Profile for P. Albone > Reviews

Content by P. Albone

P. Albone "Noxy" (Bedfordshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Transformers: Dark of the Moon [DVD]
Transformers: Dark of the Moon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shia LaBeouf
Offered by The Happy Zombie

3.0 out of 5 stars Move over Michael, 3 July 2011
Being an 80's baby I grew up loving Transformers and it remains my fondest childhood memory. I liked the first film. The second wasn't great and this one is a little better but not much.

Reading other reviews people complain about the script, acting and plot. None of these worry me much because I didn't go in to expecting LeBeouf to turn out an Oscar winning performance. My gripe is the fact that too much emphasis is given to the human characters and the robots are pretty much neglected. I never used to watch Transformers as a kid to see Sam, I didn't have a Sam action figure, did one even exist? Consequently Megatron hardly does anything, neither does Starscreeam. These are great characters who could be utalised a lot better. It was nice however to see laserbeak and more of Soundwave and Shockwave was great.

As for the Autobots, Prime stars as you'd expect and Bumblebee does to an extent but Ratchet and Ironhide may as well of not been in it. All to often you have generic grey robots which is an incredible waste when you consider the width and diversty to exploit in the Transformers Universe. Imagine how amazing it would have been to have Trypticon destroying Chicago. Why not add Thundercracker and Skywarp to Starscream? Why wasn't Hotrod or Ultramagnus added?

aside from sounding like a Transformers geek the action in the film iisn't mind blowing. Its 2 and half hours long and their isn't nearly enough action to keep the running time entertaining. The last hour is billed as action packed fight off but it stagnates constantly and the Prime/Megatron fight is woeful.

Everything being said I gave it 3 stars because its worth a watch once but I won't be in a hurry to see it again for many years. I read that Michael Bay won't make any more which is a good thing as it's getting a little stale now, it's be nice to see a true fan of the franchise have a go.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2011 11:07 PM BST

The Dragon Of An Ordinary Family
The Dragon Of An Ordinary Family

5.0 out of 5 stars The drifter returns to form, 3 July 2011
Jehst is argueably the best MC to come out of the UK and after a long pause from the game he's returned with this and thank god it's nothing like Nuke Proof Suit.

The album is definitly more like Falling Down than any of his other releases with the production in a similar vein and also closer to beats from the UK scene from around that time. The best track for me is England, The beat is by Beat Butcher and it suits Jehst to the ground as he analyises life in England today.

Lyrically its a good as any Jehst album, clever word play, multi-sylapic rhymes and no words wasted. Jehst comes acrosss a little bit more bitter than he used to but I think thats part of growing old.

For fans of Falling Down and High Plains you'll love this. IF you prefered NPS then perhaps you'll be sad to hear it's a bit like past works

Psychoville - Series 2 [DVD]
Psychoville - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Pemberton

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, gripping, funny, amazing, 8 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Psychoville - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Having now watched the whole of the series I can safetly say that it is one of the best sitcoms I have ever watched, if not the best. It's so good that it's better than the original series which takes some beating.

If you haven't seen the first series then I strongly recommend that you watch that first as this series follows directly on and probably won't make much sense unless you have. If you have seen the first series then you'll know what to expect. The series follows the fates of a complex and diverse cast of charcters ranging from a librarian with mental illness, a clown with no hand, a mother/son serial killer combination, a toy store owner who doubles up as a Nazi memorabilia collector etc etc. The plot has more twists and turns than a series of Lost and will keep you guessing to the end.

The comedy is very dark in places and is similar to but probably darker than the League of Gentlemen. The parts are all played so well, to the point where you are left feeling empathy for a mother and son who must be the most grotesque double act since Barry and Paul Chuckle.

If 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps is your kind of thing then this may well not be, if you like things like Monkey Dust, Jam, The League of Gentlemen or Brasseye then this should be your cup of tea!

My only gripe with the series is that I wish I had thought of it first and written it.

