Profile for Mr. B. J. Roberts > Reviews

Content by Mr. B. J. Roberts

Mr. B. J. Roberts "bazza83"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Hostel Part II - Unseen Edition [2007] [DVD]
Hostel Part II - Unseen Edition [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lauren German
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Pointless, 8 Nov. 2007
This has to go down as one of the most pointless sequels ever made. If you've seen the first film then there is no point watching the sequel because its pretty much the same film. Only this time round we get a bunch of girls rather than a bunch of guys and we also get to see the film from the point of view of the businessmen who pay for the "privelige" of torturing the poor unfortunate victims. Roth certainly isn't one to pull his punches, but I feel half the stuff up on screen is designed only to shock the audience.

Its not a bad film, its just not that good either.

Heroes: Season 1 - Part 1 [DVD]
Heroes: Season 1 - Part 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Coleman
Offered by Champion Toys

1.0 out of 5 stars FIVE STAR SHOW...one star value, 1 Oct. 2007
Heroes is a brilliant show, one of the best sci fi shows in a long, long time and well worth FIVE stars. With skillful writing and all round good performances, it manages to believably place superheroes in a real life environment. I caught this show on satellite TV and was hooked from the first episode.

However I give this one star because once more UK customers are being shamefully ripped off. As I discovered with the LOST box sets, we are paying around £30 for a box set and we don't even get the whole series!!! We have to pay another £30 for the second half of the show!!! There can be no justification for what I consider to be daylight robbery when you consider that in the USA we can buy the entire series for half the price!!!

Severance [DVD] [2006]
Severance [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Danny Dyer
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Jet black humour!, 1 July 2007
This review is from: Severance [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I avoided this film on its initial release, because it was 'highly recommended' to me by a friend and his recommendations are usually an indication of how terrible a film is. However, for once, he was right.

"Severance" puts its ensemble cast in the middle of a team building exercise in an unspecified East European countryside and then terrorizes them with a group of p****d off ex soldiers.

There are several elements to the film which make the film work. Firstly the dynanmic between the cast members is tremendous, giving the impression that this is a team of people that has been working together for a long time. Each of the characters are well written and well rounded, when something inevitable gruesome happens to them, we actually do care. Secondly, the blend of horror and humour is spot on. Its a hard balance to get, but the filmmakers have succeeded in getting the right amount of shocks and the right amount of laughs. I like my humour dark, and this film has a jet black streak running right through it, we find ourselves laughing at things that perhaps we shouldn't be. Thoroughly reccomended.

Right At Your Door [2006] [DVD]
Right At Your Door [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mary McCormack

4.0 out of 5 stars The human angle of terrorism, 29 Jun. 2007
"Right at your door" is a very interesting little independent film. In it, a 'dirty bomb' is exploded in downtown LA and at the advice of the public service anouncement Brad (Rory Cochrane) barricades himself in his house, not knowing if his wife (Mary Mcormack) who has just left for work, is alive or dead. When his wife finally turns up, he is faced with a dilemma; let her in and release deadly toxins into the house or leave her outside and condemn her to certain death.

You can see the obvious budget limitations, but it is still a powerful film, deciding not to show the devastation of the attack and concentrating on just two main characters and showing the human aftermath of a terrorist attack, it puts the audience in a 'what-would-you-do' situation.

The film is helped along by two solid perormances from its leads, and while it does lag a little in the second half, this proves to be the calm before the storm as the film finishes with a real sucker-punch of an ending.

Fahrenheit (Xbox)
Fahrenheit (Xbox)
Offered by Click4entertainment Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, 13 May 2007
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fahrenheit (Xbox) (Video Game)
This is definitely the most frustrating game I have ever played.

The idea is ingenious, basically an interactive movie where you control multiple characters during the aftermath of a murder.

You can interact and do things that will affect the gameplay alter on, not to mention the mental health of the character. However,I don't feel the game is as good as the reviews suggest it to be.

The control system is basically "simon says" where you have to copy the thumbstick movements that are shown on screen, or waggle the left and right triggers. This is the awkward part, I waggle the triggers but its not actually clear what I have to do. Beleive me, you will soon get sick of it. I have got to a part in the game where someone is trying to run me over in a car, but no matter what I do I end up dying in a heap.

The game is addictive though, I will give it that. I have now got so frustrated trying to get past this part of the game, that I'm swearing at my TV and I feel like breaking my xbox, yet I'm still playing it because I want to know what happens next!

Try before you buy.

FIFA 07 (PS2)
FIFA 07 (PS2)
Offered by media-4-u

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad - Not great, but not bad, 13 May 2007
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 07 (PS2) (Video Game)
I'm a Pro Evolution player myself and I've always found them to be better games than FIFA, but a friend had a copy of FIFA 07, so I gave it a go.

