Profile for Jean Genie > Reviews

Wild Child [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emma Roberts
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 19 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Wild Child [DVD] (DVD)
The worst kind of schlock. Foul language, foul messages. Not the kind of stuff we should be buying for our 12 year olds - or for anyone else. Be warned.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2012 1:18 PM GMT

Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008]
Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrific, 27 Nov. 2008
This is probably the worst movie I have ever seen. I know, I know - it is meant to be funny, ironic, tongue-in-cheek, feel-good etc etc etc. Believe me, if it had been any of those things I wouldn't be writing this review. It is utterly, utterly bad. If you are someone who thinks they won't like it, trust your instincts - you won't. Zero stars.

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing: Traitor to the Nation: Vol  1 The Pox Party
The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing: Traitor to the Nation: Vol 1 The Pox Party
by M. T. Anderson

4.0 out of 5 stars Hugely original and inventive, 17 Jun. 2008
This is a wonderful book that works best if you know nothing about it beforehand - so don't read the long review already posted which gives away the whole plot!

The reader is plopped into the story in a state of confusion - is this a fantasy? Historical? Are we supposed to understand what is going on? Gradually we get our bearings and the panorama is revealed to us. All of this is done quite masterfully and the reader is hooked throughout.

The only reason for taking a star away is that there is a long and boring section made up of letters sent by a relatively minor character. Letters are always a risky way of telling a story and it does not quite work here. You can skip over it though as the gist of this section can be gleaned in one page (apologies to the author!). After this section, however, the story gets rollicking again and all is well.

I would highly recommend this unusual and riveting book to anyone who is remotely interested in history. It is supposed to be a 'teen' read but I'd say it works for adults and for kids from about the age of 14 upwards. My 16 year old enjoyed it, but it would be far too difficult for my younger children.

Two Caravans
Two Caravans
by Marina Lewycka

3.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous .... and disappointing., 13 April 2008
This review is from: Two Caravans (Paperback)
This book is worth buying for the first half, with its wonderful characters, insights into the world of immigrant labourers in the UK, revelations about modern farming practices and wonderful humour. Lots of fun and well worth the price of the book. So ... the first half, I liked.

The last third or so of the book, however, focuses on a tedious love story between the two least interesting characters. I found myself skipping pages and not caring what happened to them. Narrative drive? Zero. And Ms Lewycka's editor should be shot for not telling her to rework this last part of the book.

Still, I would buy it again and I feel able to recommend it, because while it is going well, it hums along beautifully. Very original, very fresh. Give it a go.

The Good Schools Guide 2008 2008
The Good Schools Guide 2008 2008
by unknown

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I've found, 14 Mar. 2008
I've looked at lots of school guides and they were all a waste of time because the information was written by the schools themselves and their marketing departments had made sure they all sounded great. I had no idea that there was an independent source of information like this. I can't believe the schools let them do this, but as a parent I can just say it has been incredibly useful. There are a few schools it doesn't cover which is annoying, but otherwise five stars definitly.

The Dangerous Book for Boys
The Dangerous Book for Boys
by Conn Iggulden

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever concept, but not that special, 8 Dec. 2006
I bought this for my teenage son who is interested in history etc, but he thought it a comoplete bore. My ten year old was interested, as was my husband. So would be a good choice for a 10-12 year old, or for someone over the age of 35. But definitely not anyone in between.