Serious Games
Serious Games

3.0 out of 5 stars average, 8 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Serious Games (Audio CD)
I'll keep this short. I like Verb T and think he offers something different in an otherwise saturised market. After what must be nearly ten years in the game I was hoping for something a little more experimental than this, Serious Games is a bit too safe. Lyrically Verb T is good as usual but the production is just to wishy washy. It's squeeky clean safe beats all the way and somewhere along the way the lines get blurred and the tracks seem to fade in to each other. The problem for Verb T when the production is like this is that his voice gets lost in the monotony becuase he sounds so monotone. it's nearly 20 tracks but they all sound the same and all in all it's a bit of a let down tbh.

Goblin
Goblin

4.0 out of 5 stars mixed emotions, 5 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Goblin (Audio CD)
Tyler the Creator has created a bit of a storm in the music world, with his homophobic and religous bashing lyrics. It's this storm the whole marketing machine was aiming for and succeeded in creating. All publicity is good publisity after all. I don't honestly think that any music could offend me and this doesn't come close, the people complaining about this record obviously haven't heard Vinnie Paz before who make Tyler look like a shrinking violet.

Aside from the blatant lines to cause a reaction their is some lyrical merit here and although he isn't the best spitter some of what he has to say will make you stop and think. For me the biggest problem with the lyrics are that they often decend in to imature rants, hooks like "kill people, burn s**t, f**k school" really sound childish to me. It's hard to empathise with this when you have been out of mainstream education for over 10 years, that's not Tyler's fault but if you past your teeen years its worth noting.

The production is generally quite nice and fairly original. It's certainly not mainstream in sound and is stripped back sampling with heavy dreams and eerie effect, similar to a lot of music from the label Anticon What I really like about the beats is the basslines which don't seem to find they're way in to hip hop as much these days.

My final point is about Tyler's whole alterego concept that run's through the album like Brighton in a stick of rock. It's a really played out concept having been done by, Eminem, Kool Keith, MF DOOM, RZA etc etc. Tyler doesn't bring anything new to the idea either so it's best left alone.

To sum up it's not for everyone and I would strongly suggest listening to some tracks on youtube before buying. The sheer variation in reviews on here should be a good indication of how split opinion is. If you do go on to youtube bare in mind that Yonkers and Sandwitches are the 2 best tunes so don't be fooled in to thinking that the whole album is as good as these songs!

Heavy Metal Kings
Heavy Metal Kings

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not amazing, 28 May 2011
This review is from: Heavy Metal Kings (Audio CD)
If you have heard either artists back catalogues then you'll probably know what to expect and this album won't be much of a suprise. With this in mind if you like Season of the Assasin, Kill Devil Hills or Unholy Terror then you'll like this.

Production is handled by a variety of people and similar to Season of the Assasin, C-Lance, Muggs, Sick Nature. It's all very similar, heavy drums, various loops, some good some unimaginative. The Muggs beat is truely terrible and shows a producer way past his prime (about 13 years IMO) Ill Bill contributes a couple of cuts but none are as good as Seven from Ritual of Battle. All in all its high octane fight club music.

Lyrically we have Vinne Paz and Ill Bill in typical form. Vinnie Paz is his usual self, rapping about various ways to shoot people and this rubs off on BIll who talks even more than usual about shooting people. In a reverse of this Vinnie seems to rap more about paranoid conspiracys and how the goverment is after him which is more akin to Ill Bill. In his last few releases Vinnie Paz has tuned in to a consious style, rapping about the Vietnam war, child labour etc. All that has been left at the door with this release as it's all guns blazing. What I will say abouut Vinnie Paz is that it's probably the funniest i've heard him spit on a record if you don't mind your humor on the offensive side.

As I mentioned earlier, if you've heard previous releases from either men then you'll know what to expect, this album aounds most like a recent AOTP album with slightly better production and no filler MC's like Demoz, Doap Nixon or Des Devious. If you haven't heard much from either artist then I strongly reccomend that you go back and listen to some earlier albums and work your way up to this. Recently everyone has complained about Tyler the Creator and how offensive he is but when Vinnie Paz talks about drinking virgin blood nobody batters an eyelid. I guess this is because the familiar listener to JMT expects nothing less. If you are new to these artists I suggest looking up Jedi Mind Tricks - Violent by Design and Non Phixion - The Futute is Now. Both are underground classics and deserve 5 stars, giving this album 5 stars would only put it on par with those releases and it'll never be that good.

