Profile for Conor Maguire > Reviews

Content by Conor Maguire

Conor Maguire "Mig" (Northern Ireland)

Your Favorite Music
Your Favorite Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the Essential Rocks Beneath, 12 Jun 2011
This review is from: Your Favorite Music (Audio CD)
A fabulous masterpiece of all that's great about the Alt Country genre (& for the pigeon-holing, I apologize), and any other.

Classy, sarcastic, funny, and moving songwriting, coupled with wonderful timeless music, & set against a backdrop of splendid minimalism, makes this an album that is completely and utterly essential. The instrumental timbre of Eef's voice makes me cry - I exaggerate not when I proclaim his to be one of this world's greatest vocal instruments. And of course with him, the glorious band are as much a bunch of delicate craftsmen as those that produced the heads of Easter Island.

A truly a wonderful & memorable collection of songs. And has the rare effervescence of something that you know instinctively is special from the very first listen.

A rare musical moment that I wish I was experiencing again for the first time.

Enjoy.

The Wasteland, Prufrock, and Other Poems
The Wasteland, Prufrock, and Other Poems
by Professor T S Eliot
Price: 5.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Agree With Last Reviewer, 12 Jun 2011
God bless Rob Spence. It makes me happy to think here are still people in this parched world like your good self.

Buy the Faber one readers if you want an introduction to the great man. My copy has wine-stained pages fallin out for goodness sake and when I replace it, it will be with more of the same, not with this abomination.

Casting at the Sun
Casting at the Sun
by Christopher Yates
Price: 12.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Memorable, 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: Casting at the Sun (Hardcover)
I've read quite a few angling books by now, some classics in their own right. Indeed I've read quite a few books by now, some classics in their own right too. And I remember a handful of them all. This little glittering gemstone is among that handful.

A diary, make no mistake, of pure unadulterated obsession. A necessary obsession that is remembered vividly, crafted lovingly, and presented with a rare lyricism and warmth I found beautifully balanced & wholly immersive. And of course it is a diary of what led eventually to a huge sporting achievement, but that (I imagine with the author's intention) takes almost second stage. We get to live those days with Chris; walk the paths of his childhood memories; soak up the atmosphere of wild secret waters we'll never get to fish; get a rumbling stomach on cold mornings with him; get sent on wild goose-chases with him, laugh at and admire alike his piscatorial friends, and share in his triumphs and disasters. He invites us into the heart of what angling is all about, softly and with no judgement or snobbery.

I love this book. You'll love this book.

Cheers Chris...

The Princess Bride
The Princess Bride
by William Goldman
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable., 26 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Princess Bride (Paperback)
If you love the story and have only seen the film, then you're missing out hugely.

The story lends itself to this format [as do most] better than film. You'll get to learn so much more
about the characters, and as a result find more depth and enjoyment.

It will be stable diet in my family for generations (hopefully).

Script For A Jester's Tear
Script For A Jester's Tear
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Formative, 31 Aug 2008
I was a huge Marillion fan. And Fish had a large influence on me I suppose in my 'pubic' years. This was fresh air to me, even though it seemed not to be to some at the time. Of course all the accusations, both then & now, of similarities musically with Genesis & other proggers in the first half of the seventies are reasonable, HOWEVER, when thoroughly examined don't really hold up. I'm a garGANTuan early Genesis fan I should point out. And when I want to listen to Genesis I listen to Gabe & co. When I want to listen to Marillion I listen to Fish & co. That's it. Mostly I'm NEVER in the same mood. Both instil vastly different emotion sets in me, and the writing is utterly different. Please let this be the last time anyone compares them. All bands have their influences obviously, but that's that.

Now this album resonates most with me. Naturally I adore all four, as they all contain a wonderful tangible atmosphere, however it seems this one has stood the rigours of time better than the others. As have those B-Sides that have only been celebrated by fans, which is a shame as songs like 3 Boats are among the finest the band ever produced. And I'll never stop loving 'Grendel': and note I feel [once again] the need to point out, that in a COMPletely different way I'll never stop loving 'Suppers Ready'. So there.

So to this album's songs then:
'Script' is a excruciating heartbreaker & very beautiful. The Web is as powerful a piece of music as you'll ever hear. Chelsea's just atmosphere. Garden Party is huge fun, and still a belter with those timeless keyboards. & more.

As for the artwork:
There's a little piece of every Marillion fan on that front cover - the face should've been a mirror.

