Profile for Kaz and the chicks > Reviews

Content by Kaz and the chicks

Kaz and the chicks

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Across Eternity
Across Eternity

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly beautiful, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Across Eternity (Kindle Edition)
I found this book heart wrenching,breathtaking and beautifully written. It is sensitive without being slushy and the written and underlying unwritten emotions of the two main characters, Logan and Amber were so real I just couldn't put this story down and kept reading till I'd finished it. I desperately wanted them to have a happy ever after ending, I would love there to be a sequel to read more about their 'next lives'.
I've got a whole libraries worth of real books I've collected over many years, Kindle ebooks I usually delete once I've read them but this book 'Across Eternity' is definitely an ebook I will keep and probably read several times again.I would highly recommend this book.

Three Girls and a Baby
Three Girls and a Baby

4.0 out of 5 stars A feel-good chick read, 1 Dec. 2013
A bit predictable but all the same a nice story. Good to read if you want a light, fluffy story that passes some spare time without stretching your brain!

Great British Bake Off: Everyday: Over 100 Foolproof Bakes
Great British Bake Off: Everyday: Over 100 Foolproof Bakes
by Linda Collister

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Bake off best, 10 Sept. 2013
Yet another book in the Bake off series which like the previous ones, impresses with every recipe. This book is laid out well with everyday type recipes then 'weekend' sections for items which either take longer to prepare or bake. The Apple and Oat Muffins are delicious and disappeared swiftly after baking! They're perhaps slightly heavier than traditional muffins, maybe due to the addition of oats but never the less they're a winner.
Roasted Apples with Butterscotch Sauce were also well received after a mid week meal, very easy to do - I served them without the Vanilla Sables mentioned in the recipe as I didn't have time to make them as well so would try that another time to see what dimension that adds. Nice to see a couple of Soda Bread recipes with different favouring, the Crunchy Bacon version makes a filling accompaniment to a bowl of home made soup.
Would recommend this book, well laid out, various tips scattered through out. Perhaps the only downside is not everything has a photo but that's usually only if it's a different flavour or version to something you'd probably already what it should look like.

iGadgitz Brown 'Guardian Tri-view' PU Leather Case Cover for Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" Display Wi-fi 16GB 32GB Tablet. With Sleep/Wake Function.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed, fantastic price!, 5 Sept. 2013
In my opinion this case is absolutely brilliant and I really can't sing it's praise enough! I was lucky to have my Kindle Fire hd bought as a gift for me when they first came out late 2012 and have been seriously looking for a cover for it since the beginning of 2013.
I've researched many, both online and whenever I found them in shops and really couldn't find many that I was impressed with. I ordered a case from another online company which also had a separate Bluetooth keyboard but the keyboard didn't work as it should of done and the case looked cheap.
That meant looking for a replacement which is how I've come to order this Guardian tri-view from iGadgets. The delivery was very swift, in fact it arrived before the online dispatch guidance date! The case is very well made, securely stitched and the design has certainly been well researched by them. In the 'landscape'position it is light and stable enough to hold in one hand while typing with the other and because of the case design, it is slanted at a comfortable position. The Kindle is securely held in place by the case section which goes over the screen velcroed behind it to the inner part of the rest of the case. ALL the ports and controls are accessible while the Kindle is in the case, either when it's being used or closed away - there's really no need to take the Kindle out of the case at all once it's fitted into it.
I use my Kindle Fire hd as a tablet, not just as an e reader and I use it several times a day, this lovely case does exactly what I needed it to!

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel

5.0 out of 5 stars stick with it!, 5 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Hardcover)
I had the 2nd book in the trilogy, Bring up the bodies bought for me as a present, and while each can be read as 'stand alone' books I thought I'd order Wolf Hall and so start at the beginning.
Having never read any of Hilary's other books I was unfamiliar with her style of writing and found it somewhat hard going over the first couple of chapters, yet I'm an avid reader!
I persevered because knowing absolutely nothing about Thomas Cromwell I was interested to learn something about him - in the end I found it hard to put the book down and couldn't wait to get through it to then continue to the 2nd book!!
If you don't know anything about Thomas Cromwell read this book because it gives an insight into the political and religious machinations of that era. If you know something about Henry VIII, then read this because you'll perhaps get a different slant on how he was possibly a pawn and manipulated for others advancements.
All in all, well worth reading and highly recommend, hope it's not too long before Hilary Mantel comes up with the 3rd and final book in this series.