To me its a 7/10 album everyday of the week but as I can't give it 3 and a half ill give it the benefit of the doubt and award 4. It scratches an itch but it not an album that i'll be playing in 2, 5 and 10 years time like I do TFIN and VBD.

Nike + Sportband 2 -
Nike + Sportband 2 -
Offered by Captain Pawn UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit, 19 April 2011
This review is from: Nike + Sportband 2 - (Misc.)
This is a great little device for all types of runners. As you run it tells you, distance, speed, calories burned and time. I found setting t up stright forward and the wtach itself is easy to use and not over-complicated. When you've finished a run the device tells you your avaerage speed as well which is great when trying to beat PB's. Since I have had the watch I have found myself pushing harder so that I can beat my own times which can't be a bad thing. I ahave also tested the device over distances I know the length to and I have found it to be almost 100% accurate.

Another bonus is the Nike+ website where you can upload your runs ad compare them to your older runs and your friends. Their is a mapping device so you can create running routes simply and also check out runs that other users have created.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2012 10:10 AM BST

Nineteen Ninety Now: Parental Advisory
Nineteen Ninety Now: Parental Advisory
Offered by roundMediaUK

4.0 out of 5 stars it's the dude you love who had that line about the cruger glove......, 7 April 2011
Here you have the coming together of two era's. On the one hand you have the production of 'golden' era DITC producer Buckwild, on the other you have modern underground legend Celph Titled.

The good newws though is that the beats on offer here haven't been recently created by Buckwild like the 50 cent track but are so far unreleased tracks from the mid-ninety's era. The fact that they still sound fresh as a daisy is a testament to Buckwild's production (can you imagine Dre releasing some unheard G Funk era stuff? What a horrible thought). If you've heard Lifestyles or old OC and DITC stuff then it's sample based boom bap production, nicely looped. The samples sound a little well known now but somehow remain authentic. Cuts come courtesy of Mista Sinista and this helps keep the mid-nnety's theme.

As for Celph this is his first proper solo album, having released material with AOTP, Demi Godz and Apathy not to mention a whole string of underground acts ranging from Cunninlynguists, Lyrical Commission to Braille and everything in between. It takes a special someone to rock the Buckwild beats on offer and it just so happens that Celph happens to be that fella. He reminds me strongly of a modern day Big L, with his use of metaphors, wordplay and humor. If you know CElph TItled you'll know his obssesion with guns. But unlike Vinnie Paz, who wants to sound like a gangster, Celph raps about them in an almost cartoonish style from the view point of a comical, gun toting maniac pesona that he has moulded for himself over the years. Their is a lot of punch line rap here and I know that's not for everyone but you can't help but smile with lines like.

"and like Ben Grimm's wife, you ain't doing a thing"

At times Celph veers away from the persona he has created for himself and gets a little deeper. On one track he describes in a autobiographical style his rise to fame from a teenager growing up in the golden era to now. Another track see's Celph take shots at the fact everbody is trying to be a rapper these days. The closing tune is about time and how it carries on regardless ad is an appropritae closer to an album full of retrospect to a bygone era in Hip Hop history.

So for a review so full of praise you may ask why I have only given the album 4 stars instead of 5. The reason being that unlike a fine wine bottled at the same time as these beats were made, it just doesn't mature with age. That's not to say I won't spin this record again but having had it for a while now I don't feel in any hurry to do so in the near future.

Oneirology
Oneirology
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes a while to grow on you but boy does it grow, 2 April 2011
This review is from: Oneirology (Audio CD)
Originally I rated this album 3 stars. I played it numerous times and really didn't like it. After giving it a break for a few days I put it back on and it has grown on me with every spin. The first section of this review is my initial review, my new thoughts are at the bottom.