Its fun. Initially. Great with two players, its good to get the bragging rights over your mates but it does get tiresome after a while. There are several things in the game that prove to be very annoying.

It does look great, but the control system in comparison with PES is very sluggish and slow and fairly unresponsive, so its hard to play good flowing football. Its also hard to defend, the opposition can seemingly stroll through my defence unchallenged, every defender is out of position, and when you switch your player, it gives you a player that is nowere near the action. Its not terribly realistic either; how come David Beckham can outrun Ashley Cole???!!!?!

Its still football which is in itself worth three stars, but there seems to be nothing new from earlier versions of the game and Pro Evolution Soccer is still much better.

Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (Xbox)
Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (Xbox)
Offered by marxwax

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, 11 May 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I'm not a serious gamer, I don't really have the TIME to be a serious gamer, not enough time to master every single control technique. I like to be able to pick up the controller and have a decent game of football.

PES 5 is a really fun game, but I get the feeling it could have been so much better. Its great fun to play, looks great and flows along at a good pace. Its also great fun with two players but its a different story against the AI.

Long balls don't work, neither do through balls, the opposition has a sixth sense that tells them exaclty where the ball will go. Its impossible to score from free kicks, nearly all my shots seem to be blocked by the defender and why is it that every tackle results in a free kick to the opposition?

The biggest downfall of football games, I find, is that they are either too easy or too difficult. Playing on the easiest setting I can score ten against Arsenal, but by putting it on a higher setting, I am outplayed by teams I've never even heard of, with all the opposition players suddenly transforming into players of Zidane like quality! How many times can a player just waltz through my defence shaking off a dozen tackles before hammering home a shot from 25 yards.

I am also positive that the statistics of players don't actually make a difference. Top class players like Rooney and Gerrard have no first touch, can't pass a ball and lose the ball as soon as the first half hearted tackle comes in.

FIFA 06 (Xbox)
FIFA 06 (Xbox)
Offered by marxwax

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst football game I have ever played, 5 Mar. 2007
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 06 (Xbox) (Video Game)
Someone told me that this was better than the mighty Pro Evolution Soccer. Wow! I thought, I have to give this a go.

Well they were wrong.

Poor graphics, poor gameplay, poor design, players that look nothing like their real lfe counterparts, poor AI .... I could go on forever listing the flaws this game has.

Having spent many years playing various football games I have come to the following conclusion; This is the worst football game I have ever played. A total waste of money.

In fact, my brother just brought an XBOX, so I let him have it. I'll stick to Pro Evolution Soccer in the future and avoid friends advice.

Coles Corner
Coles Corner

5.0 out of 5 stars Near Perfect, 25 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Coles Corner (Audio CD)
"Coles Corner" is easily one of the best albums I have heard in years. Unashamedly old fashioned, Hawley's album is filled with catchy, mellow songs and it proves once again that he is one of the greatest songwriters around. Perfect music to sit back and relax to.

Believe the hype and the accolades and ignore the negative reviews, this is as close to perfect as possible.

The Godfather (Xbox)
The Godfather (Xbox)
Offered by Click4entertainment Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not good enough, 2 Oct. 2006
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Godfather (Xbox) (Video Game)
Firts of all, a three star rating is perhaps a little harsh, GODFATHER is better than a three star game, but this falls just short of four stars, so three is all it gets.

It really is a game full of guilty pleasures; extorting money out of local businesses, bribing cops and starting shootouts on the streets of New York.

This is a good game, great fun and overall is very playable. The programmers deserve credit for sticking so closely to the plot of the film, working missions around events that hapened in the motion picture.

The little niggling problems are what makes me give this a three star rating. I found the control system to be a little tricky at times, especially when fighting mano-a-mano or fighting in enclosed spaces, it's sometimnes hard to see whats going on. It's all too easy to get lost in the vastness of the game, especially when you are racing around looking for a specific place against a time limit. I found myself having to consult the map almost constantly, as the small onscreen navigational map is pretty much useless. A few pointers in the right direction wouldn't have gone a miss. Gunfights can be confusing as well. When there are multiple enemies, you are never really sure where you are being shot from and it can take too long to target manually so you rely upon auto aim which often targets the wrong person.

The missions vary from ridiculously easy to the ridiculously difficult. For instance, you are expected to assault the rival families compound and plant bombs. All on your own! I can barely get near the place before a neverending supply of foot soldiers cuts me in half. Surely the Corleone 'family' could spare a few goons to give you a hand!!!

Its fun to be a gangster but after a while you'll either be bored with the repetition or just plain frustrated.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10