Profile for J. Lamb > Reviews

Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Memory
Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Memory
Offered by Mihatsch-Trading inkl. 19% Mwst und Rechnung

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 22 Jun. 2012
Bought two lots of these for a HP Proliant Microserver 7 months. The server is on 24/7 and have not had a single BSD or glitch at all. Fast, highly reliable and possible the best price on the market. Would thoroughly recommend.

Fire Strike 7/9
Fire Strike 7/9
by Paul Grahame

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Fire Strike 7/9 (Hardcover)
I was reluctant to start reading this book as I haven't quite finished another book I'm reading and I don't like having two on the go at once. I'll just read the first chapter I said to myself....big mistake, couldn't put it down!

Very humble guy writing his story from his first hand experience as a JTAC in Afghan. Gripping, well thought out, not padded and thoroughly enjoyable.

Don't be put off by any of the lower reviews about this book, they have been written by other JTAC's that will pick every shred of this book apart (I'm a pilot and when I get flown around by other pilots I always pick apart the way they fly...human nature). I can understand their point, but for the average Joe Bloggs reading this book it is absolutely entertaining with the correct amount of detail.

If you want a good, easy read I would definitely recommend. 5/5, well done to the author.

TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT Connections
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT Connections
Offered by BESTBUYIT

2.0 out of 5 stars Started out so well...but rapidly became unreliable., 14 Jan. 2012
I previously had the W8960N router which had to be sent back due to a fault and also incompatibility with what I needed it for (even though it said it was compatible). I then decided to go for this router and was initially quite surprised as the signal strength was definitely better than the W8960N. I have an HP microserver and was very impressed at how I plugged this router in, it immediately setup my Sky connection and my server instantly found it and was able to communicate through the uPnP. BRILLIANT!

Then a month later it all started to go wrong. The uPnP started to become very intermittent, as did the wireless signal. I would find myself with 1 bar or wireless signal and then eventually 4 on reboot, but it never really got up to full strength unless I put my laptop right next to it. The connection to the exchange was good and the line never really dropped, but I would find that when I reset the router to correct the wireless signal problem or uPnP problem, it started taking longer and longer to connect to the exchange, eventually not connecting at all. Other times it would connect but there would be no internet connection. Very strange and only fixed by turning it off for long periods of time.

I'm now at the point where uPnP stops working at least every 12 hours which means I am unable to access my server, if I reset the router to correct this I would say there's only a 20% chance at best that it will connect back to the exchange (I'm overseas at the moment so if I do this remotely and it doesn't connect back, then I cannot access my home network at all). There is definitely something wrong and I will be sending it back as soon as I return to the UK, which is a shame as it's a good priced router and has relatively good features....I'm not sure about the reliability though.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2012 11:51 AM GMT

TP-LINK TD-W8960N 300 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT Connections
TP-LINK TD-W8960N 300 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT Connections

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Overall, 18 Oct. 2011
I have experience with many router, and unfortunately I would say this is one of the worst. I know everybody raves about the signal strength/range, but I think this is because people are replacing their default BT/Sky routers which are also very poor, so in comparison this router would seem quite good. I have a lot of wireless activity in my street and hence the signal range is always poor no matter what channel is selected. I was always going to be disappointed as when I first plugged in the router the wireless signal showed 2 bars....and my laptop was right next to it :o Shame as I had high hopes. Even on the best channel with the least interference I only got 4 bars in the room next door (plasterboard walls).

Other problems as well, I have a server and this router doesn't support upnp management control (or is doesn't work). If you forward port 80 remote web management moves to port 8080, however it just says in does this, in reality it doesn't and port 8080 is closed so you can never have remote management through the web (important for me).

Most people commented on how their download speed improved...mine dropped. I decreased the SNR to 40% to get back to my original speed, any lower and the line kept dropping. However once connected in the 2 days that I had it running the line didn't drop once, so there's a positive.

I spoke to customer services about all these issues and their recommendation was to return the router...which is what I did.

Task Force Black: The explosive true story of the SAS and the secret war in Iraq
by Mark Urban

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Feel Cheated!, 28 Jan. 2011
I agree with all of the points in the low reviews here really. Unfortunately Mark Urban failed to write a book anywhere close to it's description "the EXPLOSIVE true story of the SAS and the secret war in Iraq". The only thing explosive was the speed in which I read through this book waiting with baited breath for any action of any description, only to be bitterly disappointed when I got to the end. It really was a terribly drab read, and when I got to the last couple of chapters and realised that there was not going to be any action to speak of, I truly felt like I had been cheated.

If you're interested in the politics of this war and how the US and British special forces played a part (with very few details of raids etc.), then this book is great. If you're not, then I would suggest you read one of the many other great, dramatic, action filled books on offer about this conflict.

Duronic LS06 13.3" Premium Water Resistant Neoprene Laptop Pouch Sleeve for Notebooks upto 13.3 inch
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item At A Great Price, 4 Nov. 2010
The reason I chose this item was because of the zipped pouch, which was perfect for storing my external DVD Writer plus a few pieces of stationary. I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived that it was of good quality neoprene, thick enough to protect my laptop from bumps and scratches within my bag, and also had a relatively heavy duty zip. Very impressed and would recommend to anyone.

The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier / A Secretive Industry / The War on Terror / A True Story
by Bob Shepherd

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Overly Impressed, 27 April 2009
I can't say I was overly impressed by this book, the story line is relatively good and it's refreshing to get a true picture of what is happening on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan, and for that I gave 2 stars.

However the author is terrible and obviously thinks very highly of himself, pointed out in many aspects of the book. There are so many occasions where you think to yourself that he should really just be getting on with the job at hand and not poking his nose into everyone's business. Personally I find "know-alls" like Bob Shepherd very frustrating.

The icing on the cake for me was when he tells the story of how he conducted a "forensic investigation" in Iraq to try and find the whereabouts of an ITV crew in and around Basra. It takes a PhD to become a forensic investigator, of which skills Bob Shepherd has none. There were no finger prints taken, no DNA samples taken or anything analysed on an atomic scale, it was literally just a bumble around a few blown out 4wd's, how can he then justify himself as performing a "forensic investigation"? Surely it's just "an investigation"?

He also claims to speak colloquial Arabic. I have lived and worked in the Middle East for some 28 years and speak fluent Arabic, and I therefore think I have the right to say his Arabic is limited to Pigeon Arabic, who knows a few words at best. I don't understand the authors need to bump himself up all the time?

I could go on and on about the downside to Bob Shepherd, and these are just two instances that the author blathers on about things he doesn't really know about, the book is filled with them. On many instances I nearly put the book down for good.

Finally there's a whole ramble at the end of the book about the current state of The Circuit, something that doesn't affect everyday Joe Bloggs that make up the majority of people who will read this book, and in all honesty nearly put me to sleep. I understand the authors concerns, but have mercy on the reader!

Overall a good start, mediocre middle and a dismal ending. Unless you have lots and lots of time on your hands, I wouldn't really bother, sorry.