Profile for Mr. B. J. Roberts > Reviews

Content by Mr. B. J. Roberts

Mr. B. J. Roberts "bazza83"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Mortal Error: The Shot That Killed JFK
Mortal Error: The Shot That Killed JFK
by Bonar Menninger

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting theory, 18 Mar. 2014
What really happened on that fateful day in Dallas 1963, may never be known, there are so many holes in the Warren Commission, and it leaves so many questions unanswered, it can't really be relied upon.

As far as JFK conspiracies go, "Mortal Error" is an interesting one - far better and more plausible than some of the more outlandish claims that the Mafia, the Cubans or even Frank Sinatra killed the President.
I wouldn't say I'm totally convinced by it, but it is lent a certain gravitas by the fact Howard Donahue was a firearms expert, has years of experience and has testified in Federal court cases, he clearly knows what he is talking about when it comes to guns and ballistics.

It does offer an answer to some questions that official documents have failed to answer, whether those answers are the correct ones is down to the reader to decide, but it is such a wild theory that it just might be true.

It is a very well written book and is well worth a read for anybody with an interest in the subject.

Outpost 11 [DVD]
Outpost 11 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anthony Woodley
Offered by Home Entertainment Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Outpost 11 [DVD] (DVD)
Although billed as a horror movie, this is more of a psychological thriller and anyone expecting a gore filled movie packed with those make-you-jump moments may be disappointed.

Set in a fictional war in an alternate reality, three soldiers find themselves manning a remote Arctic outpost, all but cut off from the rest of the world. In this isolated setting, madness and paranoia starts to creep in and although short on traditional scares, what this film does is build up a tense, very uneasy feeling throughout, with a slow burning and deliberate pace.

This will not be to everyone's taste, but it is certainly original and there has been a dearth of originality in film making lately. It is well acted, the producers have done a remarkable job with a limited budget and best of all it has the capacity to stick with you - almost haunt you - long after the credits have rolled.

Imagine if you will; 'The Thing' meets Cronenberg.

High Hopes CD+DVD [Region 0]
High Hopes CD+DVD [Region 0]
Offered by positivenoise

3.0 out of 5 stars Not vintage Boss, 23 Jan. 2014
I have been a fan of Springsteen for many many years, in fact, the first cassette tape I ever brought was Born in the USA when I was 9 years old!!

While "High Hopes" is an interesting album, it is not one of his best, but he should be given credit for trying something new and not simply resting on his laurels. "High Hopes" is good, but some of the songs such as 'Harry's place' sound like B sides that simply weren't good enough to get onto his other studio albums. The biggest flaw on the album for me, is the guitar work of Tom Morello. While there is no doubting that Morello is a brilliant and unique guitarist, his style of play does not sit comfortably with the rest of the E street band and sometimes proves to be somewhat of a distraction. The high points are 'Down in the Hole' and the electrifying rendition of 'Ghost of Tom Joad,' but this is not vintage stuff from the Boss.

3 stars probably seems a little harsh, but when Springsteen has set the bar so high, he must be judged by higher standards than everyone else.

Breaking Bad - The Final Season* [DVD]
Breaking Bad - The Final Season* [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston

1.0 out of 5 stars When will we stop being ripped off?, 21 Jan. 2014
Breaking Bad is one of the greatest television shows I have ever seen, truly worthy of 5 stars.

This DVD however gets 1 star because this is merely the second half of season 5, released separately from the other eight episodes, just so they can screw more money out of us.

I did some shopping around, I can buy the complete Breaking Bad box set for £40, but to buy season 5 separately will cost at least £25!! Something very wrong there.

Release Season 5 in one volume, just like all 4 other seasons, then I'll happily hand over my money!

I read an interview the other day, where a TV producer (can't remember his name) was complaining about illegal downloads and how the industry was being ripped off. I just thought; "well buddy, now you know how we feel!"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2014 8:57 AM BST

The Dead Inside DVD
The Dead Inside DVD
Dvd ~ Luke Hobson

2.0 out of 5 stars Very dubious of the 5 star reviews, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Dead Inside DVD (DVD)
I watched this the other day based on the 5 star reviews it was receiving. I suspect these reviewers were either involved in the production of the film, or were friends of those involved - this sort of thing has happened before.

It tried very hard and they clearly made good use of the budget they had, but the script and characterisation are poor and the acting mostly terrible. It appears to be little more than a college project.

I love zombie films, but I have seen much, much better.

And it loses marks for trying to deceive the customer with probably bogus 5 star reviews.

Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Crackers [DVD] [2012]
Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Crackers [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Brendan O'Carroll

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 4 Oct. 2013
I don't see the attraction of a man dressed as a woman telling jokes that wouldn't be out of place in the 1970's. I've heard it compared to comedy greats such as 'Only Fools and Horses,' which quite frankly is insulting.
I find it even more insulting that this even appeared on my Amazon recommendations.
If toilet humour is your thing, knock yourself out, but this is one of the worst "comedies" I've ever seen.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2013 7:07 PM GMT

Crime Traveller: The Complete Series [1997] [DVD]
Crime Traveller: The Complete Series [1997] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael French
Offered by Revelation Films Direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe this has a DVD release!, 4 Oct. 2013
I remember watching this on TV and I also remember it being one of the worst TV shows ever to air on British TV.

It is still as bad as I remember.

After Earth [DVD] [2013]
After Earth [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Will Smith
Offered by FLASH

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst film ever made, 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: After Earth [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
"After Earth" is the hot tip to clear up at the 'Razzies' and anyone who had the misfortune to sit through this travesty of a film, will not be surprised. I generally like Will Smith, but he barely does anything in the film. He merely sits around with the same stone faced expression, while his untalented son runs around a jungle looking like he's suffering from constipation. Its not hard to figure out why Jaden Smith was cast; "After Earth" is the ultimate act of nepotism.

This is possibly the worst film I have ever seen. I saw this film for free and still felt I was due a refund.

Breaking Bad - Season 5* [DVD + UV Copy]
Breaking Bad - Season 5* [DVD + UV Copy]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston

1.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant show but a blatant rip off!!, 11 Sept. 2013
Season 5 was split into two parts - separated by a mid season interval - but it IS the same season.
What we have here though, is half a season. 8 episodes for the same price as what you would pay for a full season. To try and justify this blatant rip off, they have creatively titled the second half of this season; "the final season," in order to get another £18 out of us.
When they release the whole season on DVD, I will buy it, but I am not going to buy half a season at full price.
Maybe if the producers stopped treating us like mugs, maybe if they stopped trying to rip us off, people would be less inclined to illegally download!! Just a thought.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2013 7:02 AM GMT

The White Queen [DVD]
The White Queen [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rebecca Ferguson

1.0 out of 5 stars Another dull, boring and uninspiring offering from the BBC, 11 July 2013
This review is from: The White Queen [DVD] (DVD)
On paper the White Queen should have been good, a drama based on Philippa Gregory's best-seller about one of the most turbulent times in English history; The War of The Roses.

What we are presented with though is a medieval soap opera. The lack of historical accuracy I can live with, the anachronisms I can live with. What I can't live with is the poor acting, even worse scripting, the complete lack of chemistry between the leads and the general dullness of the entire production. This really does border on the wrong side of boredom.

I look across the ocean with envy and wonder what the likes of HBO could have made with the source material on offer. In the hands of the BBC they have given us - like the title says - a dull and uninspiring drama.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2013 7:52 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10