I am by no means a hater, I have been a fan of CL since Will Rap for food and I have felt that they have progressed with every album since but here I feel they have reached something of a plato.

The positives first: Lyrically it's as good as any CL release since Southernunderground and perhaps it's Natti's finest album in that respect, he kills every track. After his recent solo album Kno picks the mic up more often and personally that's not a bad thing as I quite like him as an MC even though he isn't the best, esp compared to Deacon and Natti. Deacon is consistant as ever.

So you may ask why the low score if it's lyrically tight? It can't be Kno's production surely? Unfortunately, for me it is. I rank Kno alongside Stoupe as my favorite two producers, his sampling and layering has always been top draw but here I just find it flat and unimaginative. Beatwise it sounds closest to Death is Silent but nowhere near as good. Gone almost completely are the trademark, pitched samples that have been in such good use through most CL releases and instead you are left with hooks that are so cheesey at times they'd make Rick Astley cringe. Don't belive me? Check out the hooks on 'Stars shine brightest.' It's as comercial a sounding in Hip Hop as you'll ever likely to find in the underground. Technically you can't vault the way Kno has handled the production, it's crisp and well put together but some how seems flat and formulaic. (how can something of such beauty leave you with complete apathy?)I don't think any of the songs on this album would have been good enough for Dirty Acres or APOS.

The good news I guess is that I still believe that CL are making music that they would want to listen too and this can only be a good thing.

I'm sure I will get a lot of thumbs down for this review because not everybody will share my opinion, certainly all of the reviews I have read thus far have been positive. So perhaps at the end of the day it comes down to CL progressing their sound beyond a point where I enjoyed it most - they're are probably fans out there who loved will rap for food but felt a piece of strange was a step too far.

Given all that I have said you could buy a lot of worse stuff than this and maybe I have judged it against previous releases and was anticipating too much.

-------

Lyrically I still agree with what I originally put. Production wise it does sound bland at first but the more you listen to it the more it all seems to make sense and it just improves with each listen. Some of the production is so well sampled and layered with great depth that it makes a Stoupe beat sound simple. I still maintain that Stars shine brightest is horribly cheesey but that aside it's a cracking album.

To listen to it sounds most like Death is Silent but the way it is put together is more like A Piece of Strange than any of the other releases. What I mean by this is that like APOS the album works best when played through in it's entirity and the whole is better than the sum of it's parts. Cunninlynguists other albums are all great but don't have that feeling about them. I don't mean that to sound like a bad point as very few Hip Hop albums achieve this but Oneirology does.

My advice to anyone buying this album is to give it a chance and keep playing it through and it will also start to make sense (if it didn't from the start) and don't go writing hasty reviews that you'll later disagree with.

The Rum Diary (Bloomsbury Classic Reads)
The Rum Diary (Bloomsbury Classic Reads)
by Hunter S. Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars Another rum and coke at the bar......., 25 Mar. 2011
It's Hunter S Thompson, but not as you know him.

The Rum Diary is quite different to other Hunter S Thompson works, Hells Angels, Fear and Loathing etc. When you consider that he was 22 when he wrote it you'll probably see why.

The book centres around Paul Kemp a New York journalist who goes to Puerto Rico in search of work and his time on the island. Like alot of Hunter S Thompson novels it's fast paced with alcohol fueled, crazy characters. You get a great sense of what San Jaun would have been like in the 60's and that makes this book a great escapist novel. HST's prose not as refined as his later works but they still remain sharp and their is no doubting who the author is when you read it, take for instance the closing passage;

"Voices rose and fell in the house next door and the raucous sound of a jukebox came from a bar down the street. Sounds of a San Jean night, drifting across the city through layers of humid air; sounds of life and movement, people getting ready and people giving up, the sound of hope and the sound of hanging on and behind them all, the quiet, deadly ticking of a thousand hungry clocks, the lonely sound of time passing in long Caribbean night.
"

This is Thompson at his best and the book is peppered with quotes like this but not as consistantly as his other works.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5