So I welcome and recommend this release. If you have never tried Scotland's finest exposers of angst, spiritually claustrophobic, and (I'll head out on a limb here) tongue-&-cheek theatre, then look no further, buy this wee bad boy. If you regret it, post back and I'll personally refund you.

Mig.

The Stage Names
The Stage Names
Price: 9.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 11 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Stage Names (Audio CD)
Yep - this band have matured perfectly, this time like a nurtured Pinot Noir.

If you are one of those people that always thought OR were a band of 'almost but not quite', then let me assure you 'quite' has most definitely arrived. In abundance.

This is a very accomplished album indeed. Cleverly crafted, musically layered & complex, and wonderfully written (as always) and performed. The result is a rich exciting, and thoroughly enjoyable experience from start to finish - no fillers to be found here. And let me not forget great beauty too (Girl in Port).

This is (and no doubt will be) considered OR's best album. And rightfully so.

Long long long may this highly underrated band continue in this vein. As this has left me hungry for more. Much more.

"Let fall your soft and swaying skirt /
let fall your shoes /
let fall your shirt /
I'm not the ladykilling sort /
enough to hurt a girl in port"

Wonderful stuff and highly, HIGHLY recommended for the music enthusiast.

Being There
Being There
Price: 6.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Alt Country's Locus Classicus, 11 Jan 2008
This review is from: Being There (Audio CD)
This is without a shadow of a doubt the finest Wilco album. It is a masterpiece in every way a collection of songs can be considered so. 12 years on and it still delivers like it was released yesterday.

Perfect, raw, life-affirming, passsionate, & philosophical.

Greatness in the genre and in the medium.

Discerning music fans that have missed it, grab this [supposed] black cygnet, settle it in among your favourite ducklings, and watch what happens from there.

Sound of Lies
Sound of Lies
Offered by Blind Owl Records
Price: 5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 9 Nov 2007
This review is from: Sound of Lies (Audio CD)
One of the great songwriters, alongside a wonderful mix of musicians, and wearing his heart on his sleave, Louris gently, energetically, and respectfully buries everything that came before. SOL is a bonefide Masterpiece, and with it deserves its place among the great albums in anyone's lifetime.

To borrow a phrase of a very good friend of mine: "It's a no risk purchase..". Enjoy.

Jane's Addiction
Jane's Addiction
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely under-rated, 11 Aug 2007
This review is from: Jane's Addiction (Audio CD)
This more than any other captures the spirit and philosophy JA. You can marvel all you want at the large production (and undeniable brilliance) of Nothing's Shocking, and froth at the mouth for Ritual, but when the push comes to the. Well. What hasn't been said about this wee gem, simply hasn't been SAID - I'm disappointed to note (shame on you Music fans..). So I'll throw the old oar in if noone objects too much.

Contains great beauty. & I do not say that lightly. Perry's in the finest voice, and it feels like you're privvy to greatness all the way through. Obviously Jane Says is the finest moment on the album - listening to this version you know why Perry wrote the song, not why he recorded it (Nothing's Shocking), but buy this album for so much more than that. EVERY song is perfectly crafted, performed, & feisty (God bless 'em). The RS cover is better than the original and the VU is respectfully and artistically rendered. And the rest are just lovely.

If you're one of those people that appreciates real music and seeks it's centre without been TOLD how to find or perceive it, then make sure you don't miss out on this.

Long live JA and thanks for the memories.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2009 11:29 PM BST

Pony Express Record
Pony Express Record

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Fiver you'll ever spend., 29 July 2006
This review is from: Pony Express Record (Audio CD)
Can't believe an album like this has sat in the vaults all lonely and unloved, with no review whatsoever! I shall then with modest keyboard attempt to do it justice in just a few sentences.

Seminal. Influential. Important. Chunky. Inspiring. Passionate. Rockin'. Every tune catches you unawares, teases you, and then hits you with melodic punch after melodic punch.

There are few better albums than this for accompanying you over a 30 mile drive. You simply must leave the car deaf as a fencepost. You'll be Elated too. Without bands like these we would live in a dreary hell where driving is no fun.

It rewards the patient or downright stubborn listener. It takes a few spins, however matures beautifully like a 2000 Bordeaux. I emplore you, if you are going to buy one STT record, make it the Pony Express one. It's their locus classicus.

Enjoy.