Profile for Adrian Howard > Reviews

Content by Adrian Howard

Adrian Howard

Kensington Wireless 2.4 GHz USB Presenter and Red Laser Pointer - Compatible with PowerPoint and KeyNote

5.0 out of 5 stars Since I've just recommended this to a friend verbally I thought I might ..., 19 Aug. 2014
Since I've just recommended this to a friend verbally I thought I might as a well write a review since I've dug up the link.

Last year I was looking for a new remote, and a couple of friends recommended this. I'm glad they did.

It's "just worked" on half a dozen different Mac's & PCs. It's just worked in really large rooms where my last remote failed. The batteries last an age. One of those bits of kit that's always in my bag and has never failed. Recommended.

FISHER SPACE PEN DELUX GRIP BULLET - BLACK WITH CAPACITIVE STYLUS
FISHER SPACE PEN DELUX GRIP BULLET - BLACK WITH CAPACITIVE STYLUS
Offered by Playgo

2.0 out of 5 stars The only Fisher pen I've regretted buying, 18 May 2014
I lost my last bullet space pen a few months back, and this seemed like it would be a nice replacement. I spend a lot of time with tablets and having a stylus always with me would be a boon.

The stylus itself works okay, but it's not very robust. It's already cracked after a couple of months and I don't see it lasting much longer. I've had freebie stylus pens that I've had a couple of years that are still going.

The second, and larger problem, is that the stylus end of the pen unscrews - one assumes so that you can replace the stylus. Unfortunately it works free all of the time. Almost every time I get the pen out I need to tighten up the end before I can start writing. I've had the pen spring open in my pocket, in bags, while writing. Very annoying

Finally, and this is more of a personal taste issue, previous bullet pens I've owned have had an all-metal barrel. This one has rubber grips. I personally prefer the all-metal look.

I've had four or five Fisher pens in the past. They've all been excellent. This one isn't… avoid. Nice idea, poorly implemented.

Equoid: A Laundry novella: A Tor.Com Original (Laundry Files)
Equoid: A Laundry novella: A Tor.Com Original (Laundry Files)

5.0 out of 5 stars There's something nasty in the woodshed... and Bob has to say hello., 31 Oct. 2013
Great fun - for Lovecraftian levels of fun.

An unholy mashup of unicorns, DEFRA, the civil service, the artists rifles and, of course, *that* farm in Howling, Sussex. Welcome to ruralshire and business as usual for our favourite unreliable narrator Bob Howard.

Probably not the best place to kick off if you're not already familiar with Bob's adventures -- but a fine addition for those who are already fans.

UX for Lean Startups: Faster, Smarter User Experience Research and Design
UX for Lean Startups: Faster, Smarter User Experience Research and Design

5.0 out of 5 stars A recommended read for all startup folk, 24 May 2013
This is an opinionated book, but in a good way. Laura gives concrete and amazingly jargon free advice on how startups can get the most from UX work. Each chapter ends with a "Go Do This Now!" section giving strong direction to those new to UX, and food for thought for experienced practitioners.

Not only is it useful - it's even entertaining. When one of the learning outcomes for a chapter is "Feel superior to people who refuse to do research for several awful reasons." what's not to like!

(Oh. If you're the kind of person who objects to the occasional mild cuss word - this book has the occasional mild cuss word :-)

If I was being extra picky I could find a few things I wish were different. The book would be even more useful if there were pointers to further learning after you had the basics nailed. I totally love paper prototyping while Laura has a section titled "Loosely Related Rant: Why I Hate Paper Prototypes" (then again any book that has a regular sub-heading of "Loosely related Rant" should win a prize!). But this sort of thing falls into the category of churlish niggles by somebody who wishes they had written this book, rather than actual criticism.

This is a recommended read for all startup folk - whether researcher, designer, developer or entrepreneur. If you buy this book and apply what it teaches then you'll start building a better product and a better business.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2014 12:33 PM GMT