Profile for Mr. N. D. Flint > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. D. Flint

Mr. N. D. Flint "Stormin' Norman"

Page: 1 | 2
Tamara de Lempicka Art Print, Portrait of a Young Girl in a Green Dress 1930 (36 x 28cm Art Prints/Posters)
Offered by Easyart

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture perfect, 20 July 2010
This poster is a high quality reprint with fine definition and rich colour, which does great justice to this style of painting, based as it is on a form of cubisism. I know very little about Tamara de Lempicka, except to say she was a member of the Bloomsberry Set of artists working in London in the 1930's, but even so it was the image painted here that was the attraction regardless of her background. The image gives the impression of a young woman posing in a strong wind with her green dress billowing around her body, so its no wonder she has to hang onto her hat!!
The poster was printed on good quality paper and arrived in a sturdy postal tube, being an unframed copy, without any damage. It is now framed and hanging on a wall in the living room of my house and is a joy to view.

Dazzling Stranger
Dazzling Stranger

5.0 out of 5 stars Bedazzling Bert, 2 July 2010
This review is from: Dazzling Stranger (Audio CD)
Once in a while there comes along a record that does justice to an artist's career and in "Dazzling Stranger", we have a compilation that does an excellent job in highlighting the work of Bert Jansch. These 2 discs cover his output from 1965 to 2000 and includes not only his solo work, but also his music with John Renbourn, The Pentangle and Lauren Auerbach/Richard Newman.
His solo writing has always been strong with such songs as, Needle of Death, It don't bother me, One to a hundred and Looking for love, but his arrangements of traditional songs such as, Blackwaterside (reportedly used by Jimmy Page for Black Mountain Side, on Zep 1), Rosemary Lane, Lady Fair and Three Dreamers are equally as skilful. I now own such albums as, It don't bother me, Rosemary Lane, Moonshine, A Rare Conundrum ( always been a personal favourite of mine) and Crimson Moon, since buying this compliation a few months ago. Although his instrumental playing has always been excellent, his voice(always an accquired taste) has suffered through the years from smoking and it has become less strong and more mellow in his later 1990's recordings.
There are 44 songs to choose from on these discs and they show that Bert's guitar playing stretched to folk rock, folk baroque and english folk music. The " Dazzling Stranger" also includes an excellent set of notes which not only trace Bert's recording career, but also give summary information on each of the albums from which the songs came from. All the notes were written by Colin Harper who is the author of the book, Dazzling Stranger, which covers Bert Jansch and his role in the English folk/blues revival. It's been a joy for me to write this review, having been a long time fan since the early 1970's, when I first heard Bert's playing on various Transatlantic samplers. I just hope my review can encourage you to listen and enjoy this extremely interesting and highly regarded performer too, even if you only ever buy this great collection.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Vettriano, 1 July 2010
Another classic image painted by Jack Vettriano, this modernist style is hard to beat in terms of both colour and subject matter. This print is a very good reproduction of the original and is a lovely picture well worth hanging on anybody's wall in a suitable frame. The unframed print was despatched from All Poster UK in a quality postal tube and arrived in good condition and well within the delivery schedule given. I would have no hestitation in ordering through this seller, via Amazon, in the future given the quality of service involved. Well done to all concerned.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Star picture, 29 Mar 2010
This item is a good and clear photographic image reprinted on high quality paper. The colours are excellent and the images are well defined and it was equal to my expectations before I received it. One small personal point, although there was plain bordering on either side of the image, I would have also liked some bordering top and bottom as well, to assist in framing the photograph. Whether this a result of restrctions in the printing process, I'm not certain, but overall it hasn't spoiled my enjoyment of the framed article. The delivery was good and the photograph arrived undamaged and in good condition and I have since gone onto order a second picture from this source with confidence.

Vivaldi - Complete Violin Concertos Op 8
Vivaldi - Complete Violin Concertos Op 8
Offered by Fast Fulfilment

5.0 out of 5 stars Concertos for all seasons, 29 Mar 2010
In the past I have always found it difficult to buy complete sets of Vivaldi's Op 8 concertos, as the market has always been dominated by recordings of the first 4 concertos (The Four Seasons), but here on Amazon we have a very inexpensive way of achieving that goal. The recording here by Enrico Casazza and the La Magnifica Communita on period instruments is very clear and pleasing with no sharp edges, like I've found with Tafelmusik/Lamon's recording of the Four Seasons; this recording I do find quite tiring at times in comparison and so does not get played very often. A further comparison with Lamon's 1-4 concertos shows diferences in the phrasing and decoration by Casazza, which make the these concertos found fresher and less familiar than usual, here I am also comparing this against the old ASMF/Loveday recording of some years ago. But the real jewel of this set is on CD2, where we have the Concertos 7-12, the playing here is marvellous and full of life. These lovely performances caught my ear and I sat and listened to these concertos one after the other in one sitting, thinking that with playing and interpretation like this, these concertos should never be so overlooked as they are.
The clear recording compliments the playing and the small ensemble that is La Magnifica Communita is well balanced against the soloist to provide a satisfying support in the sound stage. I am extremely pleased with this purchase of the Brillant Classics label version of Op8 and I expect it to remain a firm favourite in my collection for years to come. A thanks to Amazon for not only leading me to such a recording throught their excellent music directory, but also to their fast and efficent service in sending this recording.

Atem
Atem
Offered by actionrecords

5.0 out of 5 stars Exotic Dream, 16 Feb 2010
This review is from: Atem (Audio CD)
I originally bought this album back in 1975 on the back of having copies of both Phaedra and Rubycon, to look at how the early Dream sounded before their commercial breakthrough with Virgin records and it was quite a suprise. This album sounded so exotic and primodial in comparison to Phaedra, that I would have not expected such an artistic leap between the two albums at that time.
The central "space music" section on the track Atem is similar to track sections on both Phaedra and Rubycon, but the way it is arranged seems more imaginative somehow. The other tracks I like, Fauni-Gena and Wahn seem like nothing I heard by the Dream before and their originality is striking. These 2 tracks have a sinister, primal quality and a sense of an alien life, which is made more eerie by listening late at night. Other reviewers here have already given as full a track by track description as is possible and I can add nothing to their comments.
The album is still a very interesting listen, even after nearly 40 years and is worth a place in anybody's collection of electronic music. As I remember the time in the seventies when this was reviewed, it considered to the best album of the Dream's early years and although I sampled tracks from both Zeit and Alpha Centuri, they never quite impressed me so much as the music on Atem did.
Although Tangerine Dream found greater commercial sucess through their later albums, the imagination and originality of Atem, for me personally, was never to be equalled again. This an album I shall return to often and given it's improved sound on this latest CD version, it will remain a good listening experience.

Page: 1 | 2