The Female Few: Spitfire Heroines
The Female Few: Spitfire Heroines

5.0 out of 5 stars The brave ones, 24 April 2013
A brilliant read!Gives an insight into what had to go on 'back home' in order to supply planes for the front line war effort. These women quietly got on and did what they felt was necessary at a time of national crisis, some of them losing loved ones or paying the ultimate sacrifice with their own lives. All of these pilots stand out as self less examples of woman hood achieving something worthwhile and meaningful unlike our modern age of fame and instant celebrity just for marrying an overrated pop or sports star.

The Estate - A View from Chatsworth
The Estate - A View from Chatsworth
by The Duchess of Devonshire

5.0 out of 5 stars good photos included, 31 May 2012
Having received a book about the First Lady of Chatsworth, Bess of Hardwick as a present I wanted a book about Chatsworth House so I could learn a bit more about this great house. I picked this one because it is written by the now Dowager Duchess,Deborah Devonshire nee Mitford and it doesnt dissappoint.The Duchess details the various departments of the Chatsworth Trust that maintain and run the house and estate,with memories of times when it was mainly manual work upto the 1980s when a large amount of modern machinery was used.
The format of the book means you can dip in and out with chapters that interest you or read through from cover to cover.It also includes a Devonshire family tree showing the direct lineage and lovely photos of various parts of the estate and exterior shots of the house itself.
An added bonus when my book arrived was finding it had been signed by the author-the(now Dowager)Duchess of Devonshire.

Dexam Non-Stick 12 Cup Madeleine Pan
Dexam Non-Stick 12 Cup Madeleine Pan
Offered by Harts Of Stur

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 31 May 2012
Very sturdy baking tin,I imagine it will last years.It arrived the day after I'd placed the order and I made my first ever batch of Madeleines that afternoon which were declared 'yummy' by the rest of the family!The cakes turned out of the tin with no sticking after baking and it was easy to hand wash afterwards-in the product guidlines it does actually state it can be put in a dishwasher but I don't think I'll risk possible damage to the non stick coating. I've got several Madeleine recipes in different books but used the one out of the Hairy Bikers current book 'Big Book of Baking'(also purchased on Amazon!)but instead of flavouring with vanilla extract I used orange oil extract and finely zested orange rind DELICIOUS!!

Two Greedy Italians
Two Greedy Italians
by Antonio Carluccio & Gennaro Contaldo

5.0 out of 5 stars get me to the kitchen quick!, 24 May 2012
This review is from: Two Greedy Italians (Hardcover)
Having watched their recent BBC2 series 'Two Greedy Italians-Still Hungry' I checked Amazon to find out what books were available from these authors. Decided on this publication as it was from their first joint venture a few years ago.The book is nicely laid out,delicious recipes with many using every day,easy ingredients.Lovely photographs of the appetising food and the recipes are interspersed with paragraphs about the authors views of Italy and Italian food from when they lived there as children.Would highly recommend this book.

Georgian & Regency Houses Explained (England's Living History)
Georgian & Regency Houses Explained (England's Living History)
by Trevor Yorke

5.0 out of 5 stars clear and concise reference book, 25 Jan. 2012
Faced with the choice of several reference books on Georgian architecture I picked this as you could look at it via the 'preview'button so I knew roughly what to expect. It's a handy small size so it can be tucked in a bag or large pocket if you like getting out and about looking at various buildings. There's a huge amount of photos with many done as detailed close-ups and I found it good they are all back and white so your eye is not detracted by colour. The author takes individual components such as doors, windows, roofs etc and talks in detail about them but also goes through the compositon and architectural decor of various rooms.I puchased it specifically as a reference book to decorate my Georgian style dolls house but it's a must-have for anyone generally interested in architecture.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3