Profile for J. Otto > Reviews

Sail
Sail
by James Patterson

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge Disappointment!, 10 Dec 2008
This review is from: Sail (Hardcover)
Actually I don't know why I have written huge disappointment, because I have been disappointed in a lot Patterson has put out over the years. Why did I bother to read it? Only because it is co-written. Even that does not save the book! Glad I got it from the library otherwise it would have been a huge waste of money. Stupid plot! Stupid characters and authors killed off early the one character that could have been used to create a better story. This has gone the way of Mary Higgins-Clark rubbish over the years.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2013 12:13 PM BST

Hold Tight
Hold Tight
by Harlan Coben

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 May 2008
This review is from: Hold Tight (Hardcover)
I'm not a fan of Harlan's Myron novels but his stand-alones are great. Hold Tight is his best novel to date. Absolutely loved it! Expertly written, brilliantly crafted. I did wonder how Nash and his partner could possibly tie in with the main story and the fact that Harlan had me wondering that in the first place is great suspense. Well done, Harlan!

The Naming Of The Dead
The Naming Of The Dead
by Ian Rankin

1.0 out of 5 stars Yes Rankin is overrated!, 6 Oct 2007
This review is from: The Naming Of The Dead (Hardcover)
I know Rankin has millions of fans but I don't know why. This is the first and last book I will read about Rebus. The story rambled - boring - and if I hadn't been required to do a book review on it, I would have given up long before I did (half way through). thank goodness I didn't spend my own money on the book!

The Betrayed
The Betrayed
by David Hosp
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars great read!, 5 Oct 2007
Really enjoyed this novel. the Betrayed, for me, was more enjoyable than Dark Harbour. I tend to bypass anything that has the word "terrorist' in it. Give me a real good old mystery any day. I did guess the 'bad guy' but as a writer, that's par for the course.

Lucy in the Sky
Lucy in the Sky
by Paige Toon

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucy is great!, 30 Aug 2007
This review is from: Lucy in the Sky (Paperback)
This is a fab fun book. I loved it! Laughed out loud at the jokes, esp the fly and the deer jokes! It's a wonderful debut and Paige Toon is up there with the best of the Irish authors. Can't wait for her next book.
-Just decided I better read the One Star reviews and can hardly believe them! I am no relation to Paige Toon - never heard of her before. her characters are wonderful. Loved them! I was sorry when the book ended. and no, she wouldnt be allowed to quote Marian Keyes if Keyes hadn't said it for herself.

Cross the River to Home
Cross the River to Home
by Kaye Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Cross the River To Home, 24 July 2007
Thoroughly enjoyed reading about bygone days of life in New Zealand. We have a rich history, albeit a 'young' history compared to Europe, and the author has captured a time and place very successfully. I look forward to the next book by this accomplished author.

In Extreme Danger: Chasing and Filming Natural Disasters and Catastrophic Weather Around the Globe
by Geoff Mackley

5.0 out of 5 stars In Extreme Danger, 18 July 2007
New Zealander Geoff Mackley is one of the planet's most daring individuals. He is a world leader in photography of our restless Earth in all its dangerous moods. He is the star of Discovery Channel series "Dangerman." Armed with his camera, and constanty evading those that would prevent him from recording nature's fury, his fearlessness has allowed us to share his exploits in this wonderful book.
The production of "In Extreme Danger," the informative text that describes in depth the science behind Earth's powerful events is fascinating - the photography excellent. It's all there - volcanoe, tsunamis, tornadoes, cyclones, hurricans and typoons and the coldest place on Earth. I highly recommend this book. If you aquire it, you will not be disappointed. John Otto

Coral: A Pessimist in Paradise
Coral: A Pessimist in Paradise
by Steve Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Coral: A Pessimist in Paradise, 28 Jun 2007
This splendid book joins science with history politics, myths and literature. Coral takes you on a spectacular journey of enlightenment with an unlikely group of individuals - Darwin, Captain Cook, Gauguin on Tahiti, as well as a visit to Bikini Atoll where atomic bombs were tested and false promises were made to unfortunate islanders.

The author's sparkling narrative reveals fascinating information on coral - a tiny creature with astonishing engineering skill; creatures whose DNA relates close to our own, and is almost as complex and in some ways superior to our own. Human's stewardship of Earth has been far from exemplary and under our heavy footprint many species are in sharp decline. Others have succumbed and are no more. Perhaps through our own greed and exploitation of the planet's resources we, too, are precariously close to the point of no return.

Coral is without a doubt a five star read

Stripped
Stripped
by Brian Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Stripped -, 6 Jun 2007
This review is from: Stripped (Paperback)
This is fantastic crime writing. I'm a fan of Karin Slaughter and Brian Freeman is right up there with Slaughter. I thoroughly enjoyed Freeman's first novel, Immoral and Stripped is even better. Can't wait for his next novel. buy it!

I Heard That Song Before
I Heard That Song Before
by Mary Higgins Clark

1.0 out of 5 stars I HEARD THAT SONG BEFORE - Mary Higgins Clark, 2 Jun 2007
Absolute drivel. Not the MHC of old (her first couple of books.)

The killer is obvious from the start. The motivation too. Terrible characterisation, plot etc. Don't waste you money!

what amazes me is that her editors let this stuff hit the shelves. She sells on her name only.... certainly not her story or characters.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3