Profile for John Winfield > Reviews

John Winfield

Donizetti: Lucia di Lammermoor
Donizetti: Lucia di Lammermoor

5.0 out of 5 stars then I like really it, 6 Nov. 2015
This is a somewhat old fashioned interpretation of Grand Opera, given tempi, etc., but oh what voices! Okay, with Dame Joan there is some mastication of the words, but when you can hit high E's in alt, in such abandon, who carers? The rest of the cast is sublime, with Pavarotti being superb & totally in fach, before he moved to heavier Verdi roles, etc. Sherill Milnes is absolutely stunning & Nicolia Ghiaurov is majestic. Also, it is virtually complete, including the Ravenswood Scene or as Pavarotti sings Ravenswhoood! Okay, then I like really it! Try it you won't be disappointed.

The Art of Eating Well
The Art of Eating Well
by Melissa Hemsley

4.0 out of 5 stars offers very good recipes, many with a twist, 20 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Art of Eating Well (Hardcover)
The book, in general, offers very good recipes, many with a twist, especially the much hyped cauliflower mash. However, & the main reason I am writing this, is can I suggest please only use one cauliflower unless you have a very, large pan where you can spread the cauliflower out. I followed the recipe & basically the top layer didn't cook, so I took it out & put in a wok, which I covered. Hence, using one cauliflower should do the trick. I made this to go with the shepard's pie, which I made with beef (cottage), only using 200 mls of stock (a cube in fact) & it was absolutely delicious, as was the mash incidentally!! (One cauliflower was more than enough to top the pie.)

Don Carlo
Don Carlo

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand opera at it's best, 28 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Don Carlo (Audio CD)
Stunning! Boris Christoff is truley magnificent as Fillipo. Buy it!!

Bellini: I Puritani
Bellini: I Puritani

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 6 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Bellini: I Puritani (Audio CD)
I adore this opera, & have many recodings, including Sutherland, conducted, as here, by her husband Richard Bonynge. The whole cast here is excellent, especially the bass, who really acts the part. "Suono la tromba" is just thrilling - listen for those trombones pumping away!! The tenor is everything you would want him to be in a Bellini opera, including hitting an E (flat or natural) in alt, in the last act! Real showmanship. Mariella Devia is wonderful as Elvira, tender, loving, distracted, whatever the part requires - and with a full voice, but like her Arturo, well able to negotiate the strataspheres, while making sense of it all. Wonderful. Buy it, if you love this opera as I do.

Exsultate Jubilate / Su Le Sponde Del Tebro
Exsultate Jubilate / Su Le Sponde Del Tebro
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Judith Blegen, 18 Jun. 2011
I was entranced from the beginning to the end of this disc. The Scarlatti item was particularly sublime. Highly recommended.

The Very Best of: Montserrat Caballe
The Very Best of: Montserrat Caballe
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Monteserrat Cabelle, 18 Jun. 2011
This double album is absolutely superb, buy it without any hesitation. I was in heaven for the 150+ minutes duration. The Aida, Don Carlo & Il Pirata arias are particularly magnificent. Oh, yes & buy it for your friends as well!

Verdi: Requiem
Verdi: Requiem

3.0 out of 5 stars Verdi Requiem, 18 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Verdi: Requiem (Audio CD)
I bought this recording some years ago, and have seen several fairly mediocre reviews, primarliy it seems because, as another reviewer suggests, it was hastily convened following a failed opera project by the same team (I wonder what it was?). However, the recording is not that bad & lets be honest, to hear this cast with Abbado conducting today, we would give our high teeth! Overall though, despite some lovely singing from all solists, it does come across as rather anonymous. Worth hearing none the less.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2011 10:17 AM BST