Profile for L Beck > Reviews

Content by L Beck

L Beck "Riverman" (North Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
AmazonBasics Stylus for Touchscreen Devices
AmazonBasics Stylus for Touchscreen Devices

4.0 out of 5 stars No more fingermarks all over the screen, 4 Feb. 2014
I hate not having a clean screen whether I'm using a smartphone, tablet or PC. This little device allows you to do pretty much everything your finger used to do, but without the greasy marks. The only thing it is not so good with sometimes is sliding or dragging, but generally it's a useful tool.

Adobe Reader
Adobe Reader

4.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?, 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Adobe Reader (App)
If you want read PDF files you've got to have Adobe Reader haven't you? It works, so it's good for me.

Nav for Google Maps
Nav for Google Maps

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as expected, 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Nav for Google Maps (App)
I was hoping for an accurate map system that would give me spoken directions from A to B. To begin with it persistently stated my location inaccurately, insisting I was positioned in a completely different road to the one I was in. A similar app on my smartphone pin-points my location accurately and also gives spoken navigation directions.

Marware Revolve Genuine Leather Rotating, Standing Case for Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Purple (will only fit Kindle Fire HD 8.9")

4.0 out of 5 stars Good apart from the colour!, 4 Feb. 2014
I would have given this 5 stars but I don't like the colour and I don't recall being given much choice on this aspect. Otherwise it is a good product that protects my Kindle Fire, and makes it easy to work with or reading books on it.

Trusting Doubt: A Former Evangelical Looks at Old Beliefs in a New Light
Trusting Doubt: A Former Evangelical Looks at Old Beliefs in a New Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult Subject made Easy to Understand, 9 Jan. 2014
Valerie Tarico has written lucidly about her early life as a fundamentalist Christian who began to question the rigid doctrines to which she was subjected by the practitioners of biblical literalism. The book resonated with me because I have asked all the same questions and come to similar conclusions. The main differences between us are (1) she can explain much more clearly than I can, and (2) it took her only 40 years to reach a state of liberation from the shackles of religion, as opposed to my own 75 years!

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and was Shot by the Taliban
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and was Shot by the Taliban

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this to be educated, to be made angry, and to be inspired., 30 Nov. 2013
We hear news stories from Afghanistan and Pakistan, about US drone strikes, about Osama Bin Laden, about the Taliban, about the rights (or absence of them) of women; but we need a book like this from someone who has grown up amongst all this to enable us to "taste" and "feel" what is going on.

Malala is a remarkable young woman, if for no other reason than she read Professor Hawking's "Brief History of Time" at the age of 11. Here is a young girl growing up in the Swat Valley, passionately interested in improving herself and others through education, in spite of the fact that this was against the cultural and religious norms of her people. When the Taliban took hold and tried to bomb and shoot her community back to the Middle Ages (using 21st century weapons of course) Malala, her friends and family, found it harder and harder to carry on the fight for education, but they never gave up.

As we all know, Malala was in due course shot for her trouble, was saved from near death, initially by a Pakistani military hospital, and later with essential medical follow-up treatment to complete her recovery so far as was possible by a British hospital.

Malala's book taught me a great deal about the history of India and Pakistan, the proud Pashtun people (of whom she is one), and her interpretation of Islam. On this last point, although I am not religious myself, I found her religious views to be a beacon of light in the dark fog of fanatical Islamic views we have recently been exposed to by fundamentalists, hate preachers, and suicide bombers. To her, Islam is the very antithesis of all that.

I was educated (about the Swat Valley and its people) angered (by the relentless lunacy of the Taliban), and inspired (by Malala's personal courage).

This book is an essential read.

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you don't like Socialism you'll understand the reasons for it's birth, 11 Nov. 2013
The term "Philanthropists" is a tongue-in-cheek reference to the working men of the early 20th century who so "loved" their employers and masters that they were prepared to work excessive hours in poor conditions for virtually nothing. The story is written from the point of view of a man employed as a painter and decorator in the fictitious town of Mugsborough.

It is a graphic portrayal of the disgusting conditions in which ordinary working men had to work and live, barely scraping enough together to support their miserable families living in sub-standard accommodation. There is a good deal of political "lecturing" carried on by way of lunch-break discussions between the workers, which highlights the way in which most people were resigned to their lowly station, and could never expect to better themselves, nor did they think they ought to better themselves. They were destined to remain that way forever, passing on the burden to their children. They took the trouble to vote at elections, either for Liberals or Conservatives, both described as self-serving and almost identical in their support for an unfettered capitalist system.

One or two demented (as seen by their fellow workers) Socialists argue for an overhaul of the political system and an end to free market capitalism, but it is a depressingly uphill struggle for this minority.

The story is both depressing and amusing, with liberal use of names slightly reminiscent of Charles Dickens, e.g., Mr Sweater, Sir Graball D'Encloseland, messrs. Didlum & Grinder, etc.

It held my attention throughout.

London Map: Bus Map and Guide for Visitors
London Map: Bus Map and Guide for Visitors
by Bensons MapGuides
Edition: Map

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep this with you, 4 Sept. 2013
If you are visiting London, this excellent little map provides clear views of the street system, the tube stations, and - most importantly - the bus routes. There is also a small tube map. It's easy to plan your journeys using this publication.

For Crying Out Loud: The World According to Clarkson Volume 3
For Crying Out Loud: The World According to Clarkson Volume 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarkson rarely disappoints, 4 Sept. 2013
Jeremy Clarkson puts into print so many of the thoughts we are thinking but hardly dare articulate. His articles are the perfect antidote for political correctness. It's full of mad exaggerations, but we know not to take them as fact. A good laugh.

CRASH! How I Lost a Hundred Billion and Found True Love (Kindle Single)
CRASH! How I Lost a Hundred Billion and Found True Love (Kindle Single)

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice tongue-in-cheek look at EU Finance, 4 Sept. 2013
A surreal little story that sends up the madness of EU regulations and financial control. An easy read providing lots of chuckles.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6