shadows of Motown [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Joe Hunter
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Ever Motown Film, 3 Dec 2003
I bought this on import from Amazon.com. If you never buy anything else on Motown, BUY THIS. For too long these musicians, who were the backbone of Motown's incredible rise to the top of the music tree, have been overlooked. Allan Slutsky deserves a medal and our undying gratitude for his film which remembers some of the greatest musicians who have ever lived. Most of these were seasoned musicians before they came to Motown & it is they, not the artists who created what we today call the Motown Sound. Allan has created a piece of history for us and has given reconition to many who had previously been overlooked by earlier authors. There are parts of this film that brought tears to my eyes, joyful tears. Listen to Jack Ashord work that tambourine as he did on Grapevine, marvel at Pistol Allen & Uriel Jones as they give the backbeat to the music, but most of all, enjoy the film as it takes you back to those wonderful days in the sixties when Motown ruled the world.

Essential Collection - The Undisputed Truth
Essential Collection - The Undisputed Truth
Price: 5.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Both guises of this under-rated group, 6 April 2002
The Undisputed Truth Essential Collection boasts some 20 tracks, but 14 of these ("You Got The Love I Need" / "You Make Your Own Heaven & Hell Right Here On Earth" / "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" / "Girl You're Alright" / "Mama I Got A Brand New Thing" / "Law Of The Land" / "I'm A Fool For You" / "Spaced Out" / "Higher Than High" / "Save My Love For A Rainy Day" / "Smiling Faces Sometimes" / "What It Is" / "Help Yourself" / "UFO's") appeared on the 1995 CD compilation of this group "Motown Milestones - Best Of The Undisputed Truth". The remaining 6 appear on CD for the first time, "Lil Red Riding Hood" & "Got To Get My Hands On Some Lovin" (from 1975's "Cosmic Truth"), "Let's Go Back To Day One" & "Gonna Keep On Tryin' Till I Win Your Love" (from "Down To Earth" (1975)), "Boogie Bump Boogie" (from "Higher Than High" (1972)) and "What's Going On" (from "Face To Face With The Truth (1972)). It does omit the U.K. single "Superstar", which did appear on Milestones, but other than that it's a very good compilation covering both incarnations of the Truth from the early Joe Harris, Billie Calvin & Brenda Evans line-up to the later Harris, Tyrone Berkeley, Tyrone Douglas, Calvin Stevens & Virginia McDonald one. This CD is recommended. It carries nearly all their hits, plus some good album tracks. It's a good history of the group in their Motown days.

Price: 5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Post Smokey Miracles - a nice change, 6 April 2002
This review is from: Essential Collection (Audio CD)
It’s nice to see a Miracles’ Collection from the post-Smokey era with Billy Griffin on vocals. This is also an 18 track production, described as “City Of Angels” album plus extras. It does include 9 tracks from their 1975 album (“Ain’t Nobody Straight In L.A.” / “Love Machine” / “City Of Angels” / “Free Press” / “Night Life” / “My Name Is Michael” / “Poor Charlotte” / “Waldo Roderick DeHammersmith” / “SMOG”), but does not include track 1 on the album “Overture”. “Do It Baby”, “Give Me Just Another Day” & “Don’t Cha Love It” have appeared on CD previously. The remainder of the tracks are a bit of a hodgepodge coming from the 1973 “Renaissance” album (“Don’t Let It End” / “What Is A Good Heart For” (which for some strange reason reappears on the 1974 album “Do It Baby”)), 1975 “Power Of Music” (“Love To Make Love” / “You Need A Miracle”), and the 1975 U.S. only album “Don’t Cha Love It” (“Gemini” / “Take It All”). The “Don’t Cha Love It” album was eventually released in the U.K. in 1976 as “Love Machine” with one change of track, that being “Love Machine” replacing “Got Me Going Again”. The disappointment for me is the missing U.K. only single “Where Are You Going To My Love” from 1975, but other than that it’s not a bad set. Of the 18 tracks, 13 appear on CD for the first time.

Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Motown's most overlooked group, 6 April 2002
This review is from: Essential Collection (Audio CD)
The Originals Collection contains 18 tracks, 9 of which appeared on the U.S. CD release of a couple of years back, “The Very Best Of The Originals” (“Baby I’m For Real” / “You’re The One” / “The Bells” / “I’ll Wait For You” / “I’m Someone Who Cares” / “We Can Make It Baby” / “God Bless Whoever Sent You” / “Good Lovin’ Is Just A Dime Away”). 3 other tracks have appeared on CD before, “Don’t Stop Now” from the 1970 “Portrait Of The Originals” album, was on the Tamla Motown Connoisseurs album of 2001, and “We’ve Got A Way Out Love” & “I’ve Never Begged Before” from the 1969 album “Green Grow The Lilacs” (aka “Baby I’m For Real”) which was re-released on CD in the mid-80s. Of the 6 remaining tracks, 2 come from the 1972 U.S. only album “Def.I.Ni.Tions” (“Lie # 2” / “Come Rain Or Shine”), 2 from “California Sunset” issued in 1975 (“It Could Never Happen” / “Don’t Turn The Lights Off”), and 1 from the U.S. only release “Naturally Together” (“The Only Time You Love Me”). Again missing as usual are “Green Grow The Lilacs”, the Leadbelly composed “Goodnight Irene”, “Down To Love Town” and “Call On Your Six-Million Dollar Man” (scheduled for released as a single, but never issued). Duplicates somewhat previous releases, but still good value at the price.

The Collection
The Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of Eddie's best on budget CD, 6 April 2002
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
The Eddie Kendricks Essential Collection (Spectrum 5446262) also contains 18 tracks, none that have been previously unreleased. “Can I” / “Keep On Truckin’” / “Boogie Down” / “He’s A Friend” / “This Used To Be The Home Of Johnnie Mae” all appeared on the Kendricks’ Ultimate Collection CD which came out at the same time as David Ruffin’s. “Happy” has previously appeared on the CDs “Sound Of Young America - 1975” and “Best Of The Temptations - One By One” and originally comes from 1975 album “The Hit Man”. Of the 12 tracks appearing on CD for the first time “The Hit Man” album also provides “I’ve Got To Be” & “Body Talk”, the latter also appearing on the 1988 album “Motown Rare Grooves”. The “He’s A Friend” album of 1976 provides us with another 6 tracks “Chains” / “Never Gonna Leave Me” / “I Won’t Take No” / “On My Way Home” / “A Part Of Me” / “The Sweeter You Treat Her”. “Skeleton In Your Closet” & “The Newness Is Gone” come from the 1976 album “Goin Up In Smoke” and “Just Memories” (“People Hold On (1972)) and “Honey Brown” (“Boogie Down” (1974)) make up the set. As these are U.K. orientated CDs, I’m surprised to see Eddie’s U.K. singles “Girl You Need A Change Of Mind”, “Shoeshine Boy”, “Goin’ Up In Smoke”, “If Anyone Can”, “Son Of Sagittarius”, and “If You Let Me” all missing, although the first four all appear on the Ultimate Collection. The last two though have never appeared on CD. This is another great release from Spectrum at an irresistable price

Price: 5.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money from the brilliant David, 6 April 2002
This review is from: Essential Collection (Audio CD)
David Ruffin Collection (Spectrum 1597302) contains 18 tracks, 7 of which appeared on the Ultimate Collection CD of September 1998: “Everything’s Coming Up Love” / “My Whole World Ended” / “No Matter Where” / “On & Off” / “Rode By The Place” / “The Double Cross” / “I’ve Lost Everything I’ve Ever Loved“. The other 11 tracks have not appeared on CD before and include one previously unreleased track called “Dinah“. “What You Gave Me” / “I Let Love Slip Away” / “The Letter” / “I Don’t Know Why I Love You” all appeared on the 1969 album “Doing His Thing” (UK Title: “Feelin’ Good“). “The Roving Kind” & “I’m Just A Mortal Man” appeared on the self titled 1973 album “David Ruffin”. “I Can’t Stop The Rain” & “Questions” appeared on the 1977 album “In My Stride” and “We’ll Have A Good Thing Going On” (from “My Whole World Ended” (1969)) and “Discover Me” (from “Everything’s Comin’ Up Love” (1976)) complete this set. Of Ruffin’s U.K. singles “Walk Away From Love”, “Heavy Love” & “You’re My Peace Of Mind” are all missing, through all 3 have appeared on CD before. Also missing is his U.K. single “Take Me Clear From Here” which has not appeared on CD before. “Discover Me”, in my opinion a brilliant track, on CD for the first time makes this one well worth the outlay.